Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#81 2019-01-24 19:27:06

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

bici wrote #316287:

Turns out SiteGround offers a measly 50gb of storage. Webfaction provided 150gb for Mail at the same price !

Are you ever going to use that much with all your sites?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#82 2019-01-24 20:40:23

bici
Website

jakob wrote #316288:

Are you ever going to use that much with all your sites?

the website files use 1.5 gb of storage. But Email boxes are at 132gb….
i am currently at 132 gb because of two clients who are keeping their emails on the server!! One i using 40GB! i have to disabuse them of this real soon!

…. texted postive

#83 2019-01-24 23:08:28

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #316286:

I should roll with it since they accommodated.

Domain transfer away from Dotster in process. Could take up to 7 days. Bourk! But show is on the road.

O2 informs me there’s some new GDPR-related reg in France about validating domains. I have no grasp of what they’re talking about, even with the explanation, maybe someone can shed light? I translated it for you… ;)

Following the GDPR and for some extensions, the validation of a domain now takes several forms:

1 – Validation mail
2 – Creation of a file at the root of your domain

=====

1 – For validation emails, it comes from your service provider directly who must send you the confirmation request that you must then validate on your side.

2 – For file-based validation, you must create a file at the root of your domain on your current hosting which is called:
[long-number].html
and which contains only the following line:
[long-number]
You can then check that the file is accessible by using the URL of the domain which is:
http://wion.com/[long-number].html
or
https://wion.com/[long-number].html
which should then display to you:
[long-number]
You must then choose one of the proposed validations. If you choose file-based validation, after adding it, you must contact us again so that we can validate the addition at the registry level. The validation by email is done with the current provider. In any case, as soon as we receive the domain on our side, the DNS will be modified to make them point to us.

What is this ‘validation of a domain’ business?

Seems like I have a choice to the approach, whatever it is. I doubt I can count on WebFaction for any helpful emails. Thus, put a .html file in the root of my domain it will be. But at the host I’m leaving?

I guess I can cross that bridge when we get there, but it’s be nice to know what’s going on before hand.

It kind of sounds like they’re assuming my domain registration and web hosting are handled by the same company, which they’re not. So I can’t tell if they mean my web host or my registrar. Must be web host. The [long-number] seems to be plucked from somewhere specific, probably WF.

Wordworkin’ for you.

#84 2019-01-24 23:20:36

Destry
Website

I was thinking today how nice it would be to just not have anything to do with a website anymore. My sites haven’t been up for years anyway, so ‘what’s the point?’ I asked myself. I’m still not sure I have a good or justifiable answer.

I really don’t see lasting past 60 online, though. Another 7 years tops, and I’m probably handing the domain to the kids.

Wordworkin’ for you.

#85 2019-01-25 01:19:28

bici
Website

in two (2) years time i will have nothing to do with creating/managing websites. I am getting off the Merry-Go-Round.

i will be a soulless wanderer of the internets…. leaving bonbons as i go. You have been warned!

…. texted postive

#86 2019-01-25 04:06:20

bici
Website

so the hunt continues: anyone have insights into 1&1 IONOS

i like that they are in Europe even if i am in NA ;-)

…. texted postive

#87 2019-01-25 11:32:52

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #316290:

Domain transfer away from Dotster in process. Could take up to 7 days. Bourk! But show is on the road.

Unless you were deliberately wanting to leave Dotster (which I could understand), you needn’t necessarily have transferred your domain to O2switch. You could have simply pointed the domain to their servers. But …

7 days is probably just to reduce their support needs. Some people open a ticket after 30 minutes complaining a transfer hasn’t gone through.

What is this ‘validation of a domain’ business?

I haven’t come across that before. Up to now it sufficed to obtain an AUTH-CODE from the existing registrar and give it to the new host/registrar. As only you as the domain owner had access to that, it was a good and easy method. Is that no longer possible?

Thus, put a .html file in the root of my domain it will be. But at the host I’m leaving?

That sounds easy enough and pretty immediate. It’s sounds a lot like the google verification method. The idea is you prove you have access to your own site using that method. You need to ask them what the long number should be (or where you get it), then simply make a text file, paste the long number into it, name the file too accordingly and FTP it to the root folder of your wion.com domain with WF (i.e. where they can find it now). Call it up to check it works, then tell them they can request verification.

Destry wrote #316291:

I was thinking today how nice it would be to just not have anything to do with a website anymore. … I really don’t see lasting past 60 online, though.

Given your previous internet history I find that hard to believe ;-)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#88 2019-01-25 21:40:37

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #316297:

Unless you were deliberately wanting to leave Dotster (which I could understand), you needn’t necessarily have transferred your domain to O2switch. You could have simply pointed the domain to their servers.

I just learned, an hour ago, by transferring away from them, that Dotster is only a domain reseller and the actual registrar is domain.com (whose website throws all kinds of GDPR denialism in my face). I got an email from the latter shortly ago and I was compelled to contact Dotster to ensure it wasn’t a phishing attempt or something. (I’m very nervous about losing my domain in today’s cutthroat climate.) I’ve been with Dotster for years, I’ve lost count of how many, and I’m not sure I ever knew they were just a reseller. It probably says in the Terms, but I’ve not looked at those in years.

When I first joined Dotster, easily over a decade ago, they were a much different company on the surface, and from my home territory in the States, so I went with them. I don’t know what happened along the way, but support started going to India, all kinds of ‘add-ons’ were being shoved at me. It changed, and I didn’t like it. Time to move on. And now that I know they are just a reseller, I’m even happier to leave, though o2 probably is as well. I don’t know. Good question to follow up with.

Up to now it sufficed to obtain an AUTH-CODE from the existing registrar and give it to the new host/registrar.

Yep. Did that already. That was the first step. And to unlock the domain at the current registrar end. Transfer is in progress. That domain.com note I just mentioned said it will happen on the 30th.

This extra bit from o2switch about new GDPR process, that’s news to me too. That came after the code was passed to them.

That sounds easy enough and pretty immediate. . . . The idea is you prove you have access to your own site using that method. You need to ask them what the long number should be (or where you get it), then simply make a text file, paste the long number into it, name the file too accordingly and FTP it to the root folder of your wion.com domain with WF (i.e. where they can find it now). Call it up to check it works, then tell them they can request verification.

Okay, that sounds good. Thanks! I have the long number; just didn’t show it.

Given your previous internet history I find that hard to believe ;-)

Always the optimist. ;)

Wordworkin’ for you.

#89 2019-01-25 21:51:55

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #316297:

It’s sounds a lot like the google verification method. The idea is you prove you have access to your own site using that method.

One more question about that… It’s supposed to be an .html file, but do I have to make an HTML template, or is it really just the number string only? I’m under the impression it’s just the string. No markup.

Yeah, rereading the mail, it’s pretty clear it’s just the string. Nevermind.

Wordworkin’ for you.

#90 2019-01-25 21:59:28

mistersugar
Website

fwiw, I’ve decided to move to DreamHost, using the VPS hosting because I need node.js to run the Duke River of News (uses Dave Winer’s River5 software), among my other Textpattern sites.

Last edited by mistersugar (2019-01-25 22:00:14)

Board footer