Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-05-05 15:14:59

zero
Website

Re: extra words/characters in pages (random code)

The problem disappeared for a couple of years for me but returned with a vengeance last week, forcing me to use a CSS validator to show up all the bits and pieces of random text that seemed to come from previous deletions, cuts or copies but I could never spot it happening at the time until today and now I found a solution! It’s not Textpattern, it’s a hardware problem.

I’ve been using a different mouse with a middle wheel and I like to scroll fast up and down. This has the effect of pressing the mouse wheel down or clicking it. I didn’t know that a click on the mouse wheel pastes content. I didn’t notice it before because the pasted content disappeared from view because I was scrolling. But today I accidentally scrolled on an Excerpt field with no content and some previously deleted text got pasted there.

I found this discussion and tried this patch which worked. NB. It took over an hour to complete! There are much simpler suggestions in the discussion that might work if you have this problem.

I am using Debian, btw, but previously was using a Mac. Neither have an option I could find for controlling mouse functions, hence having to patch Debian.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer