Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2019-01-16 16:10:03

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

Something official is now posted on the webfaction blog but once again specifics are lacking: https://blog.webfaction.com/2019/01/godaddy-sso-a-single-login-process/

It hints at a complete transition but isn’t as outright/up front about it as the migration screen is.

gaekwad wrote #316148:

look at Hetzner and see if they’re right for you.

Thanks for the tip. Looks comparable in price and service to all-inkl I mentioned earlier. I’m fine myself with German, but how’s the support in English?

colak wrote #316153:

It’s very expensive for those needing an SSH which in my view, provides, the easiest and most full-proof way to back-up and/or upload a largish db which in my case, it exceeds 79Mbs.

I saw that too. With “all-inkl” SSH is available at the next lower (10 €) price point. I haven’t had a 79 MB database to handle, though.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#50 2019-01-16 17:12:59

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #316153:

It’s very expensive for those needing an SSH which in my view, provides, the easiest and most full-proof way to back-up and/or upload a largish db which in my case, it exceeds 79Mbs.

If you have access to a) a macOS computer and b) a calendar, you should be able to schedule and undertake your own database backups with SequelPro – exporting an existing database can be done with sane breaks in the SQL syntax (for example, every 1MB) so as not to overwhelm a server with limited resources.

#51 2019-01-17 03:38:35

bici
Website Mastodon

i have had all my questions satisfactorily answered by Pair Networks. I am opening an account to begin exploration and to migrate by websites away from WebFaction. my deadline is August 31.

…. texted postive

#52 2019-01-18 16:32:07

zero
Website

I’ve been with Hawkhost.com for a few years and had no problems apart from of my own making when they have been friendly and supportive. I don’t have great needs but I think they cover everything.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#53 2019-01-19 21:34:05

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #316136:

o2Switch looks more economical either way you slice it, though I can’t quite tell what’s going on there. They seem to have a shared hosting (hébergement mutualisé) offer — ‘really unlimited, as they note in red — for a single annual fee of 72€. I can even pay by direct bank transfer because I’m in France. But then they advertise this ‘unique offer for 5€/month, but I can’t tell why/how that’s different; there’s no elaboration there that I’m picking up on. I guess I’ll drop ‘em a line with my needs and see what they say.

They replied and kindly explained, without laughing, that the two price offers are the same offer. They must use a different calculator than I do, but I’m guessing one includes tax, the other doesn’t to make it look sweeter.

Still, I’m going with them, and will transfer my domain to them too, away from that crap US registrar, Dotster, which has been getting more sales aggressive with every passing year. Hope to have this wrapped up by end of week.

#54 2019-01-19 23:03:19

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #316184:

… and will transfer my domain to them too, away from that crap US registrar, Dotster, which has been getting more sales aggressive with every passing year.

? i am still with them… for now––but I will not be renewing a few domains and the rest, in time, will be transferred to rebel.ca As for hosting I settled on Pair Networks. I have two sites now transferred from webfaction. the rest will be done by summer.

…. texted postive

#55 2019-01-21 04:29:13

bici
Website Mastodon

bici wrote #316185:

As for hosting, I settled on Pair Networks. I have two sites now transferred from webfaction. the rest will be done by summer.

well, that was shortlived. Pair creates Dbs as swedish_ci be default!! Ugh! and making them utf-8 involves too many steps. also, their user accounts all have to start with your main account ID. no go!

I am cancelling and now my work continues to find a webfaction replacement.

Last edited by bici (2019-01-21 04:29:50)

…. texted postive

#56 2019-01-21 04:50:30

bici
Website Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #316148:

I say this as someone who rolls my own hosting for my own projects, and recommends proper hosting companies for my clients: look at Hetzner and see if they’re right for you. I have numerous clients hosted with them, and they’re all happy with Hetzner.

it looks interesting but it seems taht we can ony host 10 domains with their level9 plan

…. texted postive

#57 2019-01-21 21:05:18

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #316202:

it looks interesting but it seems that we can only host 10 domains with their level9 plan

It does say you can add further domains over and above the 10 at a cost of 0.58 € / domain / month. I couldn’t work out – even reading the German – whether that also applies to externally registered domains pointing to their DNS servers, but it looks like it as they say 1 domain included and 10 add-on domains. How many were you likely to need? Infos here:

https://www.hetzner.com/add-on-product/show/addon-domains?country=us

My own host – https://all-inkl.com/webhosting/ – is considerably more generous in that respect for the same price, but it is also in Europe. If you are in North America, won’t you be wanting a server nearer to where you or your clients are?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#58 2019-01-21 23:03:55

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #316214:

My own host – https://all-inkl.com/webhosting/ – is considerably more generous in that respect for the same price, but it is also in Europe. If you are in North America, won’t you be wanting a server nearer to where you or your clients are?

all inkl is a good choice. i actually don’t care where the servers are as long as it’s a good deal and the documentation is available in english.
i’ll keep hunting. disappointed that Pair is so antiquated with regards to lack of UTF-8

…. texted postive

#59 2019-01-21 23:37:07

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Does anyone know how the VAT / Sales tax (which rate) is applied if you are a non-EU resident? Depends on the rate, it adds a bit (more) to the monthly price.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#60 2019-01-22 04:17:30

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #315998:

Does anybody have any experiance with www.a2hosting.com/?

annyone?

…. texted postive

Board footer