Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2019-01-23 23:28:23

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

Been using DreamHost for 10 years or so. Their unlimited shared hosting plans are fairly good for your (my) basic needs. SSH, separate SFTP user, possibility to use SequelPro on my Mac instead of that screaming disaster that is PHPMyAdmin. Email setup is OK and email works fairly well. Their ControlPanel is not very intuitive to navigate, but it is slowly improving and they’ve been doing efforts to document everything.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#74 2019-01-24 01:32:06

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

bici wrote #316255:

ps can you comment on this observation of one user:

p.

> “My year with DH is almost over. I didn’t much like it, I found the interface ponderous to navigate and confusing.

It works fine for me.

> Also, I didn’t have control over my php.ini file so that I couldn’t install sexyFileManager, and probably other stuff.

I don’t know what sexyfilemanager is. I generally just sftp everything with fileZilla.

And there is a way to change PHP settings: How do I create a phprc file via FTP?

> It did work just fine for hosting simple web sites. Things were mostly up and email was mostly delivered (except the BHCC fiasco)”

> Setting up email was horrible.

I generally just use gmail but I am looking at the e-mail creation page right now – it seems pretty straightforward.

> I had some serious problems with data bases. They were hard to access and edit.

The interface has a selection called Advanced. The first choice under that is MySQL Databases.

Years ago you had to create a subdomain for each database – I still have a bunch listed. Now you can reuse them so, for instance, the database for michaelkpate.com is accessible through mysql.michaelkpate.com. Not a big deal.

> DH insisted on separate passwords for everything so doing SSH, phpMyAdmin, sftp, email, whatever, was a total pain.

There are users and mysqlusers – separate groups. I usually create a new user with every new database and give it a super-complex password so it is difficult to hack and if it were the hacker could only access the one database. You could use one password but that is bad practice imho.

> Whatever they did offer was slow, confusing, and poorly documented. Likely, things have improved since 2013.

It is still the same fundamental design for when I started (custom code from them) but modernized here and there. Unless you want to do something super complex I think it will be easy to figure out. I can’t speak on the documentation because I don’t think I’ve ever really looked at it.

#75 2019-01-24 03:44:17

bici
Website Mastodon

thanks for your update. It makes sense and I think DH will offer me the control that is akin to webfaction. I am going to open up a test account and kick the tires.

…. texted postive

#76 2019-01-24 03:50:08

bici
Website Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #316256:

Been using DreamHost for 10 years or so. Their unlimited shared hosting plans are fairly good for your (my) basic needs. SSH, separate SFTP user, possibility to use SequelPro on my Mac instead of that screaming disaster that is PHPMyAdmin. Email setup is OK and email works fairly well. Their ControlPanel is not very intuitive to navigate, but it is slowly improving and they’ve been doing efforts to document everything.

ok sounds like i should kick their tires. wil lsign up for a test account.

…. texted postive

#77 2019-01-24 06:19:18

bici
Website Mastodon

gee… the more i look the more i find… SiteGround out of Bulgaria. That sounds wild. and enticing

…. texted postive

#78 2019-01-24 16:44:16

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #316226:

Signed up and paid my first year at o2switch this morning (many hours ago). I have yet to get so much as an automated/no-reply email greeting or confirmation of anything. My ‘dashboard’ shows ‘in process’, but this is, without a doubt, the slowest response from a web host I have ever experienced. I’m half tempted to cancel it and go to infomaniak. Even Dean had me up and running within an hour, which was about the only thing that came fast from him. ;)

So, turns out I had not heard a response because my payment didn’t go through even though their dashboard gave me an affirmative, big yellow smiley face and all. I found this out by creating a ticket with them via my dashboard account, which turned into the following, heavily-paraphrased exchange…

D: Bonjour… I’ve tried to give you good money, but the machines failed. What gives?

o2: There can be problems if — [long list of technical things that makes me sound like I’m up to criminal mischief] — and it’s not our fault. Or maybe its your bank. – A___

D: / checks with bank. No blockage problem there. /

D: I am not — [any of the long list of technical possibilities] — and no problem at my bank’s end either.

o2: / radio silence for 24 hours /

D: / getting impatient / Hey, bank looks good, I’m about to try again.

