Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-06-01 16:23:17

Algaris

Re: Textpattern pub meet: St Austell, Cornwall, UK - May 25, '15

It was a lot of fun meeting both Pete and Stef, and talking Textpattern and web design amongst other things. I was amazed by the amount of knowlege inside both of those heads.

#14 2015-07-10 09:46:14

Destry
Website

Said it before, but these rare meetup occasions are exactly the kind of thing that should be put to a blog post, with a photo or two. More valuable than a forum thread. Only the people who were there can do it.

#15 2015-07-10 09:48:01

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Will do!

#16 2015-07-10 09:50:22

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #293010:

Said it before, but these rare meetup occasions are exactly the kind of thing that should be put to a blog post, with a photo or two. More valuable than a forum thread. Only the people who were there can do it.

Yeah – missed the boat on this one. There is, however, Bristol in October – so we’ll try harder. I’ve come to some acceptance that there isn’t enough ‘oomph’ at the moment to have a conference-style event, so I suspect it’ll just be a bunch of people shooting the proverbial in a pub. Regardless, I’m pleased it’s actually happening.

#17 2015-07-10 10:42:08

Destry
Website

Yeah, Textpattern is a long way from a conference.

But pockets of people getting together here and there around the world is feasible, and those gatherings should not be lost on the community no matter where they happen or in what language. Someone at each one should record the event (photos are essential) when they happen and make those URLs known back to the forum.

Gatherings are interesting for people, whether attending or reading about what happened. We can perhaps start encouraging that more by posting the ones devs are involved with at the blog, and inviting others to do the same.

Should gatherings ever start happening on a regular basis in a given region, I highly recommend someone there starting using Meetup.com to organize/promote/publish them. Another great example of putting the message where people are. Meetup.com is huge and spill-overs happen easily there.

You’d be amazed how fast a meetup group can grow if the meetups happen regularly.

#18 2015-07-10 10:48:48

Destry
Website

Btw, a version of what I just said should be a sticky post in this “Latest Happenings” forum. Something that advocates people meeting up and sharing those activities back here.

At the same time, Mary’s sticky is serving no purpose that the description of this forum isn’t already doing on the surface. Unstick it.

I’d advise revisiting all the stickies in this entire forum, in fact, and drop the ones that are just taking up top real estate. There are a few, IMO.

#19 2015-07-10 11:04:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #293024:

Btw, a version of what I just said should be a sticky post in this “Latest Happenings” forum. Something that advocates people meeting up and sharing those activities back here.

You write it, I’ll sticky it? Or, you should be able to write it and sticky it, but I’ll happily sticky it and share the beatdown if someone disagrees.

At the same time, Mary’s sticky is serving no purpose that the description of this forum isn’t already doing on the surface. Unstick it.

Done.

I’d advise revisiting all the stickies in this entire forum, in fact, and drop the ones that are just taking up top real estate. There are a few, IMO.

Agreed.

#20 2015-07-10 11:14:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #293022:

You’d be amazed how fast a meetup group can grow if the meetups happen regularly.

If Bristol works out this time, I’d gun for a repeat meet in spring 2016. Who knows, maybe even Upcoming will be on the air proper by then.

Board footer