Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-11-28 12:09:30

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

RFC: Textpattern user group meeting, spring 2017 - remote only

There have been a couple of UK user group meetings in 2015 and 2016 where Stef, Phil and I have met to discuss Textpattern happenings, write code, design things, improve documentation and drink beer.

Some of the feedback I’ve received relates to people wanting to be involved but can’t attend for various logistical, financial or other reasons. There have been some ad-hoc video conference sessions set up at these events, but nothing official or open to a group.

And so, my proposal for the next meeting is for it to take place in (northern hemisphere) spring 2017, and be 100% remote, using a platform suitable for group involvement, with text, audio and video channels available. This cuts down on the travel/accommodation costs, opens things up to a wider audience, and has other benefits.

What do you think?

Phil and Stef (if you’re reading): was the in-person aspect beneficial enough to justify the time/costs associated with the event?

#2 2016-11-28 12:32:14

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: RFC: Textpattern user group meeting, spring 2017 - remote only

Hi Pete,

It’s always nice to meet in person, and it was definitely beneficial (although obviously I don’t have far to travel, unlike you two), but I’m up for trying a video conference meeting in Spring. Hopefully we can get a 4.7 release out before the summer – I think that’s doable.

#3 2016-11-28 12:47:59

towndock
Website

Excellent idea. A Textpattern Google Meetup (Hangout) was set up a few years ago and that was a fun brief meeting. A remote true user group formatted meeting (more than just hi) would be healthy for Textpattern. I look forward to participating.

Last edited by towndock (2016-11-28 13:05:20)

#4 2016-11-28 12:48:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

There was value for me in the in-person side of things, I always leave refreshed and inspired (beer and fish finger sandwiches help, no doubt). Perhaps a spring 2017 virtual and an autumn 2017 in-person might be viable?

#5 2016-11-28 12:49:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

towndock wrote #303034:

A Textpattern Google Meetup was set up a few years ago and that was a fun brief meeting. A remote true user group formatted meeting (more than just hi) would be healthy for Textpattern. I look forward to participating.

Excellent news.

#6 2016-11-28 13:13:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

If there’s suitable software available for conducting a meetup, then by all means let’s explore it. Would be nice to chat to a few more people. Sadly, my experience with such software has, to date, been patchy at best, bordering on frustration.

Skype is untenable as it can barely cope with one-to-one comms. I’ve tried Cisco WebEx and AT&T Connect, plus a few other (possibly now defunct) offerings, none of which have left me with much desire to use them again. And they’re not free. I also fondly recall sitting in dedicated video conference suites with full bandwidth available, wearing a striped shirt and completely foxing the people on the other end by veeeery subtly swaying my torso side-to-side, which caused fabulously distracting colour-fringe effects to smear their screen. But I digress.

The main issues for me are:

1. Timezones.
  2. Variable round trip delay.
  3. Technical barriers like call hang-ups/AV tearing/bandwidth choking.
  4. Having to arbitrate who’s speaking, given items (2) and (3).

I’m sure (4) can be overcome with some protocol. (1) is solvable by picking a suitable time and hoping DST / the Internet doesn’t screw things up. (2) and (3) are annoying, especially as the number of participants increases. I know we’re not talking thousands here, but it’s still irritating.

I’m a face-to-face proponent. I will only use supermarket self-service checkouts at gunpoint. I love meeting up with Pete and others because the conversation threads aren’t just about Textpattern. I learn stuff. Ideas are born outside the realm of CMS. And it’s just downright fun to nurse a pint while putting the world to right. If I could do it more often, I would.

But a virtual meet-up would be cool, if only to touch base with more people. We’d probably need to do grown-up things like work out an agenda and figure out some sort of signalling system to overcome (4) so the airwaves don’t get cluttered when everyone talks at once. And I’d also need to barricade my office door so we’re not interrupted when mini-smd barrels into the room to ask me a vital question about Minecraft, without his pants on. All doable.

So, yeah, let’s test some software and see if we can find one that works, then figure out how to make best use of it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2016-11-28 16:00:00

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Good points, well made – thanks, Stef.

I found Jitsi today, which might be worth testing.

#8 2016-11-28 16:34:22

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I’ve been using skype with 5 people in various locations in europe without any issues. There is also google talk and Viber which I admittedly don’t like.

There is all the other software of course but I would use a platform that most people have already.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#9 2016-11-28 16:59:09

jakob
Admin
Website

Sounds great. I can echo Stef’s sentiments. Must get my act together and come over to join you next time!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2016-11-28 17:34:14

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #303046:

I found Jitsi today, which might be worth testing.

Setting Up Your Own Video Hangout Server With Jitsi

Board footer