Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2018-08-29 23:41:27

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Server migration - status, discussion

gaekwad wrote #313697:

www-dev.textpattern.com is a tweaked version of textpattern.com (Textpattern 4.7.1, PHP 7.2, Percona 5.7) running on the new server

(…)

Have questions? Please ask, I’ll be here for a few hours minimum.

ATM that test domain is not yet functional? With Safari, I get a “failed to open page” message – “The operation could not be completed, protocol error (NSPOSIXErrorDomain: 100)”. Firefox simply gives me a blank page.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#50 2018-08-30 08:25:01

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #313706:

ATM that test domain is not yet functional? With Safari, I get a “failed to open page” message – “The operation could not be completed, protocol error (NSPOSIXErrorDomain: 100)”. Firefox simply gives me a blank page.

You raise an interesting point, and I was trying to figure this out yesterday for hours:

• on Mac/Safari 11.1.2, it works fine.
  • on Mac/Firefox nothing happens.
  • on Mac/Google Chrome I get ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR.
  • on Mac/Tor it works fine.
  • ping.eu resolves to the correct address, online nslookup resolves to the correct address.
  • Let’s Encrypt! TLS is in place, and I used the web challenge, so that means the DNS from the LE point of view is working fine.
  • Qualys shows the domain works fine: www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www%2ddev.textpattern.com&latest

I am confused. It works partially. DNS TTL is one hour. There’s no strange cipher setup preventing access, nothing out of the ordinary on the virtual host. Shrug.

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-08-30 08:43:07)

#51 2018-08-30 08:49:56

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #313713:

You raise an interesting point, and I was trying to figure this out yesterday for hours:

• on Mac/Safari 11.1.2, it works fine.

Still using macOS 10.12? Possibly down to the differences in network libraries at the OS level (10.13 here).

• on Mac/Firefox nothing happens.
  • on Mac/Google Chrome I get ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR.
  • on Mac/Tor it works fine.
  • ping.eu resolves to the correct address, online nslookup resolves to the correct address.
  • Let’s Encrypt! TLS is in place, and I used the web challenge, so that means the DNS from the LE point of view is working fine.

Tor relies on an older version of Firefox if memory serves -again possibly a difference between network libraries. Opera beta (using chromium/68) simply tells me “the site can’t be reached”.

I am confused. (…) Shrug.

Me too, and that Safari error is, ahem, no really clear. A quick DDG’ing brings up this page which points to issues with CSP. Maybe.

Do you have other subdomains set on the server that can be tested?

#52 2018-08-30 08:54:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #313714:

Still using macOS 10.12? Possibly down to the differences in network libraries at the OS level (10.13 here).

Yes, 10.12.6 – I rebuild and update macOS once a year in September when the final point release for current version minus one is settled, and any security updates over the year.

Tor relies on an older version of Firefox if memory serves -again possibly a difference between network libraries. Opera beta (using chromium/68) simply tells me “the site can’t be reached”.

Me too, and that Safari error is, ahem, no really clear. A quick DDG’ing brings up this page which points to issues with CSP. Maybe.

Do you have other subdomains set on the server that can be tested?

It’s likely CSP. There are directives imported / translated from the current .com instance, I’ll check them all over again and see what’s up.

Edit: OK, fixed – Nginx quirk, it doesn’t respect line breaks between CSP directives.

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-08-30 09:07:52)

#53 2018-08-30 09:14:40

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #313715:

Edit: OK, fixed – Nginx quirk, it doesn’t respect line breaks between CSP directives.

Yes now it loads with Safari 11.2 on 10.13 and Firefox latest. I’ll have a look later. Must start cooking now.

#54 2018-08-30 13:12:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

phiw13 wrote #313718:

Yes now it loads with Safari 11.2 on 10.13 and Firefox latest. I’ll have a look later.

Seems to hold fine across both browsers. I didn’t see anything missing or otherwise odd and bizarre things happening.

PS – the car on the front page still frightens me :-p/

#55 2018-08-30 13:15:44

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #313726:

Seems to hold fine across both browsers. I didn’t see anything missing or otherwise odd and bizarre things happening.

Thank you very much – I appreciate you taking the time to poke around.

PS – the car on the front page still frightens me :-p/

It’s ready to deal with Godzilla and the alien spaceship below the fold.

#56 2018-08-30 14:36:53

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I was getting the spdy error last night in Chrome for Windows.

Just now at work – Chrome works. Firefox works. Bromite on my phone worked over both Wi-Fi and LTE.

So whatever the error was, it seems to be gone now.

#57 2018-08-30 14:38:39

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

michaelkpate wrote #313728:

So whatever the error was, it seems to be gone now.

Thanks, Michael – appreciated! Happy to confirm it was an Nginx configuration quirk that affected some browsers, and has now been resolved.

#58 2018-08-30 17:30:57

uli

While testing on my phone I saw that in Opera Mobile the waving sunflower graphic isn’t scaled down (rather a hint for Phil). The effect is an essentially white page with only the logo, search field, and the hamburger icon at the top. The only browser I saw it like that, BTW.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#59 2018-08-31 08:42:53

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

uli wrote #313731:

While testing on my phone I saw that in Opera Mobile the waving sunflower graphic isn’t scaled down (rather a hint for Phil). The effect is an essentially white page with only the logo, search field, and the hamburger icon at the top. The only browser I saw it like that, BTW.

Yep, it’s a known issue reported by another user a couple of months back. I haven’t got round to investigating why yet (I also don’t have an Android phone or Opera Mobile so it’ll make testing here difficult). Will be getting some spare time soon so I’ll try to fix (along with forum display problems reported by users a couple of weeks back too).

EDIT: I’ve created an issue to track that report – thanks.

#60 2018-08-31 11:07:50

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

My plan is to migrate textpattern.com to the new server today, with our old Joyent server acting as a fallback. No Textpattern releases are planned for the immediate term, and so this is a good opportunity to get the job done smoothly.

Possible symptoms or side-effects:

• browsers may complain of a TLS/SSL mismatch while the transition is in effect (this will disappear within a few hours and/or a cache flush)

Tentative schedule for the migration of textpattern.com (all times UTC):

• Friday, August 31st 14:00 16:00 – pre-migration preparation and testing completes
  • Friday, August 31st 16:00 – migration work commences, DNS changes to new server
  • Friday, August 31st 16:00 – 18:00 – DNS changes migrate to root servers
  • Friday, August 31st 19:00 – migration work completes
  • Friday, August 31st 19:05 – 1x chilled Asahi beer for me

Update: We’re running a little behind schedule, so work will continue into Friday evening. Please stay tuned.

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-08-31 16:37:58)

Board footer