#26 2015-07-17 09:00:48

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Domains

gaekwad wrote #293366:

I love that any of these are currently buyable by anyone:

• textpattern.sucks

What about wordpress.sucks as a domain for txp:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#27 2015-07-17 09:30:53

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #293367:

Hey. Play nice.

#28 2015-07-17 09:54:30

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #293368:

Hey. Play nice.

Yiannis
——————————

#29 2015-07-17 11:52:14

maverick
Website

If we can’t have textpattern.com/net/org, and if we want texpattern in the domain name, I kind like texpattern.io (I think someone on the forum said they had bought that one).

Txp.org andTxp.net are available for purchase from squatters. I like the idea of a three letter TLD

I suppose Textpattern.me has a certain pizzazz :)

Of course we could always resurrect xpattern.com :D (I think Wet may have control of that one?)

#30 2015-07-17 11:53:16

jstubbs
Website

Or re brand Textpattern totally.

#31 2015-07-17 12:02:23

colak
Admin

jstubbs wrote #293371:

!!!! That’s an idea !!!!!

Yiannis
——————————

#32 2015-07-17 12:23:08

maverick
Website

jstubbs wrote #293371:

After 10 years I suppose I’ve grown accustomed to the name Textpattern, and the affection/sentimentality that can go with familiarity. That aside, I’d be game for a name change if the consensus is that’s the best way forward.

#33 2015-07-17 12:24:43

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #293356:

textcarver.com

NIce, go with the old carver image – it redirects to Textpattern.com, intentional?

TXP Carver

colak wrote #293367:

Namecheap has it for $288, that’s a hefty price to pay for those tlds.

jstubbs wrote #293371:

My thinking goes like this, most of the external sites we’ve built have TXP in the domain name:

So look for a set of domain names (.com, .net and .org) that start with TXP.

Forget about TXP.com, been there, done that ;)

Think about it, how does content get to the front page? – txp:article

#34 2015-07-17 12:52:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

On rebranding: my 2c; get some popcorn.

My understanding of the situation, and I am neither a lawyer or expert at open source licencing, is that Textpattern’s GPL v2 licence permits modification and redistribution of Textpattern under another guise as long as credit is clearly shown in the source code.

So, fork it, strip out the references to Textpattern, write the credit to Textpattern, call it what you want, host it where you want and be on your way with a new CMS. Right? Right. Done.

Right now, I am not in favour of a fork. Personally, I am putting time and energy into the new phase of Textpattern where there is co-operation, progress, more openness and a new release on the horizon. I’ve sort of worn myself out with the history/politics and I just want to improve the software experience for everyone. I don’t care what it’s called. I don’t care which domain it’s on. The GitHub move has opened my eyes to what’s involved with the software, and if a domain drops, it drops. A new one is purchases, advertised, and set up. We rebuild. I’ve spent far too many hours on long-form replies here in recent weeks, most of which could be read with a tasty bowl of popcorn in hand, so I’ve made a resolution today (just now, actually) to spend more time doing and less time talking. And fewer italics. Yeah.

As far as I can tell, nothing is stopping anyone from forking. I don’t know of anyone that’s done it, but hosting is dirt cheap, there are endless choices for names and domains, and if there’s enough people momentum for change a fork will be the next big thing. I’ve enjoyed reading a lot of stuff around here from a bunch of people that I respect. If it’s time for change, make change. Watch The Network and/or Office Space and maybe that’ll give you the impetus to make the change.

I’m kinda done with the drama and posturing, I think, for now. I mean no offence by that, it’s just my take. My 2c, if you will. There are some smart people around here. This is part of the reason Textpattern and its community is a good fit for me, on the whole. There’s a lot of work to be done, and having a strong, capable CMS will make it easier to fork should that be inevitable. 4.6 isn’t going to write itself, and unless we want it to be in a permanent state of beta, we need to work on that.

If everyone reading this offered a bit of time each day/week/month, huge progress would be made on top of the already great progress that’s happening at the moment. Textpacks, documentation, testing, bug fixes, pull requests – all the usual things – all need doing. Remember those days when Textpattern commits were rejected by the developers for whatever reason? Those days are over. Things have changed, and the energy is returning after a hiatus. I’m excited, actually. All kinds of great things are coming out in Textpattern 4.6, and I’m happy to be a tiny part of that.

I hope your popcorn tasted good, reader.

#35 2015-07-17 13:06:08

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Just as a note, I have tried to contact Dean Allen and had no response whatsoever. I have never had any correspondence with Dean.

I own textpattern.io as a security in case current domains go belly-up.

The Textpattern brand may ultimately lay in the hands of Dean, it may not. I’m not a lawyer but even though he has effectively had nothing to do with the project fro 10 years+ I assume the brand is his until he says otherwise.

Textpattern can be forked into an entirely new project with a new brand and new owners as long as past contributors are credited, based on it’s license. However, I would really be reluctant to do that since Textpattern now has a long history and affection from users past and present.

#36 2015-07-17 13:13:08

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #293382:

Watch The Network and/or Office Space and maybe that’ll give you the impetus to make the change.

Check out hcgtv.com – as you click home ~ news ~ rated ~ tech ~ vocal ~ xfiles there’s a conversation between Howard and Max happening next to my avatar. One of the best movies ever.

So yeah, “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!”

Board footer