Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2019-01-22 06:02:15

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

phiw13 wrote #316218:

Does anyone know how the VAT / Sales tax (which rate) is applied if you are a non-EU resident? Depends on the rate, it adds a bit (more) to the monthly price.

As far as I know, VAT / Sales Tax should not be applied outside of your economic area but the rules only apply to certain services/purchases (e.g. some goods have import duties etc.). The above webhost is a case in point:

• US Site: 0,58€ per add-on domain + 4,12€ one-off fee
    https://www.hetzner.com/add-on-product/show/addon-domains?country=us
  • German Site: 0,69€ per add-on domain + 4,90€ one-off fee
    https://www.hetzner.de/add-on-product/show/addon-domains?country=de
The other way around is similar:
  • if you’re in the EU and purchase from a country outside the EU, VAT does not apply.
  • if you’re in the EU and purchase from another country in the EU, VAT does apply
    • unless you specify a verifiable EU VAT-ID-Nummer, which you’re likely to only get as a business/freelancer, in which case the purchase should be a business purchase (B2B).

No idea what will happen with the UK (does anyone?!). At present Switzerland and Norway count like the EU because they’re part of the European Economic Area.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#62 2019-01-22 07:29:40

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #316221:

As far as I know, VAT / Sales Tax should not be applied outside of your economic area […]

Thanks! that is what I thought, but I haven’t kept up with taxation issues in the EU for a long time (as it hasn’t applied to me in a while…). My EU clients take care of their hosting themselves.

Both that infomaniak host (Swiss) and the hetzner.com host (German) offer attractive packages as far as I’m concerned.

No idea what will happen with the UK (does anyone?!).

Split in 4 entities, each one will apply for EU membership within a year ?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#63 2019-01-22 09:18:55

Algaris

jakob wrote #316221:

No idea what will happen with the UK (does anyone?!). At present Switzerland and Norway count like the EU because they’re part of the European Economic Area.

phiw13 wrote #316222:

Split in 4 entities, each one will apply for EU membership within a year ?

I’d laugh if I wasn’t having to live through this mess.

#64 2019-01-22 22:57:10

Destry
Website

Signed up and paid my first year at o2switch this morning (many hours ago). I have yet to get so much as an automated/no-reply email greeting or confirmation of anything. My ‘dashboard’ shows ‘in process’, but this is, without a doubt, the slowest response from a web host I have ever experienced. I’m half tempted to cancel it and go to infomaniak. Even Dean had me up and running within an hour, which was about the only thing that came fast from him. ;)

#65 2019-01-22 23:01:08

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #316226:

Signed up and paid my first year at o2switch this morning (many hours ago). I have yet to get so much as an automated/no-reply email greeting or confirmation of anything. My ‘dashboard’ shows ‘in process’, but this is, without a doubt, the slowest response from a web host I have ever experienced. I’m half tempted to cancel it and go to infomaniak. Even Dean had me up and running within an hour, which was about the only thing that came fast from him. ;)

do they have an english interface and documentation?

…. texted postive

#66 2019-01-22 23:02:43

bici
Website Mastodon

even though they use cPanel i am tempted to give a2hosting a kick of the tires.

Last edited by bici (2019-01-22 23:03:08)

…. texted postive

#67 2019-01-22 23:14:57

Destry
Website

bici wrote #316227:

No.

#68 2019-01-23 08:33:48

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #316228:

even though they use cPanel …

If you don’t have a large number of emails to deal with – e.g. you and your clients are using gmail or similar – another tack might be to try one of the semi-managed cloud server setups, such as those from cloudways (puts an admin layer over digitalocean, linode, vultr etc.) or another cloud provider like digitalocean or scaleway fronted by a runcloud panel (a separate admin tool with a separate fee). The caveat: most of those don’t have email built-in, or as an extra add-on. But that might be an option if you’re handling several sites and your sites have their own email or your domain registrar can do the respective domain’s email handling. Pricewise, it comes in similar, with the exception of email handling, which could add up if you have a lot of email addresses to deal with.

bici wrote #316227:

FWIW: all-inkl have an english-language interface but not english language documentation.

#69 2019-01-23 20:53:59

bici
Website Mastodon

Dreamhost.com has been suggested to me. Any thoughts about them?

…. texted postive

#70 2019-01-23 21:24:50

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #316251:

No experience but from the feature set of the shared “unlimited” plan, I’d say it matches your wishlist (click the “see technical features” button). And your control panel preference is also covered :-)

#71 2019-01-23 22:36:21

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

bici wrote #316251:

I’ve been a happy Dreamhost user for 15 years now. But I’ve never really used them for anything mission-critical.

#72 2019-01-23 23:01:51

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #316254:

I’ve been a happy Dreamhost user for 15 years now. But I’ve never really used them for anything mission-critical.

Thanks Michael
All i am doing is hosting TXP and one EE websites and mail for about 10 domains.
run-of-the-mail stuff.
I like to have ssh access and be able to schedule scripts for offsite backups… and be able to jail 1-2 users to their own file space if possible.
Plus i don’t want CPanel junk.

So it sounds like it would be a good webfaction replacement.

ps can you comment on this observation of one user:

“My year with DH is almost over. I didn’t much like it, I found the interface ponderous to navigate and confusing. Also, I didn’t have control over my php.ini file so that I couldn’t install sexyFileManager, and probably other stuff. It did work just fine for hosting simple web sites. Things were mostly up and email was mostly delivered (except the BHCC fiasco)”

Setting up email was horrible.

I had some serious problems with data bases. They were hard to access and edit. DH insisted on separate passwords for everything so doing SSH, phpMyAdmin, sftp, email, whatever, was a total pain.

Whatever they did offer was slow, confusing, and poorly documented. Likely, things have improved since 2013.

…. texted postive

Board footer