Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: [howto] How to add more Form types

I would definitely love this myself.

#26 2013-03-08 23:23:22

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: [howto] How to add more Form types

An option doesn’t sound good. I would say it needs to have freaking sleek interface so that it doesn’t need disabling. In general ‘disabling’ options are bad when it comes to interface. If some interface related feature need disabling, then the said interface is to blame. Having that option to get rid of such interface, ain’t an option.

I personally don’t really get the need for the ‘protection’ option. By default types that are not populated, are not visible in the sidebar. The options are still there and can still be there — they should in fact if referenced elsewhere in the core. The only thing you would need at all, is the ability to introduce new types. That is it.

In other words, the current form editor interface should stay same its now in its default view. There shouldn’t be multiple complicated inputs for the type, inability to edit the selected type or anything like that. There could be an option to create a new type, but independently from the form editor and its type input.

If types are collected from existing forms, the ability to create the new type will have to be when creating/editing a new form. But it must appear as a separate functionality from the main interface so that it doesn’t clutter it at all. Something that just merely adds an option to the select field. Small link, clicking it pops up a field that can be used to add a new type, the input type gets added to the list and selected. The other option to collecting types from existing forms is to have a registry for types.

Textpattern has some bad editor patterns as it is. The article editor’s date/comment options are a good example of that. I do hope we leave those multi-step options to that, please.

Board footer