Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2020-07-03 20:26:02

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Fookin' GAFM, again

Yesterday, Josh Nesbitt of Hey! talked to Laura Kalbag from the Small Technology Foundation (ABA Accessibility for Everyone, Better Browser, site.js) and they had a great chat on a range of surveillance capital themes but also the pinch points that developers find themselves in when employing or being asked to employ big corp services.

The video is now available online on heyst.ac for anyone that’s interested (on YouSchoob, though :-/). Here’s the synopsis:

How can we use the web for social good? What tools and techniques already exist, and how can we retain our rights while we use them? In this discussion with Laura and Hey! founder Josh Nesbitt, we’ll cover technologies that improve our everyday lives as well as powering online movements, and how those same technologies can be used against us. Over the past few years, Laura has invested her time fighting for the regulation of surveillance capitalism, while building alternatives in her work for the Small Technology Foundation. In today’s world, activism increasingly relies on technology, making now a more important time than ever to discuss how technology can be used quickly and safely to spread facts and support action.

BTW: @Bloke: Josh must be from your neck of the woods.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#26 2020-07-03 22:44:24

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #324254:

Yesterday, Josh Nesbitt of Hey! talked to Laura Kalbag from the Small Technology Foundation (ABA Accessibility for Everyone, Better Browser, site.js) and they had a great chat on a range of surveillance capital themes but also the pinch points that developers find themselves in when employing or being asked to employ big corp services.

Me wishes a text version (transcript, …) was available for this kind of events / talks. I really don’t have the patience to spend one hour to listen to some people talking, especially when it is hard to understand the language (native English speakers are much more difficult to understand than non-native speakers).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#27 2020-07-03 23:33:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I sat through it on your behalf, phiw13. It was really interesting.

Thanks for sharing, jakob. I might reach out to Josh since he’s local. Not quite sure under what guise, but I like his ethics.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2020-07-04 01:48:47

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #324264:

I sat through it on your behalf, phiw13. It was really interesting.

Oh, I am sure it is interesting, that is why I am mildly annoyed that no transcript is available.

Listening to the video in the background would mean I miss (misunderstand) most of it. I would need to actively listen the whole time, scrub back and forth when I it is hard to understand etc. 30 min video means about 1h of my time. minimum.

( always grateful for Prof. Michael Hudson for posting his talks and chats to his website with a transcript)

#29 2020-07-04 04:06:51

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

thanks for sharing! I’m listening now.

Bloke wrote #324264:

I might reach out to Josh since he’s local. Not quite sure under what guise, but I like his ethics.

Do… The worst you can get is a cold shoulder. The only way we can make txp more visible is to knock doors.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#30 2020-07-04 06:05:21

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #324267:

Oh, I am sure it is interesting, that is why I am mildly annoyed that no transcript is available.

It was on Thursday evening, and their first in that format, so that is missing (at the moment anyway) but I can imagine having a transcript is important to her too given her advocacy for accessibility. She did mention many topics she’s talked about before, so you‘ll find several of her other talks on noti.st but obviously not the Q&A aspect. See also laurakalbag.com for more info.

#31 2020-07-31 09:10:45

Destry
Website

Here we go again, Australian media vs. the tech mafia, just as Congress grilled the mafia for antitrust — not that it will amount to anything that I can see.

#32 2020-07-31 09:57:36

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Luckily that article mentioned the recent French and German (Springer Verlag, folded before you finish saying hey!) experience. They could have added the Spanish experience a few years ago (they wanted to make Google pay, G threatens to remove the new sites from google news, publishers folded in no time).

And wake me when old Rupert (driving force behind d that AUS initiative) removes all the AMP crap from his sites and other prostrating in front of the Google god.

Last edited by phiw13 (2020-07-31 10:08:56)

#33 2020-07-31 16:51:06

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #325034:

Here we go again, Australian media vs. the tech mafia, just as Congress grilled the mafia for antitrust — not that it will amount to anything that I can see.

@destry – coming soon:

Domain Registration fookingoogfarcebook.com
it will be open to all to add content ;-)

Lets Get Busy!

…. texted postive

#34 2020-07-31 17:02:13

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

bici wrote #325048:

@destry – coming soon:

Domain Registration fookingoogfarcebook.com
it will be open to all to add content ;-)

Lets Get Busy!

How else one can respond to this? 👍 :)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#35 2020-07-31 17:27:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Can someone with the right skills (i.e. not me with my current state of mind after a long-ass week) split this topic so we can keep book stuff in one thread and the OP subject matter here, please? Thank you.

#36 2020-07-31 21:23:25

jakob
Admin
Website

gaekwad wrote #325051:

Can someone with the right skills (i.e. not me with my current state of mind after a long-ass week) split this topic so we can keep book stuff in one thread and the OP subject matter here, please? Thank you.

Done … Textpattern Book Club

Board footer