Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2015-07-07 21:04:42

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Let's decide what's actually going into 4.6

candyman wrote #292797:

At this rate, if I were Textile, I would start to worry …

OK, I laughed.

#26 2015-07-07 22:48:11

gomedia
Plugin Author

jstubbs wrote #292764:

I personally like the Classic theme, but if Hive is responsive and modern and can be themed later, then why do we need Remora or Classic.

Hive looks great, and I’ve used it on client sites, but I prefer the more minimalist styling of Remora. Besides, Hive is no good for my development installations – long menus disappear/are truncated off the bottom of the window.

#27 2015-07-07 23:11:14

Destry
Website

gomedia wrote #292758:

can I suggest a cautious approach for 4.6? There have been so many changes to the core – code tidying/refactoring etc etc – that it might be better to get it out into the wild without the big ticket items included.

I’m inclined to agree. That’s not to say I haven’t been slathering over the eventual custom fields work, and to be able to finally design a new admin theme with the custom fields in mind, based on new admin templates, etc. But if there’s already been so much in the way of many little tweaks and improvements, roll that out.

I think there’s been so much talk about all these other bigger things, that you devs have put too much pressure on yourselves, or let the community do it. Don’t cave to that. Keep it measured and steady.

That said, I can appreciate Bloke saying that he’s in the groove. When someone’s in the groove, you don’t mess with that. If he says he can throw in a new blower, let him do it. But pick one of the things and do the rest in the version(s) after. In my opinion, folding multilingual into core is the first priority for delivery. Not only does that show those regional users that you care about them, but it kills off the MLP problem too.

A tame 4.6 release also favors getting some of the other stuff done. There’s been talk of moving forward with an open Textpattern blog, for example, which is a great idea, but, honestly, the current .com site is… Well, I can’t even stand looking at it anymore, let alone trying to use it. It’s not winning you any new customers, that’s for damn sure. And if people are going to write for the blog, by George the blog needs to be frickin readable, mobile-friendly, with latest articles accessible from front page. That micro-size typography and skinny column width is total shite. Seriously. The .com redo, revealing the new Txp brand, is long past due. (And please, Phil, give the blog some white space and reading room and a font size old eyes like mine can actually see — a decent reading experience. Allow for excerpts in articles, etc. Do it up, publication quality. Make it the prime outbound channel it should be.)

As for the packaged themes… all this opining about what is one’s favorite seems irrelevant. If a single theme gets the job done, ship that and let any of the other dozen or more CSS wizards in the community step up and take over maintaining Classic and Remora if they want them in there. Let Phil do other more important things.

Last edited by Destry (2015-07-07 23:43:29)

#28 2015-07-07 23:28:38

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #292807:

As for the packaged themes… all this opining about what is one’s favorite seems irrelevant to the cause. If a single theme gets the job done, ship that and let any of the other dozen or more CSS wizards in the community step up and take over maintaining Classic and Remora if they want them in there. Let Phil do other more important things.

That’s all I was saying, give Phil less to deal with and Hive will mature at a faster pace.

Like I said, I was a longtime Classic theme user, then I started testing all the different branches on my local server. The Admin Layout Update branch sold me on Hive, the enhancements and niceties that we talked about 7 or 8 years ago are coming to fruition.

The overhaul of the backend admin has been one of the most requested features, the Why can’t Textpattern look nicer, like that project over there? Yet nobody ever wanted to tackle the backend until Phil showed up.

You’ve got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

#29 2015-07-07 23:34:13

jstubbs
Website

Exactly – if Hive does the job for the backend why does Phil need to work on two extra themes, have you seen his list of to-do’s..

#30 2015-07-07 23:52:16

GugUser

hcgtv wrote #292792:

Buenas GugUser, perdoname si sientes que yo estoy creando problemas, pero tenemos que ves en cuando encender el fuego para cocinar nuestra ideas.

Hola Bert, no es un problema, no es nada personal contigo, ni he mencionado ni he pensado tu nombre al respeto, y tú tienes todo el derecho de escribir lo que quieres opinar, solamente noto que al momento, por la falta de tiempo y no suficientes conocimientos en inglés no logro participar de la manera como me gustaría hacerlo, pese a los tantos temas de interés que hay.

Last edited by GugUser (2015-07-07 23:52:34)

#31 2015-07-08 00:17:55

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

GugUser wrote #292812:

Hola Bert, no es un problema, no es nada personal contigo, ni he mencionado ni he pensado tu nombre al respeto, y tú tienes todo el derecho de escribir lo que quieres opinar, solamente noto que al momento, por la falta de tiempo y no suficientes conocimientos en inglés no logro participar de la manera como me gustaría hacerlo, pese a los tantos temas de interés que hay.

Yo te entiendo, en este momento, hay mucho pasando en el forum, es dificil seguir. Pero siento que el movimiento es buena noticia, vamos a lograr mucho en muy poco tiempo.

Yo soy Cubano, pienso que un dia podra retirarme en mi tierra.

Saludos.

#32 2015-07-08 02:44:40

GugUser

hcgtv wrote #292813:

Yo soy Cubano, pienso que un dia podra retirarme en mi tierra.

Ojalá se cumpla tu “sueño” y puedas regresar a tu hermosa isla, saludos.

#33 2015-07-08 06:14:40

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Right I’ve made a decision. I will work on Hive for 4.6.0 release.

If there is time between that and release I will also do Classic and Remora for 4.6.0. If not then they will appear shortly afterwards. Whether that is as part of a future release or relegated to an optional install is open for debate (let’s have that debate later though please, not now).

Thanks all.

#34 2015-07-08 06:56:38

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

philwareham wrote #292824:

If there is time between that and release I will also do Classic and Remora for 4.6.0. If not then they will appear shortly afterwards. Whether that is as part of a future release or relegated to an optional install is open for debate (let’s have that debate later though please, not now).

Thanks all.

No pressure and I am probably in the minority but I absolutely love Remora

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#35 2015-07-08 12:42:10

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #292824:

I approve this message.

#36 2015-08-27 14:20:31

Destry
Website

Putting some urgency on this topic again.

Board footer