Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-10-02 16:19:38

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

Thanks Pete for the informative reply. I find it enticing but just know I’ll disappear down a rabbit hole if I get started when I should be doing something else.

What I was actually suggesting in my poorly-worded comment was that you (Destry) could run your own website from your home computer or NAS box. If you have a cable connection with a static IP, it should be fairly simple. If you have dynamic IP, the dyndns etc. can help track the changing local IP to a fixed point on the net…

Returing to your comments, Pete, an aside: Do you have any experience of or views on things like GoPanel? Looks similar-ish to ISPConfig except installed locally.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2018-10-02 16:37:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #314329:

If you have a cable connection with a static IP, it should be fairly simple. If you have dynamic IP, the dyndns etc. can help track the changing local IP to a fixed point on the net…

Yes. However, practically speaking many ISPs lock down certain ports (especially SMTP), and as soon as you hit an email blacklist it’s hard to regain a good reputation. There may also be restrictions in an AUP or EULA that prevent home-hosted sites.

Returing to your comments, Pete, an aside: Do you have any experience of or views on things like GoPanel? Looks similar-ish to ISPConfig except installed locally.

Honestly, the idea of having a publicly-visible website running from my macOS computer scares me. Some versions of some containers (Docker, LXD etc) and virtual machines have known vulnerabilities for the guest environment leaking into its host/parent, and that’s not something I’m comfortable with…I’m not implying GoPanel is the same, but it’s vague enough that I’m not convinced.

Likewise, if I install any IoT stuff (shady or otherwise) in my home/office, it gets its own vLAN so it can’t snoop around. Plus, my computer is turned off after work/play is done, I don’t really want to leave a computer on all the time. Scaleway is absurdly cheap these days, much cheaper than my power bill for a computer for the month.

I picked ISPConfig as an example, there are others that I’ve tried and found pros & cons with each: Webmin and Froxlor are very usable, libre software and have different strengths. I started out with a control panel and moved to DIY instead because I saw this level of complexity and abstraction in the middle layer that I knew could be worked around with a bit of trial and error.

It sounds smug saying it, but going from managed hosting to DIY with a control panel to DIY with command line (Ansible optional, but it’s great) saves you money and keeps your brain working. Sure, definitely not for everyone, but worth a look if you’re curious. I keep saying how good the docs and tutorials are at DigitalOcean, but it’s true. Read ‘em, crib ‘em for your own use, and build up your arsenal.

#15 2018-10-06 23:27:15

bici
Website Mastodon

david12 wrote #314455:

I see that no one here has a good opinion about GoDaddy. I want to ask about the same as gaekwad. Why do you don’t like GoDaddy?

Why do you like GoDaddy?

…. texted postive

#16 2018-10-06 23:28:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

bici wrote #314459:

Why do you like GoDaddy?

I’m going out on a limb and I’m going to say they’re a spammer.

#17 2018-12-26 18:37:56

bici
Website Mastodon

More disturbing news about webfaction.

A user on dec.11 wrote:

Just tried to log in to my account and was welcomed with a Webfaction to Godaddy migration screen? There was also mention that Webfaction is deprecated and if we do not have our accounts migrated to Godaddy we will lose access? This is insane!! Is there more information about this?

webfaction source

Given this, i think i have to now plan seriously for a move. A couple of hosting choices mentioned in the discussion on webfaction are Cloudways.com and Hostiso.com

anyone have experience with either? any other good recommendations ?

…. texted postive

#18 2018-12-26 22:47:26

jakob
Admin
Website

While it seems that thread was the result of a deployment error on the part of webfaction and godaddy and for the moment has gone away, it does show how they are likely to play their hand. Given that it was an error, the lack of accompanying information is understandable but altogether it does not bode well.

My client’s site with webfaction is not too hard to deploy elsewhere if the need arises but they have a long list of vital email accounts that would need transferring were I to switch hosts. Are there simple ways of migrating email accounts (all IMAP) without me having to ask each person to archive and transfer emails over?

One of my other hosts has an import facility as part of the webmail interface, though it’s not perfect but maybe there’s a good tool out there?

#19 2018-12-26 23:34:19

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #315757:

.. but they have a long list of vital email accounts that would need transferring were I to switch hosts. Are there simple ways of migrating email accounts (all IMAP) without me having to ask each person to archive and transfer emails over?

you raise a good point! I too have a couple of users who would require email migration.
something to think about.

…. texted postive

#20 2018-12-27 08:26:44

jpdupont

Hello everyone, and a great new year!

This news about Webfaction distresses me, because their concept Domains / Applications / Websites and their excellent documentation and support were perfect for me. For e-mails I remained faithful to the email hosting Infomaniak, which for me was also great. Just a few DNS settings to get the best of both.

How to find such service at an equivalent price?
On other forums, I was put on the trail of https://www.o2switch.fr/ which on paper is very good. A list of accommodations with the same quality / price ratio as Webfaction is interesting.

Jean-Pol

#21 2018-12-27 17:41:00

bici
Website Mastodon

jpdupont wrote #315759:

Hello everyone, and a great new year!

This news about Webfaction distresses me, because their concept Domains / Applications / Websites and their excellent documentation and support were perfect for me. For e-mails I remained faithful to the email hosting Infomaniak, which for me was also great. Just a few DNS settings to get the best of both.

How to find such service at an equivalent price?
On other forums, I was put on the trail of https://www.o2switch.fr/ which on paper is very good. A list of accommodations with the same quality / price ratio as Webfaction is interesting.

Jean-Pol

Hi and Happy New Year. I am curious why you wouldn’t use Infomaniak for both email and domain hosting?

…. texted postive

#22 2018-12-27 17:54:00

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #315774:

Hi and Happy New Year. I am curious why you wouldn’t use Infomaniak for both email and domain hosting?

You’re right. If all you need is a LAMP stack, then that service appears to tick a lot of boxes at a reasonable price. Thanks for the pointer.

#23 2018-12-27 18:04:02

jpdupont

bici wrote #315774:

Historically, Infomaniak was much more restrained for the creation of subdomains, the number of domains on a hosting, SSH access etc. Web prices were also higher, given the reduced number of domains per hosting. But their support is excellent, and fast, in French, by phone, chat or email. I am currently migrating all my domains from Gandi to Infomaniak, it is much cheaper.
Their offer has changed a lot, and I’ll do a comparison soon … I have already tried many things and for me currently, the top of the cart is the current version of Webfaction, and Infomaniak.

I have a large client with almost 10 sites, 3 of which are very important. They are all together on a single webfaction hosting. I will compare with Infomaniak, to see if the features are identical and for what price.

Last edited by jpdupont (2018-12-27 18:12:57)

#24 2018-12-28 10:52:39

jstubbs
Website

What is the overarching rationale for moving from WebFaction?

Board footer