D: / tries again /

o2: / replies immediately / Probably your Protonmail account — [gives righteous position against Protonmail, haven of evil spammers, hackers, phishers…] — we suggest you use “a real email address”. – R___

D: /* decides not to give them a dime, but will play it out another message or two */

D: Bonjour. Are you F- serious? What’s a real email address? Gmail, king of surveillance capitalism? Yahoo, screwed so many times it can’t hold a meal long enough to digest? Hotmail? Pray tell, what is a ‘real’ email account? How about Tutanota (gives them the link), which cares about privacy and security? That’s the only other one I have. / plays ace up sleeve / I have a contract with Protonmail as my processor under GDPR as required by CNIL (the French DP authority).

o2: / unfazed / I’ve never heard of Tutanota. We — [more righteous spouting about being the good host guy and Protonmail is bad, so I must be up to no good]. / doesn’t suggest any ‘real’ email service provider / – R___

D: How does my receiving Protonmail account have anything to do with your security? I’m just using it so you can initially send me the details I need to transfer and host my sites, so I can give you money. You had no problem accepting the Protonmail account to set up this profile so we could have this conversation… Your logic is illogical. But, don’t answer that question. I will find another host and ensure my network doesn’t use o2switch. Cordially.

D: Er… by the power of my rights under the mighty GDPR, please delete this account and my personal data. Thanks

So, don’t use o2switch. Not that anyone here would, I guess. I mean, I suppose I can appreciate having that insight about Protonmail, however little or well supported that info is. But they won’t give me hosting because my sign up email is Protonmail? That’s new to me.

#79 2019-01-24 17:25:08

Destry
Website

Oh man. This would be funny if not a pain in the arse. They went ahead and processed my payment! I just got the confirmation mails. I guess I made a good enough argument. Maybe the supervisor stepped in… Whatever, I should roll with it since they accommodated.

I’m still not sure I’d recommend them, but I’ll downgrade the alarm to just: shop around first.

Last edited by Destry (2019-01-24 18:27:25)

#80 2019-01-24 18:43:02

bici
Website Mastodon

Turns out SiteGround offers a measly 50gb of storage. Webfaction provided 150gb for Mail at the same price !
gawd what a mess the hosting world has become!

I feel Destry’s pain.

…. texted postive

#81 2019-01-24 19:27:06

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #316287:

Turns out SiteGround offers a measly 50gb of storage. Webfaction provided 150gb for Mail at the same price !

Are you ever going to use that much with all your sites?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#82 2019-01-24 20:40:23

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #316288:

Are you ever going to use that much with all your sites?

the website files use 1.5 gb of storage. But Email boxes are at 132gb….
i am currently at 132 gb because of two clients who are keeping their emails on the server!! One i using 40GB! i have to disabuse them of this real soon!

…. texted postive

#83 2019-01-24 23:08:28

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #316286:

I should roll with it since they accommodated.

Domain transfer away from Dotster in process. Could take up to 7 days. Bourk! But show is on the road.

O2 informs me there’s some new GDPR-related reg in France about validating domains. I have no grasp of what they’re talking about, even with the explanation, maybe someone can shed light? I translated it for you… ;)

Following the GDPR and for some extensions, the validation of a domain now takes several forms:

1 – Validation mail
2 – Creation of a file at the root of your domain

=====

1 – For validation emails, it comes from your service provider directly who must send you the confirmation request that you must then validate on your side.

2 – For file-based validation, you must create a file at the root of your domain on your current hosting which is called:
[long-number].html
and which contains only the following line:
[long-number]
You can then check that the file is accessible by using the URL of the domain which is:
http://wion.com/[long-number].html
or
https://wion.com/[long-number].html
which should then display to you:
[long-number]
You must then choose one of the proposed validations. If you choose file-based validation, after adding it, you must contact us again so that we can validate the addition at the registry level. The validation by email is done with the current provider. In any case, as soon as we receive the domain on our side, the DNS will be modified to make them point to us.

What is this ‘validation of a domain’ business?

Seems like I have a choice to the approach, whatever it is. I doubt I can count on WebFaction for any helpful emails. Thus, put a .html file in the root of my domain it will be. But at the host I’m leaving?

I guess I can cross that bridge when we get there, but it’s be nice to know what’s going on before hand.

It kind of sounds like they’re assuming my domain registration and web hosting are handled by the same company, which they’re not. So I can’t tell if they mean my web host or my registrar. Must be web host. The [long-number] seems to be plucked from somewhere specific, probably WF.

#84 2019-01-24 23:20:36

Destry
Website

I was thinking today how nice it would be to just not have anything to do with a website anymore. My sites haven’t been up for years anyway, so ‘what’s the point?’ I asked myself. I’m still not sure I have a good or justifiable answer.

I really don’t see lasting past 60 online, though. Another 7 years tops, and I’m probably handing the domain to the kids.

Board footer