1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

#25 2020-03-17 12:28:51

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Re: Corona virus

Hi

Here at Algiers( Algeria) they shot down Supermarket, mosque, festivals, gardens, and all places where people gather.

It become quiet on the street, less cars, less people outside. I have the chance to work at 200m of my house then i continue to work (i have only one person with me on the office).

Hope things goes well.

#26 2020-03-17 12:37:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Watched Boris bumbling his way through another public address yesterday evening. Despite his obvious lack of ability for public speaking of any calibre, whoever wrote the brief for our illustrious figurehead to try and read was shrewd. Pulling all support for emergency services at events is exactly the same thing as banning the events – since they can’t go ahead for health and safety reasons – but it’s a far better approach than outright saying they’re illegal. Gives people the illusion of choice.

Doing the latter would mean people try to find a way around the law, because banning anything makes it attractive. It’s the human condition (shades of: “See, we only have 74 people at this event so it’s okay as it’s below the legal minimum…”) and does little to help flatten the contagion curve. 74 potential interactions is still waaay too many for comfort if one person in the group carries the virus.

Me? I’m going to go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all this to blow over. While it’s still open…

Last edited by Bloke (2020-03-17 12:40:57)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#27 2020-03-17 13:33:09

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I think that it is very irresponsible of Boris not to close down everything, including the tube. Many of our cases here were people who arrived from London. From what I hear from friends who live there, there seems to be little to no information, and no measures against the spread of the virus.

In Cyprus we started with 2 then it increased to 9, 19, now it is over 50 infections in about a week.

Although the virus is fatal for those over 60, we all know and love many people in that age group.

For once, this is about civic responsibility and solidarity. Maybe this is why Trump and Boris are doing nothing.

On a lighter but relevant note here’s a piece prepared by the Juice Media in Australia.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#28 2020-03-17 13:48:05

jakob
Admin
Website

Bloke wrote #322203:

Watched Boris bumbling his way through another public address yesterday evening. Despite his obvious lack of ability for public speaking of any calibre, whoever wrote the brief for our illustrious figurehead …

… reminds me of this (twitter but worth it!)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#29 2020-03-17 13:57:10

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

That ad’s very good! Much better than most of the ‘advice’ on social media. EDIT: and so’s that ‘handler’ video, jakob! Genius indeed.

The only reason Boris even started looking at this was because it landed on his doorstep. If it had been any other part of the country than London (which, due to population density, is statistically significant) he’d have continued peddling the wash your hands and everything will be fine mantra.

Tube: Yeah, maybe. But according to some people I know in London today, the underground’s a ghost town anyway. People, it seems, are doing the right thing and staying away from work, or working from home.

There were rumours abound he’d shut schools for the remainder of the academic year. With the number of doctors and nurses I know doing the school run – and assuming this is indicative of the general ratio of medical professionals to other workers with primary age kids – I’m not sure preventing those people from going to work is going to help our health service cope.

Maybe it’s a trade-off. A few hundred thousand fewer medical staff vs countless millions of potential interactions between carriers in the playground pick up/drop off cycle that could overwhelm those staff anyway.

I don’t have the answers, but I’m surprised that with the amount of reasonably balanced information out there about other countries (mis)handling the situation, that corporations and individuals are so slow to take any sensible actions and precautions until some numptees in Whitehall decide to wake up and pretend to care.

As soon as news started to break of the level of contagion, if I were a CEO, I’d relax the rules on insisting turning up at the office immediately and encourage remote working for anybody that can. Adjust shift patterns to minimise crossover. Brief people on good hygiene, keeping distance wherever possible. Simple, sensible stuff.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-03-17 14:31:11)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#30 2020-03-17 13:58:02

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

France has joined Italy and Spain in a general lock-down since this noon, though nobody understands yet what it means. Statistically my family is not at danger, but some of my best friends are doctors, and I would hate doing something that would expose them to dealing with hard cases. So avoiding contacts as much as possible.

#31 2020-03-17 15:45:06

colak
Admin

etc wrote #322207:

France has joined Italy and Spain in a general lock-down since this noon, though nobody understands yet what it means. Statistically my family is not at danger, but some of my best friends are doctors, and I would hate doing something that would expose them to dealing with hard cases. So avoiding contacts as much as possible.

On the positive side, the air is cleaner because of much fewer cars and there is a pleasant quietness. Buy as much food as you can, which has a reasonably long shelf life, such as rice, beans, lentils, dry pasta, etc.

Prepare for a long isolation as there seems to be no due by date for this, no matter what our governments initially announce. In Cy we had 3 announcements, within 7 days, each one escalating the measures.

At the moment we can go out, and no official curfew is imposed but this might come. I’m sure that all countries have laws against people knowingly spreading deadly viruses. These are the laws they are now quoting here, which basically blame individuals rather than systemic failure.

Regardless, it is our responsibility, to keep others safe, if not ourselves.

Yiannis
——————————

#32 2020-03-17 16:04:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #322208:

Regardless, it is our responsibility, to keep others safe, if not ourselves.

This.

Everyone has a duty of care, and that’s been my point since this whole thing blew up. Don’t wait around for ‘leaders’ (and I use that term loosely) or bosses to tell us to “stay at home” or “go to work” or “our transport system is locked down” or “all gatherings except these random exception are illegal”. Just use evidence-based judgement. Look at the infection curve if nothing else. And use that information to take sensible steps to minimise daily exposure and keep reasonably clean.

If everyone only went out where and when necessary – instead of sharing stupid disinformation on social media and rushing to panic-buy pasta – the pandemic probably wouldn’t have reached the level it has.

#33 2020-03-17 16:57:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

On another, more positive, note: even though Frank Turner’s had to cancel his UK tour (to which I couldn’t get tickets anyway) one show’s still going ahead… from his living room tonight (Facebork link, sorry).

Love it when people innovate around a problem.

#34 2020-03-17 18:39:08

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #322210:

On another, more positive, note: even though Frank Turner’s had to cancel his UK tour (to which I couldn’t get tickets anyway) one show’s still going ahead… from his living room tonight (Facebork link, sorry).

Hope he’ll perform this one (YouTube) :)

Yiannis
——————————

#35 2020-03-17 19:14:24

colak
Admin

I’m looking at England’s Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health which covers the Covid19 bill. Interrestingly there was no warning about the possible forecast of the virus spread unless those precautions are followed.

Also, considering that Covid19 is most fatal for older people what is this doing in there?

… increasing the available health and social care workforce – for example, by removing barriers to allow recently retired NHS staff and social workers to return to work… – Emphasis mine.

Yiannis
——————————

#36 2020-03-17 20:14:15

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I think in the NHS, many health workers and doctors retire early, so they’re talking about people in their mid-to-late 50s returning to work. Even so, I believe there’s a period of retraining (depending on what they class as “recently retired”) before they can rejoin so I guess they’ll be screened.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-03-17 20:19:07)

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

Board footer