Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2015-07-20 10:17:24

zero
Website

Re: Domains

A few months seems like it could be long time to wait for communication from Dean. Can we set a precise date please?

Re Dean as one of many on a foundation, bici, are you envisioning a foundation of all those forum members who wish being on a committee type thing? Horse by committee is the danger with that.

In the UK you can set up a limited company limited by the guarantee that all surplus goes towards the aims of the company. This is different from the limited company where making money is the aim and where the profits go into the hands of the shareholders. The aims of the company limited by guarantee could be, for example, to provide a flexible platform for digital publishing and collaboration. (This is Joomla!‘s mission )

There are usually three people needed to setup such a company – chair, secretary and treasurer. They must have one Annual General Meeting per year and there are some paperwork things like tax returns and the total cost including accountancy fees would come to no more than £200 per year provided the company operated as TXP does now, ie no salaries and everything voluntary. The company can have overseas members but would be registered in the UK. Anybody want to join me to setup such a company? Or want to set one up without me – you can have the txpcms domains, I bought them for the community not for myself.

And back to domains, if no communication from Dean, I believe txpcms is the best name for a transition, ie copy everything over from existing .com, .net, .org and just leave everything as it is, the difference being that now we have everything redirected to a domain we own on a server we own. I’d suggest changing the domain name title from Textpattern to TXP some call it Textpattern until all page rank goodness is transferred. TXP could then become the brand or we could decide on a completely new brand. Or we could revert back to Textpattern if by that time the .com, .net and .org been transferred to us by Dean.

Last edited by zero (2015-07-20 15:56:34)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#62 2015-07-20 12:17:22

candyman

I disagree with the change from TextPattern to TXP. I would prefer any extension but I would preserve the original name.

I think that, only if one day will be necessary, we could start a thread where we can discuss (and choose) the alternative.

#63 2015-07-20 16:01:00

zero
Website

candyman wrote #293539:

I disagree with the change from TextPattern Textpattern to TXP. I would prefer any extension but I would preserve the original name.

I think that, only if one day will be necessary, we could start a thread where we can discuss (and choose) the alternative.

I added a sentence at the end of my last post (Or we could revert back to Textpattern if by that time the .com, .net and .org been transferred to us by Dean.) Those three TLD extensions are far better than any other for page rank, search engines etc.

I also changed TextPattern in your post, candyman. I don’t think it was ever the original name.

Edited. TLD extensions

Last edited by zero (2015-07-20 16:30:34)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#64 2015-07-20 16:04:36

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

• textpattern.club
  • textpattern.website
  • textpattern.space
  • textpattern.news
  • textpattern.solutions
  • text-pattern.com
  • text-pattern.org etc
are available:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#65 2015-07-20 16:22:05

zero
Website

Yeah, but Dean owns the Textpattern brand.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#66 2015-07-20 16:23:29

bici
Website Mastodon

zero wrote #293525:

A few months seems like it could be long time to wait for communication from Dean. Can we set a precise date please?

I think last week of Sept should give us sufficient time to hear back from Dean. As i recall someone has in fact recently communicated with Dean regarding some other issue.

As for the Foundation, while any and all could be members, I would think that 3-4 on the Executive would be fine. i.e. One Developer one Designer one Administrator and Dean. just a suggestion.

and now i leave it to you younger folk to sort through the issue As i am much closer to the End than the rest i think i should leave it to others to see this through.

Last edited by bici (2015-07-20 16:24:31)

…. texted postive

#67 2015-07-20 16:35:09

colak
Admin

zero wrote #293544:

Yeah, but Dean owns the Textpattern brand.

I’m not sure if he does. This is an open source project passed on by Dean to other developers. The only thing he currently has is ownership of the domain. I do respect his initial ideas and I am using the cms for over 10 years now but I am not sure if he actually owns the brand. If he did, would we be able to re-brand it as we did with the carver logo now replaced by the chisel and hummer? Also the way txp developed, it is as much Mary, Zem, Sencer, Stef, Wet, Ruud and philwareham’s baby (apologies if I left anyone out) as Dean’s. In fact if we were to check the amount of work carried out by the devs, Dean probably did the least.

Does anybody know a copyright lawyer here?

Yiannis
——————————

#68 2015-07-20 16:39:42

candyman

Let sleeping dogs lie.

I don’t understand a thing: has the Textpattern Team the backups of all the things? If the answer is yes, we have no problem. For more that 10 years Dean has paid the domain renovation: probably he will continue to do so.

The only advantage we could have is the creation of a Foundation. Move the domain to another person wouldn’t change anything, pratically

Last edited by candyman (2015-07-20 16:49:41)

#69 2015-07-20 16:55:36

bici
Website Mastodon

candyman wrote #293547:

Let sleeping dogs lie.

I don’t understand a thing: has the Textpattern Team the backups of all the things? If the answer is yes, we have no problem. For more that 10 years Dean has paid the domain renovation: probably he will continue to do so.

Most likely. But if he got run over by a grape harvester who could renew? Dean has the only Keys to renewal.

The only advantage we could have is the creation of a Foundation.

This is what grown-ups would do. It is the logical next step. Too many have invested in furthering the software and design to continue to leave it to an individual.

…. texted postive

#70 2015-07-20 17:07:21

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The set up of a Foundation would be a fine thing indeed. The question still comes back to Dean though as he holds the domain keys – we have made another attempt to contact him.

#71 2015-07-20 18:50:45

maverick
Website

candyman wrote #293547:

The only advantage we could have is the creation of a Foundation.

I believe a foundation offers multiple potential advantages to the project.

#72 2015-07-20 19:31:16

colak
Admin

maverick wrote #293554:

I believe a foundation offers multiple potential advantages to the project.

as dean often said:

+1

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer