You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2016-01-18 10:08:38

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: [textpacks] Translating languages strings for Textpattern 4.6

Just need 3 string sin German to complete that translation, if anyone can help:

‘Extension’ (as in file extension)
‘Search files’ (the placeholder text in the search field on file list page)
‘Search articles’ (the placeholder text in the search field on article list page)

Either post here or (preferably) in the German Textpack itself

#74 2016-01-18 10:53:25

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote #297470:

Either post here or (preferably) in the German Textpack itself

Confused.

Am I no longer able to simply commit translations to the origin repo but required to use this third-party translation layer instead? Where is the canonical version of strings expected to be?

#75 2016-01-18 11:22:14

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

wet wrote #297471:

Confused.

Am I no longer able to simply commit translations to the origin repo but required to use this third-party translation layer instead? Where is the canonical version of strings expected to be?

You can do either – I will make sure they stay in sync. Basically the GitHub repo method is too daunting/complex for a lot of users so I’ve provided another method (which is designed specifically for translation tasks).

They have an API too so maybe one day a dev could link that directly into our project (as a replacement for the RPC). Dunno, up to you since I would not be coding that.

#76 2016-01-18 11:28:05

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote #297472:

Dunno, up to you since I would not be coding that.

Well, I wouldn’t either. I can do German translations just fine without syncing with a third-party translation layer ;)

#77 2016-01-18 11:48:20

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

wet wrote #297473:

Well, I wouldn’t either. I can do German translations just fine without syncing with a third-party translation layer ;)

That’s no problem. For those people that aren’t fine, they now have an alternative (and easier) method. Everyone is happy.

#78 2016-01-18 13:02:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi, I’m now starting from the beginning to normalise the terms in the translation. I think we should have a page where some terms can be accessed by all translators. Something like

English German Greek etc
article artikel άρθρο etc

Also is there a way I could moderate/approve the greek translation? I see a lot of mistakes there.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#79 2016-01-18 13:45:54

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Yiannis,

When in a translation edit page, you can click on the ‘Other languages’ tab to see what is has been translated to in other languages. Is that what you want to see?

You are free to edit existing strings in a language, and that then puts them back into the moderation queue for reapproval.

I have to approve them myself though, as that is when I copy them over to the GitHub repo (otherwise I would have no way of tracking that new/changed strings).

All translations that were imported from the GitHub repo were automatically approved. Although again, you can improve any of them you deem appropriate to.

#80 2016-01-18 14:07:36

colak
Admin

philwareham wrote #297476:

Hi Yiannis,

When in a translation edit page, you can click on the ‘Other languages’ tab to see what is has been translated to in other languages. Is that what you want to see?

Hi Phil, I can see that. I guess I am going a step further and I am suggesting to start building a glossary. The example I provided above was not the best one but terms like “section”, “directory”, etc could be translated in many ways. A txp specific glossary would assist future and further translation.

For example (to go into english terms) the difference between directory and folder in the context of “directory path”.

You are free to edit existing strings in a language, and that then puts them back into the moderation queue for reapproval.

I have to approve them myself though, as that is when I copy them over to the GitHub repo (otherwise I would have no way of tracking that new/changed strings).

All translations that were imported from the GitHub repo were automatically approved. Although again, you can improve any of them you deem appropriate to.

OK. No problem. I need a few days to normalise the translation and figure out how to translate the remaining 1%.

Yiannis
——————————

#81 2016-01-18 14:29:14

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Yiannis, there are Glossary features in the Crowdin system, do you have access to that?

I’m not sure I will personally have time to write out a glossary due to other work commitments, but I could help out on it a bit from time to time.

Regarding modération in the future – once the languages and users on Crowdin have been stabilised a bit, I will assign moderators to specific languages.

#82 2016-01-18 19:15:36

colak
Admin

Hi Phil, I do not seem to have access to add/edit the glossary.

I am also facing a problem on page 12 where I get a tooltip saying “this variable should not be translated”. For your info the page starts with “Import form” and finishes with “broken”. The tooltip appears wherever I take my cursor.

Is there anything we should not translate?

Yiannis
——————————

#83 2016-01-20 12:00:38

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@colak

Thanks for all the Greek language work – great stuff! I will put into RPC later today.

We are now up to 12 languages fully translated ready for Textpattern 4.6 – there are 32 other languages with various amounts of translations needed (some of the languages only need a handful of strings done to make them complete). If anyone wants to do that, that would be wonderful…

translate.textpattern.io

#84 2016-01-20 16:46:35

colak
Admin

philwareham wrote #297504:

@colak

Thanks for all the Greek language work – great stuff! I will put into RPC later today.

We are now up to 12 languages fully translated ready for Textpattern 4.6 – there are 32 other languages with various amounts of translations needed (some of the languages only need a handful of strings done to make them complete). If anyone wants to do that, that would be wonderful…

translate.textpattern.io

No problem Phil. In due time I’ll do more corrections and normalisations but I think that the textpack can be released (as a beta:)) for now.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer