2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

#253 2020-05-20 23:44:40

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Corona virus

colak wrote #323065:

Furthermore, our government is considering of opening for tourism next month, which freaks me out.

Wow, that seems madness at this point, even if very strictly regulated to tourism coming from some countries only. Over here, there are plans to gradually relax inbound travel limited to some countries and some type of travellers (mostly business related, atm). But tourism does not seem on the list, just yet.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#254 2020-05-21 05:49:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

phiw13 wrote #323081:

Wow, that seems madness at this point, even if very strictly regulated to tourism coming from some countries only. Over here, there are plans to gradually relax inbound travel limited to some countries and some type of travellers (mostly business related, atm). But tourism does not seem on the list, just yet.

Tourism accounts for 14% of the country’s GDP, although that percentage does not include the small establishments such as shops, bars, cafeterias, water sports etc, that survive from the industry. I agree with you, but “the only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.” This was an opportunity to implement systemic changes and to make everyone’s life more tolerable. In New Zealand they are promoting political ideas that were almost beyond imagination only a few months ago. In Europe, they want to go ‘back to normal.’

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#255 2020-05-21 08:47:09

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #323083:

Tourism accounts for 14% of the country’s GDP, although that percentage does not include the small establishments such as shops, bars, cafeterias, water sports etc, that survive from the industry. I agree with you, but “the only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.” This was an opportunity to implement systemic changes and to make everyone’s life more tolerable. In New Zealand they are promoting political ideas that were almost beyond imagination only a few months ago. In Europe, they want to go ‘back to normal.’

I would have thought that the share of tourism was bigger in Cyprus. But then you mention that small shops etc are not included in that number. I hope you won’t get busloads planeloads of UK tourists in the short term… (the UK being still in quite a poor state). Here in Japan, people outside of the big cities would very much like to see tourism coming back, but they are wary even of tourists from Tokyo.

As for that 4-days workweek, Keidanren (Japan Business Federation, main bosses organisation) has proposed something similar. I am not holding my breath… J.M. Keynes, yes him of the General Theory, suggested more that 80 years ago that we’d have 20 hours work week by now.

#256 2020-05-21 14:04:56

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Kudos to Avi Schiffmann, but these advertisers trying to make money out of everything is a pure sh.t. Back to normal and business as usual.

#257 2020-05-26 12:07:12

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Considerations for Institutes of Higher Education from the US Centers for Disease Control

#258 2020-05-26 15:09:00

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #323285:

Considerations for Institutes of Higher Education from the US Centers for Disease Control

With Universities moving to online courses… what will become of their huge campuses

…. texted postive

#259 2020-05-26 17:32:11

colak
Admin

As much as I believe that much of our work should be moved online, in order to keep working from home, I feel sorry for those kids who will not get the social experience of their studies, and I am also worried about the generation which social deprivation is fast becoming their norm. Having said that, I believe that spatial distancing is the only thing which works for now.

Yiannis
——————————

#260 2020-05-27 14:15:02

zero
Website

No spatial distancing in Mumbai. We must keep counting our blessings, we have plenty to be thankful for. And don’t worry about all the things in this excellent video and article which is, imho, a must-watch. Focus on the good, find the goodness and kindness within and enjoy whatever days we have left. They are dividing and conquering us more than ever, but let’s not give in to anxiety, worry or negativity. The corona world is our world now, our new normal. Just as it has been all our lives, we need to make the most of it and find our own personal joy, peace and fulfilment, first.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#261 2020-10-17 20:13:32

zero
Website

Here’s an interesting development by the German Corona Extra-Parliamentary Inquiry Committee who are investigating and intend to prosecute those responsible for “pandemic measures intended to sow panic so that the pharmaceutical and tech industries can generate huge profits from the sale of PCR tests, antigen and antibody tests and vaccines, and the harvesting of our genetic fingerprints.”

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#262 2020-10-20 09:34:36

colak
Admin

Data Repository by Johns Hopkins University at github. I hope that we are going to go through this second wave but the prognosis the numbers are revealing is grim.

Yiannis
——————————

#263 2020-10-20 11:26:57

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #326479:

I hope that we are going to go through this second wave but the prognosis the numbers are revealing is grim.

Europe does not look at all… :-( On the flip side, if it give some measure of hope, hospitals are getting better at dealing with this.

but then again, the EU options with keeping borders open, and the BOJO type of absolute incompetence are not conductive to quick resolutions.

Hold on strong.

#264 2020-10-23 14:09:18

colak
Admin

Although I cannot help feeling that this is a pre-election stunt, the FDA announced their first approved C-19 treatment earlier today. I also found this page listing the side effects.

Yiannis
——————————

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

Board footer