1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

#121 2020-03-30 17:18:49

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Corona virus

Dragondz wrote #322372:

Hi, just installed zoom app and it offers video meeting up to 100 people for free, we should try it to make a txp meeting !

does each person also need to have a zoom account?

…. texted postive

#122 2020-03-30 17:32:12

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi, i launched a meeting below is the link, try and see if you need an account or not:

[deleted]

But you should install the app on Android or you pc.

It could be fun to speak to other members those days, if some are interested we make a meeting.

#123 2020-03-30 17:58:29

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

jakob wrote #322371:

Wow! There’s debate here about stronger enforcement here, also regarding an app tracking mobile data, currently supposedly “by consent” but it’s not been implemented. That’s also been mentioned for tracking down past movements one might have had before having discovered being infected.

The first one is strict: how is that checked? Do you show a police officer your SMS when stopped? In Austria, people will soon need to wear a mask to go shopping. But what do you do when there are no masks?

There is a shortage here and my wife and I only have one disposable one left. I have no idea re the SMS. When I went out earlier, nobody stopped me. (I did have a form but I did not SMS) We do not have a big police force here, so the chances of being stopped are little.

“Exploiting neighbourhood observers” means what? Sounds like the Stasi all over again!?

Yep, I would call them informers. The issue of course is that I actually agree that staying home is the only sensible socially conscious thing to do.

Also… The C-19 test does not look like it is something that I would like to go through.

On another note, if you’re in need of some distraction, there are gradually more “lockdown sessions” videos appearing online. Tastes differ of course but I saw a couple of good ones from bands/trios playing in empty clubs or cinemas in London. Design/architecture fans might also like Gary Hustwit’s design films currently streaming once a week for free.

I love Hustwit’s films. Helvetica was in my list for years before I managed to watch it. Admittedly, maybe because of my mid-life crisis, I have my doubts as to the role of design at the age of consumerism. Architecture has been replaced by branding and product design has also a lot to answer for regarding the depletion of resources. Having said that, Michael Sorkin, one of my favourite academics died from C-19, 4 days ago which prompted me to look back and rethink…

In the past few evenings I’m following DIEM25’s live streams (YouTube) as they remind me that there is hope.

bici wrote #322373:

does each person also need to have a zoom account?

I think so, but it is the app Assange used to use, so it should be OK. Let’s organise this one!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#124 2020-03-30 20:16:29

zero
Website

jakob wrote #322371:

Gary Hustwit’s design films currently streaming one a week for free.

Thanks for sharing, Jakob. I looked at the Workplace film and found it very enjoyable and interesting looking at leading edge designers work from start to finish to produce such a wonderful workspace, interjected with some informative history of office design. The corporate world is well beyond my normal world view apart from a 3-month job with Arcadia years ago and what I’ve seen on TV and movies — they don’t give a lot of insight.

All that money, all that talent combining to help a global corporation attract even more money and talent that will in turn seduce even more clients and workers to desire more and more of what they want, but mostly do not need. But distinctions of want and need are blurred because inspiration and dedication needs the right conditions to flourish, and when freelancers will pay for a space in such a corporate setting it shows how attractive that space is.

Many small businesses will go bust with this pandemic, imho, and we’ll see those corporations seduce governments and redundant talent into their webs of power and affluence, so that the hit they take will be a blip but not a catastrophe. But I’ve never been any good at predicting anything, so we’ll see what happens. All that talent, inspiration and worldly knowledge might be put to a wonderful use because appreciation is the antidote to greed. If you can appreciate what you’ve got, then you don’t necessarily want a lot more, you can just be happy with whatever you have. And those guys certainly know about appreciation. Sorry if I’ve rambled, it was an inspiring film.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#125 2020-03-31 06:55:37

colak
Admin

Dragondz wrote #322372:

Hi, just installed zoom app and it offers video meeting up to 100 people for free, we should try it to make a txp meeting !

I knew the theory but not the practice:)… “group video calls are free up to 40 minutes.”

What about meet.jit.si/?

Yiannis
——————————

#126 2020-03-31 07:12:23

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Dragondz wrote #322372:

Hmmmmm… Have you looked at their privacy and data-hoarding policy? (a recent write-up by DocSearls) To be fair to them, they have been trying to be a little less bad.

colak wrote #322378:

What about meet.jit.si/?

I had not yet heard of that project, it sounds quite a bit more friendly. All in-browser if I understand correctly? Meaning: privacy protectors and content/tracker blockers can do their job upfront?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#127 2020-03-31 07:21:32

colak
Admin

phiw13 wrote #322379:

Hmmmmm… Have you looked at their privacy and data-hoarding policy? (a recent write-up by DocSearls) To be fair to them, they have been trying to be a little less bad.

I had not yet heard of that project, it sounds quite a bit more friendly. All in-browser if I understand correctly? Meaning: privacy protectors and content/tracker blockers can do their job upfront?

It was discussed here before. Jitsi was originally an open source desktop app, not unlike skype. I am still not sure though as to how many people can join.

Re privacy. I’m all with you on that one, but I do not think that there is such a thing out in the web when using video or audio.

Yiannis
——————————

#128 2020-03-31 07:34:01

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #322380:

Re privacy. I’m all with you on that one, but I do not think that there is such a thing out in the web when using video or audio.

Yeah, there is never any total privacy on the web. From the moment you connect a computer to the ’net and it “talks” to another one (simple request for a webpage) you leave some traces behind. But relatively some stuff is “better” than others and some commercial projects are an absolute disaster, particularly in the audio-video field.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#129 2020-03-31 07:48:14

colak
Admin

phiw13 wrote #322381:

Yeah, there is never any total privacy on the web. From the moment you connect a computer to the ’net and it “talks” to another one (simple request for a webpage) you leave some traces behind. But relatively some stuff is “better” than others and some commercial projects are an absolute disaster, particularly in the audio-video field.

I agree, but what are our options?

Yiannis
——————————

#130 2020-03-31 08:08:53

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

colak wrote #322378:

I knew the theory but not the practice:)… “group video calls are free up to 40 minutes.”

What about meet.jit.si/?

Hi

During the disease the limit is removed for free accounts.

#131 2020-03-31 08:18:10

jakob
Admin
Website

zero wrote #322376:

Thanks for sharing, Jakob. I looked at the Workplace film and found it very enjoyable and interesting looking at leading edge designers work from start to finish to produce such a wonderful workspace, interjected with some informative history of office design …

Yes, his films are inspiring and revealing in more than one way. As films they provide good insight in a very accessible way and allow lots of protagonists and visionaries to speak quite candidly. “Urbanized” (possibly upcoming, next week?) is the one I liked most (admittedly it is the topic I deal with most at work). The “Rams” film I haven’t seen (yet :-), though the famous designer does apparently voice some regrets at the consumerism that has followed since his time.

There’s another documentary on ethics in design which is more critical but in a similar(ish) vein. You can find it here.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#132 2020-03-31 08:21:31

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #322379:

You will probably have seen Daring Fireball’s recent post on zoom which collects together a number of reasons to be sceptical of zoom’s privacy efforts.

colak wrote #322378:

What about meet.jit.si/?

Pete had championed that too in the past. Sounds like one that might be worth a try… “whereby.com” will do free in-browser video chats but only for four at a time…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

Board footer