Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2019-04-15 20:48:02

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Just in: Articles 11 and 13

“With today’s agreement, we are making copyright rules fit for the digital age,” said European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in a statement. “Europe will now have clear rules that guarantee fair remuneration for creators, strong rights for users and responsibility for platforms. When it comes to completing Europe’s digital single market, the copyright reform is the missing piece of the puzzle.” – EU countries give final approval to copyright reform aimed at Google and Facebook

According to this, the clock doesn’t start on individual member nations until the Official Journal of the EU publishes them. So you guys get to stay online a little longer.

#26 2019-09-26 12:38:51

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #317577:

I presume something similar will happen in 2021.

I was wrong. This is why everyone should be careful of my predictions.

It isn’t going to happen in 2021. It has already started in 2019.

Google has announced it will not pay European news publishers for the right to show their content on Google News, which will be mandatory under the EU’s new copyright directive that will come into effect next month, The Financial Times reports. France is the first out of the 28 EU member states to implement the new directive, but the law is already off to a rough start. Google has opted for displaying less information to its users, rather than entering into licensing agreements with European publishers. – Google’s unsurprising refusal to pay for news snippets undermines new EU copyright law

For Google, it is a matter of principle.

People trust Google to help them find useful and authoritative information, from a diverse range of sources. To uphold that trust, search results must be determined by relevance – not by commercial partnerships. That’s why we don’t accept payment from anyone to be included in search results. We sell ads, not search results, and every ad on Google is clearly marked. That’s also why we don’t pay publishers when people click on their links in a search result. – Richard Gingras, VP of news at Google.

#27 2019-09-26 12:47:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Oh dear. What’s the polite way of telling these dickish lawmakers and digital rights behemoths told you so after we campaigned for ages in advance to get the Articles altered so they did make sense and were workable?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2019-09-26 13:59:05

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

As always, those who can not afford it will be paying fines left right and centre, and our beloved billionaires, will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#29 2019-10-01 12:25:58

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I find this ironic.

French and German publishers don’t plan to stand down quietly without a fight. They’re betting on strength in numbers and as such are putting on a united front. The editors of France’s Alliance of the Press of General Information, which represents dozens of publishers, and the European Newspapers Publishers Association both issued statements condemning Google’s move as an abuse of power. Germany’s equivalent body– the Federal Association of German Newspaper Publishers — swiftly followed suit with its own statement of intent to stand with French publishers to challenge the ruling, and challenge Google’s position on antitrust grounds, with the European Commission. – ‘It’s blackmail’: French and German publishers unite to fight Google’s refusal to pay them copyright fees

There is nothing quite like a bunch of companies in two different nations getting together to make a charge on anti-trust grounds against a single company. I am not an expert but I don’t think that is how that works.

#30 2019-10-01 14:05:08

towndock
Website

Google (and Bing) make snippets from tide tables on our site marineweather.net – and provide them in search results. Google includes snippets from some of our towndock.net stories under the Google Local news section in our area.

They are snippets – not the actual complete content. They include a link. As a publisher, I have no complaints. Rather, I adore this. We get significant traffic from it.

#31 2019-12-11 13:54:02

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

While it wasn’t quite as quick as they initially promised (there was talk of having it ready last summer), France has now proposed to put Article 17 into law in that country and it’s just about as bad as you could possibly imagine. Indeed, the law appears to simply ignore wholesale the already weak requirements that were put into Article 17, promising that the laws would protect user rights. That’s not what France was pushing for it. Instead, it was all in on the copyright maximalism, so user rights — the rights of the public — can apparently be ignored. – France, As Promised, Is First Out Of The Gate With Its Awful Copyright Directive Law: Ignores Requirements For User Protections

Board footer