Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2018-04-27 05:40:20

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Testers needed: flat development (4.7+ only)

The Reset button in the images seems slightly confusing before first use. Is it possible to have it hidden before an image for upload is selected?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#74 2018-04-27 06:57:12

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The upload button could also be hidden until something is selected IMO.

#75 2018-04-27 07:08:33

colak
Admin

philwareham wrote #311461:

The Upload button is not as much of a UI problem to me as it indicates that the image will be uploaded only after it is selected and the button is clicked. Without it, some may think that the image will be uploaded on selection…

These are of course very minor observations and after a single use, these functions become very apparent.

Yiannis
——————————

#76 2018-04-27 08:18:34

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #311462:

The Upload button is not as much of a UI problem to me as it indicates that the image will be uploaded only after it is selected and the button is clicked. Without it, some may think that the image will be uploaded on selection…

OK, good point.

#77 2018-04-27 08:19:55

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I agree with Colak on this. It makes the sequence of actions clear. The “Reset” button… hmm, maybe, not so sure though. After a first (batch of) upload, the input field still keeps the data, so it should be possible to clear it.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#78 2018-04-27 09:51:16

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #311460:

The Reset button in the images seems slightly confusing before first use. Is it possible to have it hidden before an image for upload is selected?

Wrong thread, gentlemen! :-) Still, the Reset button is a standard <input type="reset" /> that applies to the whole upload form, not only fileinput. I’d leave its management with browsers.

#79 2018-04-27 13:19:04

colak
Admin

etc wrote #311469:

Wrong thread, gentlemen! :-) Still, the Reset button is a standard <input type="reset" /> that applies to the whole upload form, not only fileinput. I’d leave its management with browsers.

Fair enough…. And you are right… It is the wrong thread! Apologies.

Yiannis
——————————

#80 2018-05-10 20:44:58

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

To continue testing flat resources (css, js etc) output in 4.7, you do not need to activate the following plugin anymore:

# Name: etc_easter_eggs v0.5 
# Type: Admin/Public/AJAX plugin
# 
# Author: 
# URL: 
# Recommended load order: 5

# .....................................................................
# This is a plugin for Textpattern CMS - http://textpattern.com/
# To install: textpattern > admin > plugins
# Paste the following text into the 'Install plugin' box:
# .....................................................................

