Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2019-05-28 09:10:27

gaekwad
Admin

Re: Low-Tech Magazine, now solar-powered!

jakob wrote #318241:

Sometimes that can happen with Wordpress if you try out lots of themes where each theme registers their own sets of thumbnails sizes.

Yeah. I need to be careful that I don’t inadvertently identify the person I was working with at the other agency, but – yikes – it was an eye-opening project. I’m used to keeping servers fairly secure, performant and maintaining a level of visibility that helps sustainability for me and the next person, but the Wordpress philosophy of just adding stuff to go into battle was scary. This one site had (has?) a 16 core CPU with 128GB RAM, upwards of 3TB drive space and the absolute worst incarnation of WHM Cpanel I have ever seen. The typical monthly invoice was north of 600GBP, including a 50GBP fee for when the server needed a reboot.

Zero optimisation. No image processing (which for an image-heavy site is just absurd). No time spent on actually making things run more happily under the lid. Spinning drives, so slow as molasses compared to modern solid state drives. No caching. Wordpress is great for a lot of people, I’m not taking a stab at them, but please find people who know what they’re doing for when you scale up your servers.

#22 2019-05-28 09:39:02

jakob
Admin
Website

God, that’s shocking! Apart from all the other stuff they could do, they’d probably save a sizeable sum of money and transfer fees just by farming image generation and storage off to something like imgix.com.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#23 2019-05-28 09:49:02

gaekwad
Admin

jakob wrote #318260:

God, that’s shocking! Apart from all the other stuff they could do, they’d probably save a sizeable sum of money and transfer fees just by farming image generation and storage off to something like imgix.com.

In this case, users provide the images. They create the images, they upload (presumably) the full-fat versions and…well, I’m not sure what happens after that. My gut feeling is their site was originally pretty easy and was perhaps passed to a junior Wordpress person, and it sort of morphed over time into a beast…and the bills associated crept up.

Board footer