Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2015-07-20 19:43:52

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Domains

philwareham wrote #293550:

The set up of a Foundation would be a fine thing indeed. The question still comes back to Dean though as he holds the domain keys – we have made another attempt to contact him.

I think that is the BEST outcome for all, including Dean. Hopefully he will agree.

…. texted postive

#74 2015-07-21 05:41:00

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

zero wrote #293484:

It’s just copying textpattern.com across, changing textpattern to txp wherever it is needed

See exhibits 1…145

Please send pull request if you honestly promote a change of domains.

#75 2015-07-21 13:32:57

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

wet wrote #293568:

See exhibits 1…145

Please send pull request if you honestly promote a change of domains.

Hi Robert, all

I don’t think that anyone of us actually want a change of domains but we feel that there should be a plan B should Dean decide not to transfer the domains or worse, if he loses them.

I think that the suggestion of the foundation is indeed a good one but if this entails what is needed in Cyprus to register a non profit foundation like this I do not think that it will be possible. It is nevertheless a good idea and I am wondering if anyone knows enough (or even the basics) of how a foundation could be established with software as its basic and only asset.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#76 2015-07-21 13:37:55

jstubbs
Website

Plan A should mean the continuity of Textpattern. If that involves relying on Dean Allen, then its a plan that will inevitably fail. If exhibits 1-145 need changing, thats a small price to pay for the continuity of the project.

#77 2015-07-21 13:40:33

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Another thought: In Austria there’s a construct called “Verein” (association) which can act as a legal entity. The requirements to found one are low enough to be fulfillable by beekeepers, stamp collectors, folk dance groups, and other amateur assemblies.

#78 2015-07-21 13:49:10

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Ghost CMS is run as a Non-Profit Organisation in the UK, so it is possible. I have meeting with my company’s accountant tomorrow actually so I could mention it to her and get some feedback on the process/pitfalls involved.

In the meantime here is a bit of background info for UK set ups.

That is UK though. I don’t even know where would be the best place to situate a Foundation (although as I say, it works for Ghost).

#79 2015-07-21 14:37:50

colak
Admin

NeMe is registered as a non-profit association in Cyprus (very similar to Kunstvereins in Austria and Germany) and I can tell you what it entails here.

• A constitution drafted by the members with the help of a lawyer
  • One off lawyer’s fees for the constitution and the registration process (or as needed there of)
  • Annual audited accounts (auditor’s fees are needed for those) – I have to find out if this is needed if the association is not managing any money.
  • A “head office” address (it has to be in Cy i think but I can find out more about this if anyone wants)
  • A committee with President/director, vice president, secretary, assistant secretary, treasurer (even if there is no money involved), and 2 members
  • Registration with the VAT.
  • It needs to have a minimum of 20 members at any time.
  • annual meetings (they could happen via online connections).
  • keeping of minutes and submission of those to the government registry office
  • Language of the association could be that which is decided by the constitution which is approved by the registrar when the association is registered.
  • Committee elections at intervals drafted on the constitution.

I hope I did not forget anything but even if I did I think it would be minor.

Yiannis
——————————

#80 2015-07-21 14:42:11

colak
Admin

philwareham wrote #293586:

That is UK though. I don’t even know where would be the best place to situate a Foundation (although as I say, it works for Ghost).

I guess we should check the legal and fiscal responsibilities in each country and move on from there.

As all devs are currently from Europe, I think that it should be in a European country but I’m always open to better suggestions.

Yiannis
——————————

#81 2015-07-21 14:54:34

zero
Website

Verein is much like a voluntary association (read Legal Status on that one). Something more tight legally is a private company limited by guarantee which is what | was thinking of previously in this thread, even a charitable company LBG. However, the aims of a free open source CMS would have to be accepted by the Charity Commission as charitable for us to be a charitable company. This would be difficult.

I mention charitable because from what I’ve read about starting a foundation it is not what we want but all those recommending probably are thinking of something different?

As for “Please send pull request if you honestly promote a change of domains”, Robert, I do honestly think we should be safe before we are sorry and I am willing to change change textpattern.com to txpcms.com in all those pages. But I’ve not used github and don’t know how to proceed. I also don’t want to go ahead and waste my time (like the docs to dokuwiki instead of mediawiki thing which also wasted Ruud’s and others time). The flow of this thread was going towards getting a domain starting with txp, so I took the plunge before txpcms was taken (there are domain-grab lurkers I’m sure following this) but then the objections started coming.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#82 2015-07-21 15:33:30

bici
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote #293586:

Ghost CMS is run as a Non-Profit Organisation in the UK, so it is possible. I have meeting with my company’s accountant tomorrow actually so I could mention it to her and get some feedback on the process/pitfalls involved.

In the meantime here is a bit of background info for UK set ups.

I think the example you pointed should be do-able for us.

“Unincorporated Association

An Unincorporated Association is a membership organisation. It can be whatever its members want it to be, and carry out whatever activity you choose. It is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way for a group to set itself up. There is no need even to keep a membership list – anyone who is entitled by your rules to be a member can simply turn up and take part. It is ideal for many small groups, especially those without staff or premises. A large number of groups fall into this category (sometimes without knowing it).

You do not have to seek approval of any kind before setting up and you are free to draw up your own democratic constitution setting out the rules under which your group will be run. You do not have to register with any regulatory body, though if your group has charitable aims and an income above £5,000 per year you are required to register with the Charity Commission.

For more information about unincorporated associations see Legal Structures for Community and Voluntary Groups.”

I would be interested to see what your company’s Accountant has to say about forming an Association of some kind. Simple and not too Expensive.

…. texted postive

#83 2015-07-21 15:46:30

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

wet wrote #293583:

[…] beekeepers, stamp collectors, folk dance groups, […]

I love how your brain works, Robert.

#84 2015-07-22 00:46:05

Destry
Website

This voluntary/unincorporated association situation is interesting, but I“m unclear from the Wikipedia page what steps are needed to establish one, such as the paperwork, or if any steps are needed at all.

The Wikipedia page almost sounds like it’s saying that if two or more people share a common interest and actually divvy up structured responsibilities on their own volition to meeting some goal, then you have a voluntary association. But if that were true, Txp (and CSF, for that matter) would be one already by fact of it’s efforts, so I must be missing something.

I would recommend looking into this one and finding out what exactly the steps are to do it. Just to know what the process is, at least. For example:

• Do you need to register with the city (where it’s decided to call home)?
  • Do you need an association mailing address? (Can it be the address of an association member?)
  • Do you need a bank account? (That would probably help with certain things, but maybe not a deal breaker.)
  • Etc.

Last edited by Destry (2015-07-22 00:53:01)

Board footer