Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2015-09-17 17:51:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: PHPXref at 1024px

ruud wrote #294932:

Bert, when you left, several weeks ago, I was under the impression that you wanted to fork TXP and take it into a different direction, thus creating a product that is no longer Textpattern. In that case using the name/logo TXP would be confusing to end-users. If you’re not, then I don’t see a problem with those sites.

Using TXP as part of the domain name is pretty common, TXPMAG, TXPTIPS, TXPQ, to name a few.

• So I went with TXPTAG.org for the tags site and TXPTAG.com for Themes, that was 5 years ago.
  • TXPlanet.net has existed since 2006, it’s a handy site to get an overall glimpse of things.
  • We Love TXP was given to me by Sam, I’ve polished it up and I’m getting submissions.

So the above sites are not welcome into the Textpattern family because I’ve been inclined to fork?

There in lies your problem, you’re lumping everything I’m doing into one forking nightmare.

This is week seven of my journey down the Bootstrap highway, and I’ve accomplished quite a lot.

So here’s the deal, you’re going to have to convince me not to fork in this here thread.

At the start of business Monday, September 21, I plan to release TXP CMS into the world.

Or I can link to your download of Textpattern 4.5.7 and bring more users into the family.

We can work together, or we can part ways right here and now.

#50 2015-09-17 17:59:51

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #294893:

Please, remove my admin rights now and bring Gaekwad back.

For completeness, I committed moderator seppuku (rather than being ousted from above) because of a serious confidence knock after a Textpattern project site upgrade went south, despite numerous checks before and after. My fault, of course, but I don’t know what I did wrong to break it. Things were fixed, so no long-term harm done, but it was a rough day.

Edit: use the right words.

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-09-17 18:08:52)

#51 2015-09-17 18:42:04

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

hcgtv wrote #294940:

Using TXP as part of the domain name is pretty common, TXPMAG, TXPTIPS, TXPQ, to name a few.

• So I went with TXPTAG.org for the tags site and TXPTAG.com for Themes, that was 5 years ago.
  • TXPlanet.net has existed since 2006, it’s a handy site to get an overall glimpse of things.
  • We Love TXP was given to me by Sam, I’ve polished it up and I’m getting submissions.

So the above sites are not welcome into the Textpattern family because I’ve been inclined to fork?

They are welcome in the Textpattern family. Of course they are.

There in lies your problem, you’re lumping everything I’m doing into one forking nightmare.

Correct. That was an assumption on my end and I suspect I wasn’t the only one who thought that, but the fact that you’re saying (right?) those websites will keep their focus on Textpattern is excellent news.

So here’s the deal, you’re going to have to convince me not to fork in this here thread.

Bert, you’ve already forked TXP: https://github.com/hcgtv/textpattern
And that’s a good thing. I’ve forked TXP as well, created several branches, issued pull requests. Nothing wrong with that; more people should do that and I hope you will do the same.

Even if you decide not to contribute back code and instead release it as a new CMS, that’s fine. Nobody will stop you from doing so. Just pick an original new name.

At the start of business Monday, September 21, I plan to release TXP CMS into the world.

That is the one and only thing people here are objecting to: using the name TXP for a CMS that isn’t Textpattern.

Or I can link to your download of Textpattern 4.5.7 and bring more users into the family.
We can work together, or we can part ways right here and now.

Easy choice: work together.

#52 2015-09-17 19:20:27

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote #294943:

Easy choice: work together.

Ruud, I like you.

Though your title says Developer emeritus, you’ve been very active of late.

Were you at the helm, directing the ship, I think we could work together.

Make it so.

#53 2015-09-17 21:43:44

zero
Website

I bought TXPCMS for the community and then gave it to Bert (who is an energetic part of the community) when some of the forum chose Textpattern as its preferred name. So I have an attachment to TXPCMS which might be causing a blind spot. But

I don’t see what the problem is with using the TXP:CMS name, why should people be upset with it? If Bert forked and called it Splishsplash.cms there would be no obvious link with Textpattern, but the software would still be closely linked with Textpattern so isn’t txp cms a better name? If Bert goes down a completely different route and the code becomes quite unrecognizable then, yes, a different name would be more appropriate. But it seems to me that’s not Bert’s intention. People might be seeing TXPCMS as a rip-off, plundering years of good work for selfish aims. But I don’t see that either. Bert just wants to make the software he loves more accessible, more visible. I don’t see either where the confusion comes in. This is the Textpattern forum. That’s the TXP CMS which uses Textpattern and recognizes its value and says so, doesn’t it? There’s twice as much, in fact more, access to Textpattern and its variant TXPCMS, so that’s good, isn’t it? What am I missing that the rest of you can see about TXPCMS.COM? Please explain.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#54 2015-09-17 22:40:11

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

zero wrote #294947:

What am I missing that the rest of you can see about TXPCMS.COM? Please explain.

