Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-04-29 14:00:08

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Upgrade old site stuck on language screen

I’ve been doing some testing with very old Textpatten to newer Textpattern with (anecdotally) mixed results. Out of interest, what are your Apache, PHP and MySQL versions, please and thank you?

#14 2018-04-29 20:18:28

CodeWalker
Website

gaekwad wrote #311507:

I’ve been doing some testing with very old Textpatten to newer Textpattern with (anecdotally) mixed results. Out of interest, what are your Apache, PHP and MySQL versions, please and thank you?

I was running on Laravel Valet on a Mac when i set that up (running on Valet+ now though because its more flexible & more features).

PHP 7 (apple version that comes built into high sierra) and MySQL 5.7.22.

The project i was upgrading does have a fair few plugins and some stuff u wouldnt see in a general install (custom development), although these are in the way of some extra tables in the database which the upgrade script wouldnt care about so I dont think that was an issue.

With such a big upgrade jump im wondering if it might bode better to do it steps 4.0 > 4.4 > 4.5 > 4.6, rather then going through upgrade scripts in one bam.

Last edited by CodeWalker (2018-04-29 20:33:47)

#15 2018-04-30 18:36:18

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

CodeWalker wrote #311510:

With such a big upgrade jump im wondering if it might bode better to do it steps 4.0 > 4.4 > 4.5 > 4.6, rather then going through upgrade scripts in one bam.

If it was me, I would do that. If you have 4.0.x-era plugins there’s a pretty high chance they just won’t work any longer.

Plan B, depending on how much content you have: take a full backup, check the availability of plugins that you use, then if appropriate migrate the content into a fresh 4.6.2 install piecemeal and forego the upgrades.

Forget Plan B, go with Plan C:

• check the current status of your plugins to see how much trouble and work this will generate
  • take backups, check backups
  • update to 4.2.0, check behind the scenes
  • upgrade to current release
  • (optional) enjoy a tasty victory beverage

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-10-15 13:47:19)

Board footer