Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2015-08-18 22:50:26

giz
Website

Re: What is Textpattern?

I couldn’t figure out how to display my svg in this post (or on Github for that matter), so I placed it on my website:

What is Textpattern?

• The sidebar links all point to the same url
  • I need to figure out a way to let people know that the damn thing is interactive!
  • Words can be easily changed, but not their sizes – each line of text in svg is ‘absolutely positioned’, and so if you bump up the font size of text, it won’t flow and the line-spacing will be wack.

#38 2015-08-19 12:21:20

zero
Website

Sorry to tell you now but I strain to read the small text. Doesn’t matter about your graphical use of tags but I think all the others, (pages, forms etc) should be larger. Also the & is not as grammatically correct as and, imo. You could put Interactive Overview right at the top, but if you could conjure up some svg voodoo and put a speech bubble with I’m interactive just above and pointing to Section it would be more intuitive, especially if you can make it disappear after they’ve interacted. Great work, by the way, and cutting edge, at least it is for me. SVG… mmm… more stuff to learn…

EDIT: In the event of nobody coming up with a purely visual indication, how about a message in your sub-graphic olive style but smaller, centred in the page which says something like:

You can tap or click on various parts of the image below for an interactive explanation

If you place that over the main image, when they click the Close X, it will disappear and they can continue. Maybe?

Last edited by zero (2015-08-19 15:24:40)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#39 2015-08-19 16:00:47

bici
Website Mastodon

giz wrote #294208:

I couldn’t figure out how to display my svg in this post (or on Github for that matter), so I placed it on my website:

What is Textpattern?

• The sidebar links all point to the same url
  • I need to figure out a way to let people know that the damn thing is interactive!
  • Words can be easily changed, but not their sizes – each line of text in svg is ‘absolutely positioned’, and so if you bump up the font size of text, it won’t flow and the line-spacing will be wack.

lovely …. I agree that it needs an explanation about it being interactive. Also a small quibble it would be cool if the interactive stiff was able to be toggled on/off rather than to have to use the Clos button.

But otherwise i like it. Thanks

…. texted postive

#40 2015-08-19 23:42:33

giz
Website

zero, bici

Thank you. I’ll see how it goes…

On the text legibility on small screens, the plan is to add some media queries to boost font sizes (I knew there was a reason for leaving so much white-space… ;-). I realise that I can even control the leading by using :nth-child(n) selectors and 2D transforms in the css – a bit kludgy, but thats svg. I think a newer spec of svg allows for multi-line text.

I do wonder if it wouldn’t be better to embed snippets of svg into html. Easier to code, but not neatly self-contained like svg…

#41 2015-08-21 20:07:16

giz
Website

Update:

What is Textpattern.svg
What is Textpattern.html

• better on small screens
  • added title banner with message
  • ‘esc’ key-tap & clicking the active background also triggers the close button

I’ve found css breakpoints can be unreliable when viewing the svg directly from my iPhone, but works when the svg is embedded in html

Last edited by giz (2015-08-21 20:13:07)

#42 2015-08-22 13:46:10

dos

looking great! (just want to say thank you to all the volunteers helping to bring textpattern forward!)

“HaHa. Your medium is dying.” –Nelson Muntz, Springfield.

#43 2015-08-22 19:09:00

towndock
Website

giz – beautiful work!

#44 2015-08-24 21:12:47

giz
Website

@dos & @towndock

Thanks!

I forgot to respond:

bici wrote #294229:

Also a small quibble it would be cool if the interactive stiff was able to be toggled on/off rather than to have to use the Clos button.

I considered this at the outset, but thought it best to keep a strict separation between the main diagram and the active overlay to keep it as simple as possible. I added an ‘esc’ key, ‘click-on-the-background’ and links within the description text to ease the pain.

Board footer