Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2018-12-27 17:41:00

bici
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

jpdupont wrote #315759:

Hello everyone, and a great new year!

This news about Webfaction distresses me, because their concept Domains / Applications / Websites and their excellent documentation and support were perfect for me. For e-mails I remained faithful to the email hosting Infomaniak, which for me was also great. Just a few DNS settings to get the best of both.

How to find such service at an equivalent price?
On other forums, I was put on the trail of https://www.o2switch.fr/ which on paper is very good. A list of accommodations with the same quality / price ratio as Webfaction is interesting.

Jean-Pol

Hi and Happy New Year. I am curious why you wouldn’t use Infomaniak for both email and domain hosting?

…. texted postive

#22 2018-12-27 17:54:00

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #315774:

Hi and Happy New Year. I am curious why you wouldn’t use Infomaniak for both email and domain hosting?

You’re right. If all you need is a LAMP stack, then that service appears to tick a lot of boxes at a reasonable price. Thanks for the pointer.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#23 2018-12-27 18:04:02

jpdupont
Website

bici wrote #315774:

Historically, Infomaniak was much more restrained for the creation of subdomains, the number of domains on a hosting, SSH access etc. Web prices were also higher, given the reduced number of domains per hosting. But their support is excellent, and fast, in French, by phone, chat or email. I am currently migrating all my domains from Gandi to Infomaniak, it is much cheaper.
Their offer has changed a lot, and I’ll do a comparison soon … I have already tried many things and for me currently, the top of the cart is the current version of Webfaction, and Infomaniak.

I have a large client with almost 10 sites, 3 of which are very important. They are all together on a single webfaction hosting. I will compare with Infomaniak, to see if the features are identical and for what price.

Last edited by jpdupont (2018-12-27 18:12:57)

#24 2018-12-28 10:52:39

jstubbs
Website

What is the overarching rationale for moving from WebFaction?

#25 2018-12-28 11:14:04

jakob
Admin
Website

jstubbs wrote #315793:

What is the overarching rationale for moving from WebFaction?

I don’t think we know one yet until we see what GoDaddy plans to do with Webfaction. Their glitch with the account migration screen may just have been for the billing side of things and the webfaction service may be maintained as-is, in which case moving may be unnecessary. If they were to migrate webfaction’s wide-ranging service to different service plans in Godaddy’s existing tiers of services, then one would need to see how they compare… and how smooth the transfer might be.

I’ve no prior experience of GoDaddy but plenty of people seem less than enamoured with them.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#26 2018-12-28 18:16:34

bici
Website

jakob wrote #315795:

I’ve no prior experience of GoDaddy but plenty of people seem less than enamoured with them.

i have had some limited experience with them as i was helping my son who had used them to register a domain. It took some doing to get him out from their clasps. I also helped a friend with his domain on GoDaddy. Not pleasant. Not something i would want. Their UI is Butt Ugly. And i am being kind.

I’ll be keeping my eye on the webfaction situation. But at this stage, in the new year, I will be moving at least one site to a new service so that i can get experience with the other service. Of course one major challenge is how to get archived emails transferred to a new hosting provider. P.S. Seems Webfaction has not been upfront with developments re Godaddy with current customers.

…. texted postive

#27 2019-01-08 01:04:20

bici
Website

Webfaction officially announced the GoDaddy acquisition.

Dear WebFaction customer,
As you know, WebFaction has joined forces with GoDaddy to bring you a
hosting company with even more brawn.

…. texted postive

#28 2019-01-08 06:32:35

colak
Admin
Website

On the good side

… to use alongside your existing WebFaction services, which you can still manage through your control panel as normal.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | Respbublika! | NeMe @ github

#29 2019-01-08 06:51:29

bici
Website

yes that was a relief to read.

…. texted postive

#30 2019-01-08 09:15:48

jpdupont
Website

If I have to leave WebFaction, my choice will most likely be Infomaniak Cloud Server

I test it free for a month and I find the essential elements of WebFaction.
The interface is nice, centered on the essential (not cPanel). As a customer, I get a discount. For one year: € 239 instead of € 299. It’s more expensive than my $ 200 at Webfaction, for 2 hostings.

Board footer