Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-06-17 01:49:25

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

MS Edge browser conundrum

Which version of MS Edge should/could still be supported? All versions have a fairly low usage (caniuse says ~ 2% for versions 16-18 + 81 – globally1, no better breakdown). V16 was released October 2017.

On the plus side, Version 16+ sees the support for CSS Grid and CSS custom properties. On the minus side, no support for HTML <details /> element. JS support in v16-18 is showing its age I am told. That last point is not really a problem for me.

One good thing about Edge-v16-v18 is support for the Windows OS high contrast themes, something that is by default not (yet) supported by Chromium based Edge2. That may matter3. Accessibility wise, I remember reading earlier this year about one survey where users who depend on Accessibility tools (screen readers) preferred to use the still-available IE 11 by quite some margin.

1 as always, take with the necessary pinches of salt. Japan for example sees a 3.1% usage.

2 with new, standardised properties/values and media queries (forced-colors, see here and here.

3 For Textpattern admin for example, if TXP is deployed for a small/bigger organisation, and one of the admin users relies & depends on High Contrast themes.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2020-07-03 07:35:48

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: MS Edge browser conundrum

Until now, people had to go out of their way to install the Chromium-Edge version.

Apparently MS has decided that now is the time to start pushing for people to install/use chromium-edge. And by “pushing” it seems they mean “force- feeding”.
To everybody running Windows 7 and newer.

If this story at the Verge is the general experience, that will be enough to send people back to Windows XP and IE 6 have people stay with their tracking-ware loaded Chrome.

Edge-traitor-edition.

Edit – proofreading…

Last edited by phiw13 (2020-07-03 07:36:37)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2020-07-03 10:06:49

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

So much for Windows 7 reaching end of support, eh?

(I have nothing of value to add.)

#4 2020-07-03 17:19:14

DragonBard

My only comment is, both Google and Apple do this on Android and iPhone. Microsoft is only doing what is accepted behaviour on other platforms, but because it is PC, people throw a fit.

That said, I’ve pretty much switched to Firefox for my personal browsing (but continue to use Edge at work) due to the new website containers available for Firefox.

Board footer