Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2019-04-11 15:14:41

Destry
Website

Re: Just in: Articles 11 and 13

Regarding the 19th century stuff, I’m not saying there was never any riffing. I’m not that jaded. There are no original ideas, as they say. My point was that it has become way to easy to do it. People who have no purpose or point can, and do now, riff and rip in counter-productive ways for no other reason than the sake of it, en masse, in a carbon-releasing way. For laughs and giggles. For likes and faves. For the shitposting glee of it. It’s gone way beyond value into downright environmentally destructive, ergo destructive to human society. The internet has made the mindless glut possible.

Likewise, I’m not saying the Internet has never been good, though that was a very short and piecemeal window, IMO. As soon as the assholes smelt the money, as Iggy Pop would say, that was the end of it. I don’t want to cross-mix conversations that are out of scope here, but there will be no internet when society collapses. It will be one of the first things to go, I’m quite certain. My point here is that collapse is probably something that should consume human attention more than whether or not we can freely riff on the internet. Making our own newspapers from ad-pulp and sunshine may be a worthwhile skill in a few decades. Viva la solarpunk!

If people have problems with 11 or 13, and it miraculously gets turned around. Good for those who it makes happy. I won’t care either way. I’m neither concerned about nor invested in anything either measure will impact. That’s all I’m saying.

More critical than either 11 or 13, for those who really put weight on this kind of pointless thing, is the Terrorist Content measure, and here’s a good example why. That does concern me more, though there’s nothing I can do about that either. It’s one thing for the Archive to respect requests from site owners to be removed from their archives — and they do honour those requests, I can vouch — but it’s something else for countries to make sweeping demands on content they didn’t even create.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#22 2019-04-11 19:12:45

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #317595:

Regarding the 19th century stuff, I’m not saying there was never any riffing. I’m not that jaded. There are no original ideas, as they say. My point was that it has become way to easy to do it.

Of course, agree entirely in that respect. And just for the record – because sometimes things perhaps come across differently to how they were meant – I was just adding an anecdote that picked up what you had written earlier; it wasn’t meant in any away as a retort.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#23 2019-04-11 20:21:44

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #317599:

just for the record – because sometimes things perhaps come across differently to how they were meant

I understood. No worries. I only followed up on that point because all three of you commented on it, so it’s not meant to single any one person out. I always try to use the comment feature when doing that. But I did want to capitalize on that nice word, ‘riff’. ;)

#24 2019-04-11 23:35:11

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #317595:

I don’t want to cross-mix conversations that are out of scope here, but there will be no internet when society collapses. It will be one of the first things to go, I’m quite certain. My point here is that collapse is probably something that should consume human attention more than whether or not we can freely riff on the internet.

Haha…

Lights Out: Climate Change Risk to Internet Infrastructure

The results of our overlap analysis show that ∼4.1k miles of fiber conduit will be under water and over 1.1k colocation centers will be surrounded by water in the next 15 years. We develop a geo-based metric to assess Internet infrastructure risks in local areas and find New York, Miami and Seattle to be the most vulnerable areas, and that large service providers including Century Link, Intelliquent and AT&T have the most infrastructure risk. We believe that these results highlight a real and present threat to the management and operations of communications systems and that steps should be taken soon to develop plans to address this threat.

h/t to Sacripant for that one.

And that says nothing about all the other low-level municipalities in the world that face the same situation. Nor does it speak to the innumerable other ways — foreseen and yet-realized — our impact on the environment is going to hit back and cripple life as we know it. And that’s just in the next 20 years.

So, yeah, much bigger worries in my book. And just the investment of energy to remediate these problems is more carbon release. But as Jem Bendell and others have already calculated, all the best efforts to stem CO2 and temperature rise won’t make a difference now. We’ve already done the things that will continue to release latent carbon and warm the planet, even if industry stops using oil today (lol), which is impossible.

This is probably worth sharing too, though I think I did once before, 12 reasons why people refuse to address the idea that we’re headed for near-term societal collapse.

Dang, I went off topic.

#25 2019-04-15 20:48:02

michaelkpate
Website

“With today’s agreement, we are making copyright rules fit for the digital age,” said European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in a statement. “Europe will now have clear rules that guarantee fair remuneration for creators, strong rights for users and responsibility for platforms. When it comes to completing Europe’s digital single market, the copyright reform is the missing piece of the puzzle.” – EU countries give final approval to copyright reform aimed at Google and Facebook

According to this, the clock doesn’t start on individual member nations until the Official Journal of the EU publishes them. So you guys get to stay online a little longer.

Board footer