YToxMTp7czo0OiJuYW1lIjtzOjE1OiJldGNfZWFzdGVyX2VnZ3MiO3M6NjoiYXV0aG9yIjtz
OjA6IiI7czoxMDoiYXV0aG9yX3VyaSI7czowOiIiO3M6NzoidmVyc2lvbiI7czozOiIwLjUi
O3M6MTE6ImRlc2NyaXB0aW9uIjtzOjA6IiI7czo0OiJjb2RlIjtzOjEzMDM6ImlmICh0eHBp
bnRlcmZhY2UgPT0gJ2FkbWluJykgew0KICAgIGV0Y19wcmVmcygpOw0KLy8gICAgYWRkX3By
aXZzKCdwcmVmcy5hZHZhbmNlZCcsJzEsMicpOw0KICAgIHJlZ2lzdGVyX2NhbGxiYWNrKCdl
dGNfcHJlZnNfaW5zdGFsbCcsJ3BsdWdpbl9saWZlY3ljbGUuZXRjX2Vhc3Rlcl9lZ2dzJyk7
DQp9IGVsc2Ugew0KICAgIHJlZ2lzdGVyX2NhbGxiYWNrKCdldGNfcHJlZnMnLCAncHJldGV4
dF9lbmQnKTsNCiAgICByZWdpc3Rlcl9jYWxsYmFjaygnZXRjX3JzcycsICdyc3NfaGVhZCcp
Ow0KICAgIHJlZ2lzdGVyX2NhbGxiYWNrKCdldGNfcnNzJywgJ3Jzc19lbnRyeScpOw0KICAg
IHJlZ2lzdGVyX2NhbGxiYWNrKCdldGNfcnNzJywgJ2ZlZWRfZmlsdGVyJyk7DQp9DQoNCmZ1
bmN0aW9uIGV0Y19yc3MoJGV2ZW50LCAkc3RlcCA9IG51bGwpIHsNCiAgICByZXR1cm4gcGFy
c2VfZm9ybSgkZXZlbnQpOw0KfQ0KDQpmdW5jdGlvbiBldGNfcHJlZnNfaW5zdGFsbCgkZXZl
bnQgPSBudWxsLCAkc3RlcCA9IG51bGwpIHsNCiAgICBpZiAoJHN0ZXAgPT0gJ2RlbGV0ZWQn
KSB7DQogICAgICAgIHNhZmVfZGVsZXRlKCd0eHBfcHJlZnMnLCAiRklORF9JTl9TRVQobmFt
ZSwgJ3R4cF9ldmFsdWF0ZV9mdW5jdGlvbnMnKSIpOw0KDQogICAgICAgIHJldHVybjsNCiAg
ICB9DQp9DQoNCmZ1bmN0aW9uIGV0Y19wcmVmcygkZXZlbnQgPSBudWxsLCAkc3RlcCA9IG51
bGwpIHsNCiAgICBnbG9iYWwgJHByZWZzOw0KDQogICAgLy8gTWF4IGZvcm0gbmVzdGluZyBk
ZXB0aA0KICAgICRwcmVmc1snZm9ybV9jaXJjdWxhcl9kZXB0aCddID0gMTU7DQoNCiAgICAv
LyBQYXJzZSBjc3M/DQogICAgJHByZWZzWydwYXJzZV9jc3MnXSA9IHRydWU7DQoNCiAgICAv
LyBGZWVkcyBuYW1lc3BhY2VzDQogICAgJHByZWZzWydmZWVkc19uYW1lc3BhY2VzJ10gPSAn
aXR1bmVzPSJodHRwOi8vd3d3Lml0dW5lcy5jb20vZHRkcy9wb2RjYXN0LTEuMC5kdGQiJzsN
Cg0KICAgIC8vIFBIUCBmdW5jdGlvbnMgdXNlZCBpbiA8dHhwOmV2YWx1YXRlIC8+OiBjb21t
YS1zZXBhcmF0ZWQgbGlzdCBvZiAnbmFtZScgb3IgJ2FsaWFzPW5hbWUnDQogICAgaWYgKCFp
c3NldCggJHByZWZzWyd0eHBfZXZhbHVhdGVfZnVuY3Rpb25zJ10pKQ0KICAgICAgICBzZXRf
cHJlZigndHhwX2V2YWx1YXRlX2Z1bmN0aW9ucycsICRwcmVmc1sndHhwX2V2YWx1YXRlX2Z1
bmN0aW9ucyddID0gJ21kNSwgcmVwbGFjZT1wcmVnX3JlcGxhY2UnLCAnYWR2YW5jZWRfb3B0
aW9ucycsIFBSRUZfQ09SRSwgJ3RleHRfaW5wdXQnLCAxMDAsIFBSRUZfR0xPQkFMKTsNCn0i
O3M6NDoidHlwZSI7czoxOiI1IjtzOjU6Im9yZGVyIjtzOjE6IjUiO3M6NToiZmxhZ3MiO3M6
MToiMCI7czo0OiJoZWxwIjtzOjA6IiI7czozOiJtZDUiO3M6MzI6ImJlMGY1NjhmYTc2NzI5
MDYyZmUxODQxMjNmMjE0MTg2Ijt9

DISCLAIMER: we hope to “officially” integrate this functionality in 4.7.2+, but probably certainly in a different way. So please be ready for changes if you use it now.

