Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-06-03 06:45:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Textpattern in two minutes

‘No need to code” is possibly a bit misleading. Perhaps it should say something like “No need to code PHP”? Dunno. You still need to code HTML and tags.

#14 2020-06-03 07:22:22

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

philwareham wrote #323520:

‘No need to code” is possibly a bit misleading. Perhaps it should say something like “No need to code PHP”? Dunno. You still need to code HTML and tags.

Indeed but Stef mentions this

If you recognise HTML, you’ll easily grasp Textpattern tags

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2020-06-03 08:02:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #323520:

‘No need to code” is possibly a bit misleading. Perhaps it should say something like “No need to code PHP”?

Though I was trying not to introduce too many techy terms early on, since HTML is mentioned in the same point I’ve added that clarification. Thanks for the eyes.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#16 2020-06-03 15:48:35

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

CMS is an environment for at least three quite different subjects:

1. a writer does not need to know HTML, CSS (and even Textile, with the toolbar) to publish desired rich text;
  2. a designer does not need to know PHP (and JS, other) programming language to edit, change, or create beautiful and standard-compliant themes;
  3. even a programmer does not need to touch PHP code of the CMS to create dynamic XML templates with XSL transformations. This genuine separation principle is crucial security and robustness feature of Textpattern.

No one CMS I know (Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, and Blogger, Tumblr, Weebly hosting services) is capable to compete with Textpattern.

Edited: thanks, Yiannis, and sorry for my weak English.

Last edited by Vienuolis (2020-06-05 10:33:47)

#17 2020-06-03 15:52:07

colak
Admin

2 – a designer does need to know PHP (and JS, other) programming language to edit, change, or create beautiful and standard-compliant themes;

Should be

2 – a designer does not need to know PHP (and JS, other) programming language to edit, change, or create beautiful and standard-compliant themes;

and

3 – even a programmer does need to touch PHP code of the CMS to create XML templates and XSL transformations. This genuine separation principle is crucial security feature of Textpattern.

should be

3 – even a programmer does not need to touch PHP code of the CMS to create XML templates and XSL transformations. This genuine separation principle is crucial security feature of Textpattern.

Yiannis
——————————

#18 2020-06-03 18:14:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Vienuolis wrote #323549:

CMS is an environment for at least three quite different subjects:

All good points, thank you, and stuff I would love to include in the article. But I felt I was already pushing the “two minutes” with the amount of content I squeezed in already!

If there’s a way to sneak some of that information into existing sentences without compromising the article length, I’ll do it.

EDIT: I tweaked the last sentence in the Forms section to read:

For ultimate power, you can even use PHP if you wish, although you can create beautiful, standards-compliant sites without it.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-06-03 18:20:33)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#19 2020-06-03 22:23:46

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #323554:

All good points, thank you, and stuff I would love to include in the article. But I felt I was already pushing the “two minutes” with the amount of content I squeezed in already!

Indeed on the good points and indeed on the amount content already available…

Here is a possible idea: make it a series! The article you already published is the general intro, all around bird-eye view. Follow-up articles could be more specifically oriented towards end-users or designers or programmers,…

Of course: whenever you or someone else feel inspired.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#20 2020-06-04 18:29:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #323557:

Here is a possible idea: make it a series! The article you already published is the general intro, all around bird-eye view. Follow-up articles could be more specifically oriented towards end-users or designers or programmers

I’m all for more content. Figured since I’m trying to take on the content world as a day gig, I might as well start close to home. Money where my mouth is and all that.

If anybody has any particular topics they’d like to see explored in a dedicated post, by all means fire away with ideas. I’ve got the one on pageless sections almost ready to go.

#21 2020-06-05 04:14:13

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #323561:

If anybody has any particular topics they’d like to see explored in a dedicated post, by all means fire away with ideas.

As previously mentioned. I think that a push for com_connect might make an excellent article. The write up could be simple or more advanced. For example, it may include a short tutorial about undocumented functions such as how to save posts in the db but also how to retrieve them.

I’ve got the one on pageless sections almost ready to go.

I’m really looking forward to that!

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer