Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2019-04-11 15:14:41

Destry
Website

Re: Just in: Articles 11 and 13

Regarding the 19th century stuff, I’m not saying there was never any riffing. I’m not that jaded. There are no original ideas, as they say. My point was that it has become way to easy to do it. People who have no purpose or point can, and do now, riff and rip in counter-productive ways for no other reason than the sake of it, en masse, in a carbon-releasing way. For laughs and giggles. For likes and faves. For the shitposting glee of it. It’s gone way beyond value into downright environmentally destructive, ergo destructive to human society. The internet has made the mindless glut possible.

Likewise, I’m not saying the Internet has never been good, though that was a very short and piecemeal window, IMO. As soon as the assholes smelt the money, as Iggy Pop would say, that was the end of it. I don’t want to cross-mix conversations that are out of scope here, but there will be no internet when society collapses. It will be one of the first things to go, I’m quite certain. My point here is that collapse is probably something that should consume human attention more than whether or not we can freely riff on the internet. Making our own newspapers from ad-pulp and sunshine may be a worthwhile skill in a few decades. Viva la solarpunk!

If people have problems with 11 or 13, and it miraculously gets turned around. Good for those who it makes happy. I won’t care either way. I’m neither concerned about nor invested in anything either measure will impact. That’s all I’m saying.

More critical than either 11 or 13, for those who really put weight on this kind of pointless thing, is the Terrorist Content measure, and here’s a good example why. That does concern me more, though there’s nothing I can do about that either. It’s one thing for the Archive to respect requests from site owners to be removed from their archives — and they do honour those requests, I can vouch — but it’s something else for countries to make sweeping demands on content they didn’t even create.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#22 2019-04-11 19:12:45

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #317595:

Regarding the 19th century stuff, I’m not saying there was never any riffing. I’m not that jaded. There are no original ideas, as they say. My point was that it has become way to easy to do it.

Of course, agree entirely in that respect. And just for the record – because sometimes things perhaps come across differently to how they were meant – I was just adding an anecdote that picked up what you had written earlier; it wasn’t meant in any away as a retort.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#23 2019-04-11 20:21:44

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #317599:

just for the record – because sometimes things perhaps come across differently to how they were meant

I understood. No worries. I only followed up on that point because all three of you commented on it, so it’s not meant to single any one person out. I always try to use the comment feature when doing that. But I did want to capitalize on that nice word, ‘riff’. ;)

#24 2019-04-11 23:35:11

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #317595:

I don’t want to cross-mix conversations that are out of scope here, but there will be no internet when society collapses. It will be one of the first things to go, I’m quite certain. My point here is that collapse is probably something that should consume human attention more than whether or not we can freely riff on the internet.

Haha…

Lights Out: Climate Change Risk to Internet Infrastructure

The results of our overlap analysis show that ∼4.1k miles of fiber conduit will be under water and over 1.1k colocation centers will be surrounded by water in the next 15 years. We develop a geo-based metric to assess Internet infrastructure risks in local areas and find New York, Miami and Seattle to be the most vulnerable areas, and that large service providers including Century Link, Intelliquent and AT&T have the most infrastructure risk. We believe that these results highlight a real and present threat to the management and operations of communications systems and that steps should be taken soon to develop plans to address this threat.

h/t to Sacripant for that one.

And that says nothing about all the other low-level municipalities in the world that face the same situation. Nor does it speak to the innumerable other ways — foreseen and yet-realized — our impact on the environment is going to hit back and cripple life as we know it. And that’s just in the next 20 years.

So, yeah, much bigger worries in my book. And just the investment of energy to remediate these problems is more carbon release. But as Jem Bendell and others have already calculated, all the best efforts to stem CO2 and temperature rise won’t make a difference now. We’ve already done the things that will continue to release latent carbon and warm the planet, even if industry stops using oil today (lol), which is impossible.

This is probably worth sharing too, though I think I did once before, 12 reasons why people refuse to address the idea that we’re headed for near-term societal collapse.

Dang, I went off topic.

#25 2019-04-15 20:48:02

michaelkpate
Website

“With today’s agreement, we are making copyright rules fit for the digital age,” said European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in a statement. “Europe will now have clear rules that guarantee fair remuneration for creators, strong rights for users and responsibility for platforms. When it comes to completing Europe’s digital single market, the copyright reform is the missing piece of the puzzle.” – EU countries give final approval to copyright reform aimed at Google and Facebook

According to this, the clock doesn’t start on individual member nations until the Official Journal of the EU publishes them. So you guys get to stay online a little longer.

#26 2019-09-26 12:38:51

michaelkpate
Website

michaelkpate wrote #317577:

I presume something similar will happen in 2021.

I was wrong. This is why everyone should be careful of my predictions.

It isn’t going to happen in 2021. It has already started in 2019.

Google has announced it will not pay European news publishers for the right to show their content on Google News, which will be mandatory under the EU’s new copyright directive that will come into effect next month, The Financial Times reports. France is the first out of the 28 EU member states to implement the new directive, but the law is already off to a rough start. Google has opted for displaying less information to its users, rather than entering into licensing agreements with European publishers. – Google’s unsurprising refusal to pay for news snippets undermines new EU copyright law

For Google, it is a matter of principle.

People trust Google to help them find useful and authoritative information, from a diverse range of sources. To uphold that trust, search results must be determined by relevance – not by commercial partnerships. That’s why we don’t accept payment from anyone to be included in search results. We sell ads, not search results, and every ad on Google is clearly marked. That’s also why we don’t pay publishers when people click on their links in a search result. – Richard Gingras, VP of news at Google.

#27 2019-09-26 12:47:12

Bloke
Developer
Website

Oh dear. What’s the polite way of telling these dickish lawmakers and digital rights behemoths told you so after we campaigned for ages in advance to get the Articles altered so they did make sense and were workable?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2019-09-26 13:59:05

colak
Admin
Website

As always, those who can not afford it will be paying fines left right and centre, and our beloved billionaires, will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | Respbublika! | NeMe @ github

#29 2019-10-01 12:25:58

michaelkpate
Website

I find this ironic.

French and German publishers don’t plan to stand down quietly without a fight. They’re betting on strength in numbers and as such are putting on a united front. The editors of France’s Alliance of the Press of General Information, which represents dozens of publishers, and the European Newspapers Publishers Association both issued statements condemning Google’s move as an abuse of power. Germany’s equivalent body– the Federal Association of German Newspaper Publishers — swiftly followed suit with its own statement of intent to stand with French publishers to challenge the ruling, and challenge Google’s position on antitrust grounds, with the European Commission. – ‘It’s blackmail’: French and German publishers unite to fight Google’s refusal to pay them copyright fees

There is nothing quite like a bunch of companies in two different nations getting together to make a charge on anti-trust grounds against a single company. I am not an expert but I don’t think that is how that works.

#30 2019-10-01 14:05:08

towndock
Website

Google (and Bing) make snippets from tide tables on our site marineweather.net – and provide them in search results. Google includes snippets from some of our towndock.net stories under the Google Local news section in our area.

They are snippets – not the actual complete content. They include a link. As a publisher, I have no complaints. Rather, I adore this. We get significant traffic from it.

Board footer