The use of the Textpattern hammer and chisel logo is my only concern. Please don’t use that logo as that is not yours to use – everything else is freely distributed as long as existing licences are respected and author credits remain. That’s it.

#55 2015-09-18 01:11:01

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #294948:

The use of the Textpattern hammer and chisel logo is my only concern. Please don’t use that logo as that is not yours to use – everything else is freely distributed as long as existing licences are respected and author credits remain. That’s it.

The hammer and chisel is being displayed proudly on TXP Themes, the TXP Template Tags reference site, the news feeds over at TXP Planet, and of course there’s the showcase of sites at We Love TXP.

What site would you like to me to disassociate from Textpattern?

#56 2015-09-18 07:08:41

Destry
Website

Phil, Bert,

It seems to me there’s an opportunity here to establish an agreeable (and ultimately official) procedure for how “family” sites are identified in a way that’s compatible with Textpattern’s brand identity.

First, for distinction:

• “family” site = any third-party platform in support of the Textpattern project (there are many, not just Bert’s)
  • “project” site = a platform owned and managed by Textpattern

(The exact terms don’t matter at the moment.)

I was trying to inspire this idea earlier, and it’s a topic I’ve approached in a related way in 2012, which resulted in an attractive “Textpattern Network” badge for both project and family sites to use (if I remember correctly). There are both light (not shown) and dark options.

(That’s not the official file, just a nasty screen crop. I don’t know where the official source file is.)

So that should be used in the footer of every site that considers itself in support of the Textpattern project, specifically. Likewise, it should not be used if not in support. But that’s just the footer badge.

There’s also need for defining how family sites use the project’s brand identity to create logos for their own sites. This is not a foreign concept. Nearly every organization in the world that has it’s brand shit together provides a Visual brand identity guidelines — or VBI “toolkit” (for the engineer-minded). The guidelines are used by subsidiaries, chapters, partners, whatever to know how to create a logo or use brand creative concepts that satisfy the terms of the parent organization.

The problem at the moment is that Bert isn’t a designer, and there’s no visual brand guidelines yet to lead the creative effort of anyone who might want to help him out.

Obviously everyone’s busy with different things, but there’s a need for this sooner than later, and Textpattern would absolutely need visual brand guidelines in place if it ever becomes a foundation.

Last edited by Destry (2015-09-18 12:58:08)

#57 2015-09-18 14:33:45

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #294954:

The problem at the moment is that Bert isn’t a designer, and there’s no visual brand guidelines yet to lead the creative effort of anyone who might want to help him out.

Designer needed to replace a hammer and sickle in a 120×56×32 transparent png image, 2.57 KB.

I have an idea, just lack the Photoshop skills to pull it off professionally.

Please contact me via the forum’s facilities.

Thanks.

#58 2015-09-18 18:38:13

zero
Website

philwareham wrote #294948:

Just in case anybody else thinks I am part of the TXPCMS variant, I am not. I support Bert in most things but Bert is the only one doing his thing at TXPCMS. We exchange a few emails but we are in no way colluding or anything other than a mutual understanding that TXPCMS is a good thing.

So please don’t assume or surmise that I am writing anything about the Textpattern legal entity or TXPCMS in collaboration with Bert. I am independent and will remain so. If anyone wants answers about TXPCMS they should talk directly to Bert. I just give my opinion from time to time.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#59 2015-09-19 12:25:32

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

zero wrote #294970:

Just in case anybody else thinks I am part of the TXPCMS variant, I am not. I support Bert in most things but Bert is the only one doing his thing at TXPCMS. We exchange a few emails but we are in no way colluding or anything other than a mutual understanding that TXPCMS is a good thing.

Peter, that’s not what you said last night ;)

I just wanted to clear the air and say that Peter has been nothing but a friend, and a great help in getting We Love TXP cleaned up. TXP CMS is my deal at the moment, were there to be a legal entity, and I approve of it’s structure and board of directors, I would gladly donate them.

Peter is old guard, like I am, like Destry, and Milosevic, who just celebrated 10 years today, and so many others on this forum. We may come on here and rattle each other at times, but it’s a long history we have, and if our memories still serve us, we conjure up ghosts from the past.

Please keep in mind, that the old guard has stuck around, for better or worse.

#60 2015-09-19 16:24:07

Destry
Website

hcgtv wrote #294982:

the old guard has stuck around, for better or worse.

Cheers to that.

Board footer