Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2018-08-24 11:57:49

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Server migration - status, discussion

gaekwad wrote #313614:

The selection of ciphers used has been increased, and should cover modern browsers.

Just out of curiosity, what is the before / after list?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#38 2018-08-24 13:06:03

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #313616:

Just out of curiosity, what is the before / after list?

All the gory details here – before was the list from cipherli.st which with hindsight was too restrictive for older browsers.

Current situation outlined here if you’re curious. The cipher strength has gone from 100/100 to 90/100 with the change, but I’m happy with an A+ overall.

#39 2018-08-24 23:49:57

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #313620:

All the gory details here – before was the list from cipherli.st which with hindsight was too restrictive for older browsers.

Thanks !

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#40 2018-08-25 10:20:36

jakob
Admin
Website

gaekwad wrote #313593:

This period of transition is taking some time because of legacy & custom code in a number of Textpattern sites. There’s a bunch of work to do to get things running on modern code, and keep the flagship sites up-to-date.

Is that something we could help with? I’ve no idea about the forum software, but if you need someone to, say, help rid textpattern.org of the many errors it’s showing, I could probably help out.

And … thanks for all the hard work and consolidation you and others have been doing in the background!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#41 2018-08-26 13:45:34

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #313634:

Is that something we could help with? I’ve no idea about the forum software, but if you need someone to, say, help rid textpattern.org of the many errors it’s showing, I could probably help out.

Likely, yes – and thank you for the offer of help. The forum is on an up-to-date codebase thanks to the dev team, but textpattern.org and rpc.textpattern.com are in need of some attention.

Your abilities with plugins will be valuable and appreciated. I’ll be back in the office Monday and I’ll get some things in order then drop you a line.

#42 2018-08-28 07:50:11

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

It’s the RPC and the .org site that need work, as they haven’t been touched for a few years. The .com site and forum are both fully up-to-date codebases (as is the docs site).

Although the .org site will be replaced as soon as I get a decent amount of spare time, so it just really needs some band-aids to keep it running until then. I’m sure Pete can give you a login Jakob (I’m hoping to look at it next week myself once I get a couple of big work deadlines out the way). I think I will export the .org site as a theme and make a temporary Github repo for it so we can work on it in some sort of version control.

#43 2018-08-28 12:19:44

jakob
Admin
Website

philwareham wrote #313663:

Although the .org site will be replaced as soon as I get a decent amount of spare time, so it just really needs some band-aids to keep it running until then. I’m sure Pete can give you a login Jakob (I’m hoping to look at it next week myself once I get a couple of big work deadlines out the way). I think I will export the .org site as a theme and make a temporary Github repo for it so we can work on it in some sort of version control.

Yep, I know you’re planning something altogether better and more focused. But in the meantime, I’d be happy to remove errors and neaten up what we have so it’s usable as a reference resource until then.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#44 2018-08-28 12:28:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for the offer of help. I’ve just exported the .org site as a theme and uploaded to a repo. You can either fork it – or, if you prefer, I can give you direct commit access to it.

Please see here.

#45 2018-08-29 17:27:50

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

It looks like the www.textpattern.com migration is going to be reasonably straightforward, so I’ve started on that today.

I will update the OP after I’ve posted this. I’ve spun up a test site with the textpattern.com contents on the latest codebase (thanks, philwareham) and it should be ready for testing by some keen eyes in a few hours or less. I have some redirects to map, then I think we’re good for some user testing.

As of the time of this post:
  • textpattern.com is running on a Joyent server and nothing has changed
  • www-dev.textpattern.com is a tweaked version of textpattern.com (Textpattern 4.7.1, PHP 7.2, Percona 5.7) running on the new server

If the testing with www-dev.textpattern.com goes well, then that will become textpattern.com shortly after any bugs are ironed out, and go live on the new server. The www-dev.textpattern.com URL is just for testing, and it will disappear after the migration completes.

Have questions? Please ask, I’ll be here for a few hours minimum.

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-08-29 19:16:25)

#46 2018-08-29 18:30:29

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Good news – www-dev.textpattern.com is open for testing.

Please report any bugs as replies to this post.

Known issues (being worked on):

• CORS header on WOFF files

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-08-29 18:39:41)

#47 2018-08-29 19:02:21

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Pete – note that the Textpattern home site doesn’t have ‘www’ prefix. Hope that’s an easy tweak for you?

#48 2018-08-29 19:03:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #313701:

Hi Pete – note that the Textpattern home site doesn’t have ‘www’ prefix. Hope that’s an easy tweak for you?

Yes, trivial. www-dev is purely for testing purposes.

Edit: I’ve updated the post -thanks for the prod.

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-08-29 19:04:10)

Board footer