Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2020-01-17 11:29:16

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: themes on 4.8beta

etc wrote #321168:

I second @phiw13, without this string the wording is fuzzy.

:-)

I find it unclear (and I could be considered on the geeky side), In TXP 4.7.3 the “Developper Preview” and subsequent action (2 radios) was conceptually much easier to understand, even if you had a ‘Live’ section included in your selection.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#26 2020-01-17 11:29:38

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #321169:

Do you mean a per-user pref that’s automatically updated to store the checkbox states when you perform a change theme/page/style action, as opposed to storing it in localStorage?

Yes, a hidden server-stored private pref, if any. Now that dev-preview-disabled admins can see and manage only live assets, and ‘dev’ is checked by default for admins involved in dev-preview, storing the checkbox states looks like an overkill.

And I come back to ‘Development’ pill on Sections tab: it should be attached to sections, not themes, or removed.

#27 2020-01-17 11:40:26

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

I’m reading the excellent documentation about “Theme” by Destry, and I had a suggestion (see: the ‘In use’ pill indication section here):

The difference by colors for the “In use” notification (green or orange depending of “live” and “In development” theme) isn’t suffisant, IMHO. May be a tooltip attached to these informations could be less confusing (assuming nobody choose a mobile device when configuring a theme).

Last edited by Pat64 (2020-01-17 11:41:03)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#28 2020-01-17 11:45:55

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote #321169:

Maybe. If it’s more confusing, I’m fine if the commit is reverted. Just trying it out.

Do you mean a per-user pref that’s automatically updated to store the checkbox states when you perform a change theme/page/style action, as opposed to storing it in localStorage?

Or do you mean a physical pref setting on the Prefs panel?

I’m fine with the former. Not sure the latter would help!

I think that this has to do with privileges and also, the hopeful future addition of guest privileges. For now, I believe that it would be prudent to keep it as a preference set by designers and over, which can be viewable by all who are logged in.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#29 2020-01-17 11:58:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #321171:

Yes, a hidden server-stored private pref, if any.

Sounds like a plan.

And I come back to ‘Development’ pill on Sections tab: it should be attached to sections, not themes, or removed.

Try it against the section name by all means. I’m not sure, though. The split ‘Theme’ row with the dashed line might look a bit strange or require further explanation if the development pill isn’t there to indicate which is dev vs live.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#30 2020-01-17 12:35:56

Destry
Website

etc wrote #321171:

With regard to attaching it to section names, I’m not so sure about that. I wouldn’t like that.

With it on the Theme column, it aligns nicely with the assigned assets making it very clear, visually, that is the theme/page/style assiged in development. (It’s better now since you added the ‘None’ value for blank asset selections on new sections.)

Which is also why I don’t think you need a similar ‘Development’ pill on the assets too.

As for removing the pill entirely, I think it could make sense to us long-time people avidly looking at this now, but anyone new to Txp and themes would benefit greatly from such an indicator. I vote keeping it, and not just because I would have to edit these doc images, again (which is not as important as fixing usability first without stepping over into obscurity).

(Btw, I will not be around after today until Monday.)

#31 2020-01-17 12:49:18

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #321177:

With regard to attaching it to section names, I’m not so sure about that. I wouldn’t like that.

With it on the Theme column, it aligns nicely with the assigned assets making it very clear, visually, that is the theme/page/style assiged in development.

I would agree if we always needed a separate theme for dev preview, but we don’t. You can create a new page/style within the current ‘live’ theme and switch dev preview to these assets. In this case ‘Development’ pill is currently not displayed at all.

#32 2020-01-17 12:49:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #321177:

With it on the Theme column, it aligns nicely with the assigned assets making it very clear, visually, that is the theme/page/style assiged in development

That nice alignment, if you don’t mind, is completely dependent on the window width, the number of columns to display, the length of the strings, the users language… IOW, you’re in luck for screenshot.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#33 2020-01-17 12:56:20

Destry
Website

etc wrote #321178:

I would agree if we always needed a separate theme for dev preview, but we don’t. You can create a new page/style within the current ‘live’ theme and switch dev preview to these assets. In this case ‘Development’ pill is currently not displayed at all.

Yes, I know, my image there shows the two default examples. Is it really that confusing against the development assignments? It doesn’t strike me as so.

phiw13 wrote #321179:

That nice alignment, if you don’t mind, is completely dependent on the window width, the number of columns to display, the length of the strings, the users language… IOW, you’re in luck for screenshot.

Yes, I know, but hopefully users understand in contexts like these (working with themes dev) that you can turn off six needless columns in the Sections panel so you’re only looking at what matters in this case. As the image and documentation suggests.

I honestly doubt anyone is setting up themes development on their dumbphone.

#34 2020-01-17 13:03:53

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Is it so evident that articles and test sections are under development?

#35 2020-01-17 13:09:01

Destry
Website

etc wrote #321178:

I would agree if we always needed a separate theme for dev preview, but we don’t.

If I understood correctly from earlier comments in the repo, there is the idea of actually making live and dev environments/previewing entirely separate, so you don’t even see the dashed lines, presumably? There’s only ever one value per cell, be it live or dev? Perhaps depending on how the preference is set?

I’m also under the impression that was proposed as 4.8.1 release?

If that’s the case, I’m thinking this quibbling about ‘pills’ and their placement now is irrelevant if such a separation of live/dev enviros is actually the future.

Is any of that correct?

#36 2020-01-17 13:17:22

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #321182:

If I understood correctly from earlier comments in the repo, there is the idea of actually making live and dev environments/previewing entirely separate, so you don’t even see the dashed lines, presumably? There’s only ever one value per cell, be it live or dev? Perhaps depending on how the preference is set?

That would declutter UI, for sure, but site devs would loose the possibility to easily compare live and dev settings. Whence the doubts.

I’m also under the impression that was proposed as 4.8.1 release?

If that’s the case, I’m thinking this quibbling about ‘pills’ and their placement now is irrelevant if such a separation of live/dev enviros is actually the future.

If accepted, I would rather do it now. But in any case, this ‘pill’ works inconsistently as is and I would remove it. Or put it below section name.

Board footer