Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-08-19 12:03:27

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Re: Call to help translate (now via GitHub)

Hi

I can still review arabic change even if i hadent done a ot of translation but i am still here.

Cheers

#14 2013-08-19 12:11:42

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Rabah,

Thanks, the Arabic languages files are in the GitHub repo so if you want to fork and edit, that’d be great. I’m starting to learn about and improve RTL support in the 4.6dev releases so this is a good time to be doing these translations, every one you do helps us.

#15 2013-08-19 12:12:30

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

[Off topic]
Jukka: any chance to have a lang attribute for text tag (<txp:text lang="en-gb" item="sentence" />) with your new core code?
Useful for international websites.

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#16 2013-08-19 15:51:15

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

The latest commit makes the repository and its tests compatible with GitHub’s web editor. This means you do contributions from GitHub’s website, without having to actually use git.

To contribute to a translation directly from GitHub website:

1. Navigate to a Textpack file you would want to alter. E.g. textpacks/en-gb.textpack.
  2. Click the edit button on the editor bar above the file contents.
  3. Do alterations.
  4. Fill in the short commit message. Don’t use the description. If you do, remember you need to format it for CLI. If you don’t know what that means, don’t use it.
  5. Hit save.
  6. Click the Pull request button.
  7. Fill in the description and explain what the modification do and why. Be precise.
  8. Send in the pull request.

Once the pull request is closed (merged or denied), go back to your GitHub page and delete your clone – the textpacks repository found on your profile page. Since you aren’t using git, you MUST delete it and start the process from ground up before you contribute again.

wet wrote:

I think you’d need to provide this workflow as a verbose and probably illustrated step-by-step instruction to help the current translators make the transition from the current simple, easily navigable web form on the RPC server to this complex tool invocation.

But that’s not the workflow. We can’t exactly teach git, without teaching git, right? While its great to give step by step instructions, there is almost no ‘this is what you do’ when dealing with dvcs. You do what the situations needs you to do.

Of course git is smart, and can do much for you. You don’t technically have to know more than two commands, but it might not be the right thing to do. Unless you really like merge commits. Not sure if its issue for us since I’ve already done bunch of them on the Textpacks repo.

For one, someone that doesn’t use git, doesn’t get any benefit from feature branch. Sure, we that do use git understand right a way what it is for — obviously to keep the clone itself clean so that you can later on keep branching from the same clone, while still preserving your edits and later on update them even.

You are almost better off, not rebasing, if you don’t know why to rebase and when. If you don’t know git you are almost better off doing just this:

$ git clone git@github.com:gocom/textpacks.git
$ cd textpacks
$ git remote add upstream https://github.com/textpattern/textpacks.git
$ git pull upstream/master
$ git commit -am "Corrections to proper noun casing."
$ git push origin

Heck, if you don’t know about merging, you can even left remotes out:

$ git clone git@github.com:gocom/textpacks.git
$ cd textpacks
$ git push origin

Since you are editing the master directly anyways and not rebasing. You don’t have to pull either in that case, since you are the only one working on your clone. If you are on Windows, you probably don’t want SSH either:

$ git clone https://github.com/gocom/textpacks.git
$ cd textpacks
$ git push origin

Which is what your GUI clients and the GitHub web editor will do too. Well, unless the interface is one of those that show a tree timeline and actually has 50 buttons on its tool bar, or menus stacked with options.

philwareham wrote:

Just need to think about how we handle setup of the peer reviewers within GitHub now.

If someone wants to be be a peer reviewer, they can watch the repository. Once you watch it, you will get notified about pending contributions (pull requests) and can then review the changes.

If you are active contributor we can take the practice of waiting your approval of the pull request. If the changes are smaller, like typo fixes, they will be merged as they come. Its VCS, it can be rolled back and changes are trackable. Something getting merged doesn’t mean it ends up to a release. If something doesn’t fly, open up an issue.

Pat64 wrote:

Jukka: any chance to have a lang attribute for text tag

Unfortunately there is no multilingual localization API. Currently Textpattern is only able to load and serve a single language per process. Its done entirely by dumping txp_lang table contents to a single global variable. There is no method of making that process multilingual.

As work goes, I’m going to be booked with base stuff such as adapters, iterators, factories, containers and dependency injector — the stuff that lets you to access APIs. And some actual implementations such as Textpack installer, DB layers, ORM, Sessions and Authentication.

#17 2013-08-19 16:05:38

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

kees-b wrote:

I have set up a github account (keesbran) and will gladly volunteer as nl-nl peer reviewer.

That would be great. If watch the repository on GitHub you will get notifications if there ever are going to be pull requests. If you want and have the time, you can then check the appending pull requests, and we can take the practice of waiting for your approval for a bigger changes that target nl-nl.

When it comes to active contributors that do use git, its not out of a question that we may added them as a contributor to the repository with write rights. That lets the guys to directly merge pull request etc. But we have to see. First the one would need to be able to use git.

#18 2013-09-21 21:06:28

AdamK

Ha, great. I was just about to create a repo for my adons in the Polish translation! So you have now a pull request to consider ;)

Yours
Adam

#19 2013-09-22 14:37:36

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Thanks Adam,

I’ve merged your pull request and also updated the Polish language in the RPC server with all your new additions. Many thanks for the contribution.

There are still 52 missing stings in the Polish translation, so if you could maybe do those when you get a spare minute, that would be fabulous.

#20 2013-09-23 04:57:38

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

fabulous

fabulous fabulous fabulous… Fabulooouuuuus.

#21 2013-09-23 07:09:33

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Well that’s my childhood memories ruined :)

#22 2013-09-23 07:25:05

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hey Jukka,

Is there any way you could create one of those repo tests which would report back how many empty strings there are in each language pack. It might be good for users to see at a glance how complete a Textpack is (and it’s currently quite easy to miss a strong or two when translating).

Not sure if that could be written to a file too?

#23 2013-09-23 09:46:57

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

Is there any way you could create one of those repo tests which would report back how many empty strings there are in each language pack.

Running phpunit now dumps the empty string counts to stdout, but writing test for that is not possible; the tests suite would never pass.

Not sure if that could be written to a file too?

If you want to save output for your own needs, try PHPunits logging flags or output redirection;

$ ./vendor/bin/phpunit > /tmp/log.txt

Last edited by Gocom (2013-09-23 09:49:26)

#24 2013-09-23 10:10:56

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Cheers Jukka. That helps.

When I get round to writing a new forum sticky on how to contribute translations, I’ll periodically paste the results there so people can see the state of various Textpacks.

Board footer