Last edited by etc (2018-10-08 15:30:46)

#81 2018-05-10 22:55:35

jakob
Admin
Website

etc wrote #311679:

To continue testing flat resources (css, js etc) output in 4.7-rc, you need to activate the following plugin:

# Name: etc_easter_eggs v0.2...

DISCLAIMER: we hope to “officially” integrate this functionality in 4.7.1+, but probably in a different way. So please be ready for changes if you use it now.

Hi Oleg, can you briefly explain why (what it does). I take it we need to include this in addition to your earlier etc_flat?

I’ve tried etc_flat now in normal and multisite installations, and it works nicely once you get into a proper workflow.
You just need to remember a) you need to be logged in and b) in testing or debugging mode. I’ve confused myself a number of times when trying in another browser (where I was, of course, not logged in) or after uploading from local to online where status is switched to live and I then wonder why my changes haven’t been implemented (because I’d forgotten to reimport back into the database from the flat files).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#82 2018-05-11 08:08:00

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #311680:

Hi Oleg, can you briefly explain why (what it does). I take it we need to include this in addition to your earlier etc_flat?

Hi Julian,

yes, it’s complementary to etc_flat atm, though I hope in 4.7.1 we’ll merge them together into some “flat” package. The etc_flat part is mainly aimed to the site development, like rah|oui_flat plugins. And the etc_eastern_eggs part is more like rah_external_output, with an extra ability to serve the content (css, js, ...) from flat files.

I’ve tried etc_flat now in normal and multisite installations, and it works nicely once you get into a proper workflow.
You just need to remember a) you need to be logged in and b) in testing or debugging mode. I’ve confused myself a number of times when trying in another browser (where I was, of course, not logged in) or after uploading from local to online where status is switched to live and I then wonder why my changes haven’t been implemented (because I’d forgotten to reimport back into the database from the flat files).

That’s exactly why it is not yet included as core feature: we get the basic functionality, but the workflow is not quite clear. Please feel free to suggest any improvements you see, thanks.

#83 2018-05-11 20:37:38

jakob
Admin
Website

etc wrote #311690:

And the etc_eastern_eggs part is more like rah_external_output, with an extra ability to serve the content (css, js, ...) from flat files.

So it’s for handling other mime-types via the styles panel. Thanks for clearing that up.

That’s exactly why it is not yet included as core feature: we get the basic functionality, but the workflow is not quite clear. Please feel free to suggest any improvements you see, thanks.

I’ve not thought this through in any detail and what all the implications are.

The current setup allows you to fiddle around in the background as a logged-in user without affecting the public site which is nice for making quick fixes without temporarily borking the front-end while you’re doing it. That was a facility we never had in the past.

But it also makes it harder to test across multiple browsers or devices because they are not logged in and logging in elsewhere can throw you out of your current session. (Or am I mistaken, and there’s a way to be logged in across multiple browsers and devices?).

Maybe the addition of an override switch that forces loading from the flat files regardless of site status or logged-in status is all that’s needed to make it easier for web developers to work, e.g. on a staging site or local webserver. When on, the flat files would be used regardless, when off, the current behaviour would apply. What do other people think?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#84 2018-05-12 07:38:18

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

jakob wrote #311704:

The current setup allows you to fiddle around in the background as a logged-in user without affecting the public site which is nice for making quick fixes without temporarily borking the front-end while you’re doing it. That was a facility we never had in the past.

But it also makes it harder to test across multiple browsers or devices because they are not logged in and logging in elsewhere can throw you out of your current session. (Or am I mistaken, and there’s a way to be logged in across multiple browsers and devices?).

That’s not really specific to the flat development. A logged in user will be served templates from the current theme (s)he works on, whatever section. The unlogged users are always served the themes attached to the current section. So there is always a possibility of discrepancy, be it served from db or fs, but it’s by design. You can safely develop a sandboxed theme without exposing it to the world. The flat dev just adds an extra sandbox for logged in users in the debug mode, switching between db and fs.

I agree that can be confusing, especially since different users can work on different themes. Which one should then be served to the unlogged visitors? A global switch to fs does not completely solves this problem.

Board footer