1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

#37 2020-03-17 21:36:37

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Corona virus

Other countries are also considering that as a fallback option. Germany certainly is, though obviously they weigh up the relative risk. I think quite a few retired doctors who feel fit and capable also want to help. I know two who, although retired and pursuing their hobbies / doing a degree as a mature student, have continued to provide emergency cover a couple of times a month to ease the burden on their colleagues. It’s just part of who they are and what they’ve done their whole lives. What they’ve chosen to in this specific situation I don’t know.
Until recently, some younger doctors from Germany also travelled regularly to England to provide weekend/holiday cover in regions with not so many doctors. Brexit has put an end to that, though.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#38 2020-03-17 22:44:20

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

All there in Europe (especially), hold on strong.

Over here, everything is still quiet. Numbers of infected people remains low. Our dear leader still insists that his silly pet show must go on this summer, and the IOC agrees (</sigh>).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#39 2020-03-18 04:29:03

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

jakob wrote #322214:

Other countries are also considering that as a fallback option. Germany certainly is, though obviously they weigh up the relative risk. I think quite a few retired doctors who feel fit and capable also want to help. I know two who, although retired and pursuing their hobbies / doing a degree as a mature student, have continued to provide emergency cover a couple of times a month to ease the burden on their colleagues. It’s just part of who they are and what they’ve done their whole lives. What they’ve chosen to in this specific situation I don’t know.

Doctors will always be doctors. I have a lot of friends in that profession and they never quite retire.

phiw13 wrote #322215:

Over here, everything is still quiet. Numbers of infected people remains low. Our dear leader still insists that his silly pet show must go on this summer, and the IOC agrees (</sigh>).

We are all led by populists.

Bloke wrote #322213:

I think in the NHS, many health workers and doctors retire early, so they’re talking about people in their mid-to-late 50s returning to work. Even so, I believe there’s a period of retraining (depending on what they class as “recently retired”) before they can rejoin so I guess they’ll be screened.

I hope so. Although I read in one of the official .gov UK sites that the vulnerable age is 70+, information from other countries lower that age to 50+.

I agree with Julian that Brexit has a role in this. Interestingly, an Italian friend, who is an academic at Harvard and now stranded in Rome, told me yesterday that the Chinese have flown a lot of doctors there in order to help, and share their experiences about the virus. I do not think that nationalist discourses help any country, especially in situations like this one.

This is why I felt irritated when the first measures were taken in Cyprus. Viruses do not understand nationalities or ethnicities. Here’s a quote from Paul Vanouse which will appear in our forthcoming publication.

… the grand epistemic issue behind my work was human difference vs. sameness. These distinctions were the basis of hundreds of years of racism, slavery, eugenics as well as sexism, classism, ethnocentrism […] 99.9% of our DNA is identical, but DNA imaging usually only targets the 0.1% that might vary. […] DNA imaging is simply another instance of an epistemic, apriori belief in essential human difference, whereas deep sameness, the 99.9%, may be more valid.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#40 2020-03-18 08:16:14

colak
Admin

This is an excellent opinion vy David Quammen published NY times.

We cut the trees; we kill the animals or cage them and send them to markets. We disrupt ecosystems, and we shake viruses loose from their natural hosts. When that happens, they need a new host. Often, we are it. www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/opinion/coronavirus-china.html

Yiannis
——————————

#41 2020-03-18 08:49:55

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

some notes and graphs for those who like numbers

• a report from the Imperial College, not a pretty reading (a short overview on Art Technica)
  • a graph extracted from said report, doing the rounds on twitter
  • reaction by the editor of the Lancet, Richard Horton – twitter thread

Good luck over there in the UK (and the US).

More positive

@colak the Chinese have one of the best large-scale emergency teams in the world. how do you think they built an emergency hospital in 7 days? A friend pf my wife saw them at work during one of the large earth-quakes in Southern-China. He was blown away, and he has some experience, he’s part time with the fire-brigade here in town.

#42 2020-03-18 13:53:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

As if the Italians haven’t suffered enough, Bono sings them a song.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#43 2020-03-18 15:45:20

bici
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote #322226:

As if the Italians haven’t suffered enough, Bono sings them a song.

ROTFLO!

…. texted postive

#44 2020-03-21 08:41:46

colak
Admin

As the UK is now in an almost total shutdown.

… Decisions that in normal times could take years of deliberation are passed in a matter of hours. Immature and even dangerous technologies are pressed into service, because the risks of doing nothing are bigger. Entire countries serve as guinea-pigs in large-scale social experiments. (www.ft.com/content/19d90308-6858-11ea-a3c9-1fe6fedcca75)

Yiannis
——————————

#45 2020-03-22 06:45:25

colak
Admin

All live data on one spot in a site designed by a 17 year old.

Yiannis
——————————

#46 2020-03-22 07:34:11

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@colak

how are things in your corner of the world ?

#47 2020-03-22 09:23:45

colak
Admin

phiw13 wrote #322251:

@colak

how are things in your corner of the world ?

It’s pretty bad. Although the numbers are not high (84 cases), percentage-wise they are. The only establishments open for now are pharmacies, supermarkets, and the construction industry. I received a call for a new project last night which I declined (regardless of my need for cash), as I believe that social distancing is unfortunately the only way to stop the virus.

At the moment, supermarkets are well stocked and there is no shortage of anything except masks which are sold very expensively in the black market. ie, they are sold for €2 each when a packet of 50 is normally sold for €8. The larger/more effective masks with the filter on the front are sold for €15+VAT each, a rip-off considering that they are also disposable. In any case, from what I understand, the only way to avoid the exposure to the virus is using the polycarbonate shields in front of your pro filtered mask.

Our government is subsidising 70% of salaries to those employed, but the self-employed, which includes my self and my wife, get nothing, demonstrating that they are more interested in saving businesses, not people.

My wife and I, are are currently in self imposed isolation, although, because we live in a narrow street in the city centre, we do have contact with neighbours, always keeping a 3-4 metre distance. Those who arrive in Cyprus are now placed under quarantine for 15 days.

Voip services are what keeps us sane and we are using this time to keep in touch and compare the situation with friends abroad. We are also using this opportunity to work on proposals for NeMe, if there will be a world, society, or community to present our projects to.

On the positive side, the air feels cleaner and our streets are very peaceful. Here’s a flow chart circulating widely which I would urge our community to take seriously.

I still would like to hear personal accounts of what is happening elsewhere.

Yiannis
——————————

#48 2020-03-22 09:36:38

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi,

Here in Algeria things are worsenibg slowly, 15 dead and 130 diagnosed cases, but it s really freeking because we know they are no reanimation beds (less than 300 for the hole country) and a lot of people will die in big number in the next days because of that.

Sad days.

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

Board footer