Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-06-27 17:46:58

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Outgrow links tab

Bloke wrote #324056:

The tricky thing with treating everything as an article with a bunch of fields, while noble, is that some types just don’t fit. Primarily, image, file, video, but there are others.

Note that I’ve always made a distinction between ‘physical’ images and their ‘presentation’ enhanced with captions and other garniture. And they are not exception: who says a text can not be stored in a file and imported where appropriate?

I’ve got no clear idea how things should be done. One can imagine that ‘articles’ are composed of ‘atomic’ items (like textual fields) and references to other ‘articles’ (like annotated images).

#14 2020-06-27 17:51:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #324060:

Note that I’ve always made a distinction between ‘physical’ images and their ‘presentation’ enhanced with captions and other garniture. And they are not exception: who says a text can not be stored in a file and imported where appropriate?

True.

One can imagine that ‘articles’ are composed of ‘atomic’ items (like textual fields) and references to other ‘articles’ (like annotated images).

Also true.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2020-06-27 17:52:40

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

maverick wrote #324055:

I’m trying to wrap my head around some of this.

You are not alone :-) Yes, I think custom content types would be great, but many questions are still open.

#16 2020-06-27 18:08:22

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #324062:

Also true.

Then we have just ‘fields’ and ‘files’ as atomic data, and just ‘article’ as content type. Current ‘images’ become image-type ‘articles’ with customizable data set (physical image, caption and whatever you need). ‘Normal’ articles can include them via ‘article_image’ field. Actually, that’s already possible, but not flexible enough.

#17 2020-12-24 15:40:48

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Thank you, Stef.
What good news! Custom fields with section sensitive display will reduce the amount of elements into the “Write” page and avoid affection errors by the final users (authors).

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

Board footer