Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#409 2018-07-10 12:37:00

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

ICANN filed suit in Germany seeking an injunction to compel EPAG to collect the technical and administration contact information. ICANN argued that contact information was necessary to address problems that could arise in connection with the domain name registration. Rejecting ICANN’s request, the Regional Court of Bonn held that collecting data on technical and administrative contacts would violate the data minimization rule. In support of its finding, the court noted that registrants had not previously been required to provide technical and administrative contact details, and ICANN failed to provide adequate evidence that such data collection was necessary. – German Court Issues First GDPR Ruling

So every other Domain Registrar can now expect a fine of €20 million, or 4% of the worldwide annual revenue of their prior financial year, whichever is greater.

#410 2018-07-10 13:24:57

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

michaelkpate wrote #312940:

Referring to a German Court issuing a ruling that follows the GDPR:

Good, more like this ruling please.

So every other Domain Registrar can now expect a fine of €20 million, or 4% of the worldwide annual revenue of their prior financial year, whichever is greater.

There you are trolling – that is not how the “punishment” is applied. As has been already noted up thread.

FWIW – seen from here in Japan, EU websites appear not to make any distinction about location of the visitor, they apply the GDPR no matter what or where. US sites is another matter. The few I visit (and I visit less and less US websites) appear hell bent to suck even more data out of the (non-EU) user. Safari’s console reports such things in interaction with the content blocker I use. Japanese websites seem to play a more privacy conscious game.

(in case you’re worried, yes my content blocker is turn to strong and prevents most if not all trackers, and ads

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#411 2018-07-10 13:55:54

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #312824:

Time to uninstall Stylish and report it to your local data authority.

One alternative if you use Safari is User CSS which despite being ancient (2011) still works fine.

Perhaps other people can post other alternatives for other tools and browsers?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#412 2018-07-10 14:06:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #312944:

One alternative if you use Safari is User CSS which despite being ancient (2011) still works fine.

Perhaps other people can post other alternatives for other tools and browsers?

You do know that this type of extension is on life support in Safari? Safari.next (v11), at least as running on macOS 10.14 will disable those extensions (but probably also on 10.13.x). And to be honest, I use it less and less and less. At present, I only have two sets active, one Wikipedia, because their font choice is poor, the other one for this forum (manking links more visible!).

#413 2018-07-10 14:19:09

Destry
Website

I just find myself going to Reader View more and more by default when it’s available, regardless of what the website design is like. And all browsers seem to provide it now, though I notice some are better designed than others.

That’s kind of funny, actually… The design market is now competitive at the standard ‘reader’ view. Who can make the plainest of Amish coats? lol

Honestly, if the whole web looked like an unstyled HTML page — with decent typography and spacing, and a night theme option — I’m not sure I’d complain a lot. So long as it was not injected full of BS tracking and ads.

#414 2018-07-10 14:41:41

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #312945:

You do know that this type of extension is on life support in Safari? Safari.next (v11), at least as running on macOS 10.14 will disable those extensions (but probably also on 10.13.x).

I didn’t. What a pity. And what’s the rationale?
I have a bunch of extensions for useful tools (Dropmark, AdBlock, 1Password, Bettersource, WhatFont) and I have a range of user CSS settings (in fact more now to remove the more obnoxious yes-only consent boxes as Yiannis has mentioned). There are a few sites I use a lot (like dictionaries) that I’ve put into their own apps using Fluid (which also has a css/js inject function) and considerably restyled to fit in a smaller window.

Destry wrote #312946:

Honestly, if the whole web looked like an unstyled HTML page — with decent typography and spacing, and a night theme option — I’m not sure I’d complain a lot.

I’m all for simplicity and clarity too but the world is in colour and design when it’s good is a delight …

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#415 2018-07-10 14:53:14

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #312948:

I’m all for simplicity and clarity too but the world is in colour and design when it’s good is a delight …

Yes, but colour and natural design is all around us — tangible, touchable. Do we need it made artificially in the screen too when just trying to read? Maybe not. And especially if it’s consuming more energy to produce, impacting ecology more then helping understanding. Give me an oil painting. Give me a natural blue sky (or lovely textured clouds) and multi-hued and variably-shaped trees, flowers, and whatnots when I go for a walk. But just give me text, charts, and immediate photographs if I’m staring into artificial space. So the argument could go, rightly or wrongly, but probably without endless debate. ;)

#416 2018-07-10 22:48:28

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #312946:

I just find myself going to Reader View more and more (…)

Sure. I’m an avid user of reader mode in Safari / Mobile Safari. That is good for text heavy pages, and often bypasses those “we’ve noticed that you use an ad-blocker” overlays.

And then there are the zoom options which Safari & Firefox remember across sessions. In Safari: hold down the option key to have the ”Make text bigger” option (affects only text).

Honestly, if the whole web looked like an unstyled HTML page — with decent typography and spacing, (…)

Touches of color and a distinct layout help a lot to make the world a decent place.

#417 2018-07-10 23:07:09

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I don’t generally use any sort of Reader View except when the page is horrendous. I ran into one the other day that kept reloading constantly and I couldn’t read the article.

I used Mercury Reader which seems to be Chrome-only but after googling I found:

https://github.com/ejucovy/readability – which purports to be a fork of the legendary readability bookmarklet that introduced everyone to the concept.

#418 2018-07-10 23:09:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #312948:

I didn’t. What a pity. And what’s the rationale?

Ask Apple :-) Performance is one reason, privacy another. See the bazillion Chrome extensions that try to monetize your browsing. Stylish is only one example. There are probably other reasons too. If you use Twitter, you could ask jonathandavis or xeenon.

But note: it is not all extension that will be disabled, only the safariext ones; the way forward is via Safari Extension apps.

I have a bunch of extensions for useful tools (Dropmark, AdBlock, 1Password, Bettersource, WhatFont) and I have a range of user CSS settings (in fact more now to remove the more obnoxious yes-only consent boxes as Yiannis has mentioned). There are a few sites I use a lot (like dictionaries) that I’ve put into their own apps using Fluid (which also has a css/js inject function) and considerably restyled to fit in a smaller window.

1Password, afaik, is a Safari extension app, it will still work. I use 1Blocker which is equally an application. That is the way Apple want things to work. I used to use Whatsfont, but noticed it seemed to do some tracking. The WebKit inspector can tell you which font is used (under computed value). Not sure about Dropmark and BetterSource. For the latter, the source code tab in the Inspector covers my needs.

1Blocker hides some of the obnoxious yes-only consent boxes; it has an editor to allow you to hide the rest.

One thing I haven’t found a replacement for is an extension to add a “Feed” button on the toolbar.

#419 2018-07-11 08:51:16

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #312963:

One thing I haven’t found a replacement for is an extension to add a “Feed” button on the toolbar.

I use this on Safari 11.1 and link it to Vienna – seems to work fine.

#420 2018-07-11 08:56:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #312967:

I use this on Safari 11.1 and link it to Vienna – seems to work fine.

Yes, On safari 11 (I use a different one, but the principle is the same) but it won’t work in Safari 12.

Installing your red-sweater extension on Safari Technology Preview:

Board footer