Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2015-09-16 13:51:25

Destry
Website

Re: PHPXref at 1024px

Well, crap, I’m trying to wrangle kids and hold a conversation and it isn’t working. Somebody better take my admin privs away.

Bert, sorry, thought I was editing my own post. I don’t suppose you could delete your and we try again, there?

Anway, I had said:

To me the logo mark itself (hammer an chisel) is the common denominator that could be used effectively across owned and third-party platforms to show some kind of harmonious allegiance. It just needs some creative thought towards how to pull it off. If anything, it should be a fun thing to do, as well as productive.

To which Bert replied something like this:

The logo is being used on TXP Themes, TXP Tags, TXP Planet and We Love TXP. All of those sites currently hold their allegiance to Textpattern, do you see anything to the contrary?

To which I then replied (when screwing it up in Bert’s post):

I’m not talking about allegiance, per se, I’m talking about the visual identity not being confusing. Should I talk slower? ;)
And I don’t just mean your newly acquired suite of sites, but all other third-party sites too.

But like I said, I’m in the minority on “TXP”. I realize that. It just doesn’t communicate the brand name effectively enough. As long as people still write “TextPattern”, I can only think nothing but “Textpattern” is needed wherever possible.

Bert also had said something along the lines of:

Okay, I say let’s head towards TXP CMS then, anyone oppose?

Which I replied:

That was about it. Apologies for the absolute numb-nut move. Please, remove my admin rights now and bring Gaekwad back.

Last edited by Destry (2015-09-16 14:02:55)

#38 2015-09-16 14:03:34

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

destry wrote #294890:

But like I said, I’m in the minority on “TXP”. I realize that. It just doesn’t communicate the brand name effectively enough.

Let me get this straight, you’re not thrilled about the use of TXP as a brand name, you wish it went away and Textpattern was used instead, yet you’re giving me a hard time because I use a TXP branded logo on sites that are clearly Textpattern related.

Got it, let me exit stage left, this is way too surreal for me.

#39 2015-09-16 14:07:34

Destry
Website

Exactly wrong. But I’m done talking about it. I’ve got floors to mop. Exiting stage right.

#40 2015-09-16 14:25:28

uli

Also had that, editing when I actually wanted to press quote. If that happens to you, try going back in browser history. At least Firefox has a quite persistent cacheing mechanism (try your own browser) such that I even find text in editing areas when I quit and re-open FF (with windows not closed of course). *now ducks away from flying saucers*

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#41 2015-09-16 14:34:27

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The intention to use the textpattern.io domain name was informed to the other core devs and there was no opposition from them to the plan. It will be donated to whatever entity we set up to eventually govern Textpattern. That is all – nothing sinister or underhand – just a domain that we actually hold ourselves.

#42 2015-09-16 14:50:43

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #294900:

It will be donated to whatever entity we set up to eventually govern Textpattern.

When you get this entity all setup, drop me a line, until then Mr Wareham, until then.

#43 2015-09-16 15:05:16

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I reported a post once that I meant to quote. That was embarrassing.

#44 2015-09-16 15:21:38

Destry
Website

Uli, MKP,

Yeah, it sucks. Bad timing too. Thanks for coming forward.

#45 2015-09-17 04:39:50

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry, let us continue …

Destry wrote #294889:

To me the logo mark itself (hammer an chisel) is the common denominator that could be used effectively across owned and third-party platforms to show some kind of harmonious allegiance. It just needs some creative thought towards how to pull it off. If anything, it should be a fun thing to do, as well as productive.

Destry,

The logo is being used on TXP Themes, TXP Tags, TXP Planet and We Love TXP. All of those sites have held their allegiance to Textpattern for many years, do you see anything to the contrary?

I’m having a ton of fun, and I’m being a productive human being.

Now, please explain to me, how I’m doing it wrong from your perspective.

#46 2015-09-17 11:42:26

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

hcgtv wrote #294923:

The logo is being used on TXP Themes, TXP Tags, TXP Planet and We Love TXP. All of those sites have held their allegiance to Textpattern for many years, do you see anything to the contrary?

Bert, when you left, several weeks ago, I was under the impression that you wanted to fork TXP and take it into a different direction, thus creating a product that is no longer Textpattern. In that case using the name/logo TXP would be confusing to end-users. If you’re not, then I don’t see a problem with those sites.

#47 2015-09-17 16:39:13

Destry
Website

Allow me to ride that wave a minute, Ruud, for what I hope is the greater good of things…

ruud wrote #294932:

Bert, when you left, several weeks ago, I was under the impression that you wanted to fork TXP and take it into a different direction, thus creating a product that is no longer Textpattern.

An impression people are still under, mostly likey, unless we’re to interpret his return to harangue me a show of solidarity. In which case I am of value, if but cursed, because forking this project would be pretty stupid, in my opinion.

In that case using the name/logo TXP would be confusing to end-users.

Indeed, and identity has been my whole misconstrued point.

But unlike you, my good man, I feel “TXP” (the acronym) is confusing either way. That’s just my opinion about the “TextPattern” identity crisis, however. I don’t think anyone shares that point of view, so my sole opinion doesn’t matter, ultimately. And my time as TXP Mag editor should suggest to antagonists that I can see beyond the trees. It’s certainly not worth drawing sabers over.

#48 2015-09-17 17:31:06

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

If TXP is a fork of Textpattern then the hammer/chisel logo branding should not be used, as that is the copyright of Textpattern owners and not part of the software licence. Also any forked code needs to adhere to the correct licence conduct for use.

Board footer