Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2012-09-13 13:30:07

AdamK

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.5.1 released

is there a tar.gz version? To get the newest file I simply went to textpattern.com and pushed the big yellow button on the left.

Aaaa, Learn more… Sorry, it was not so obvious, stupid me… :( Sometimes the shortest way is not the best ;) I’ll remember

A.

Last edited by AdamK (2012-09-13 13:31:20)

#14 2012-09-13 19:18:46

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

The default for Info-ZIP implementation of ZIP archive (origin of symlink support) is to resolve symbolic links, and that is what is most widely supported across all implementations and platforms. Not every implementation of ZIP, or platform, supports symbolic links, which might be the reason behind why guys decided to bundled the links in resolved format.

Sure, it is unfortunate, but might actually be the best option. It’s better than the extraction process failing. The other option is excluding links and distributing them in TAR only.

The other issue related to the symbolic links has been that users are using SFTP and FTP to upload already extracted files to their server, and then wondering where the multi-site files disappeared as the protocol doesn’t support symbolic links. It does cause some unneeded confusion when you can’t upload all files, it almost can seem as if the upload is failing.

#15 2012-09-13 20:47:56

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

AdamK wrote:

2) wrong tab stops: tab jumps from Name to help icon instead of “login name” field
P.S. the problem with tabstops is omnipresent, eg. in filling the fields in the site properties.

Yes, this is something I’ve pondered over. We don’t use tabindex attributes on the fields in setup, leaving it to the browser default to tab to the next element in the code. That happens to be a tooltip at times – that’s kind of the correct result – but you could argue that a user expects the tab to jump to the next input field instead.

I guess I could do a straw poll and find out which method is preferred by users. I tend to prefer not using tabindex attributes at all, anywhere, ever, because it goes against the natural accessibility flow of the page. But I realise I might be in the minority here.

#16 2012-09-13 20:56:20

NyteOwl

Sad to see raw PHP go. I’ve had scripts in the past that wouldn’t run properly inside <txp:php>.

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#17 2012-09-14 20:49:06

bici
Website Mastodon

NyteOwl wrote:

Sad to see raw PHP go. I’ve had scripts in the past that wouldn’t run properly inside <txp:php>.

Preferences . Advanced:

Allow PHP in pages? ? No Yes
Allow PHP in articles? ? No Yes

Or am I mis-understanding the issue?

Last edited by bici (2012-09-14 20:55:26)

…. texted postive

#18 2012-09-14 20:52:28

bici
Website Mastodon

By the way … congratulations on the redesign of the new Sections tab! Much cleaner and logical .

…. texted postive

#19 2012-09-15 14:22:27

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote:

I guess I could do a straw poll and find out which method is preferred by users. I tend to prefer not using tabindex attributes at all, anywhere, ever, because it goes against the natural accessibility flow of the page. But I realise I might be in the minority here.

You’re definitively not alone in disliking tabindex. The problem with it is that it is very difficult to get right for complex forms (the use of tabindex on the Write pane annoys me 95% of the time), and is a hell to maintain – the old Sections tab pre 4.5.0 had the tabindex completely screwed up; I remember submitting a patch to remove that at one point. Plus, using tabindex penalizes the user who’d like to access those help links.

(and yeah, some platforms/browsers are better than others in managing that keyboard access, with Safari leading the pack – holding down the option key toggles all form controls or links + form controls)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#20 2012-09-17 12:30:08

miles
Website

Guys, Everytime I try to edit an article I get “Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.”

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

#21 2012-09-17 13:08:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

miles wrote:

Everytime I try to edit an article I get “Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.”

Have you recently upgraded? If so, my first port of call would be to ensure you’ve flushed your browser cache / forced an admin-side page load? It may be serving a stale copy of textpattern.js, for example.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#22 2012-09-17 13:20:02

maniqui
Website

miles wrote:

Guys, Everytime I try to edit an article I get “Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.”
Any thoughts on why this is happening?

It could be a plugin interfering there (it happened to me).
Try disabling plugins (particularly, those that are loaded in or affect the Write tab).

In any case, even if you get that “Sorry…” message, the content gets saved properly in the DB (well, at least, in my case, that’s what happened).

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#23 2012-09-17 13:28:52

miles
Website

Bloke wrote:

miles wrote:

Everytime I try to edit an article I get “Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.”

Have you recently upgraded? If so, my first port of call would be to ensure you’ve flushed your browser cache / forced an admin-side page load? It may be serving a stale copy of textpattern.js, for example.

Tried everything mate. I have had to go back to 4.4.1

#24 2012-09-17 13:50:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

miles wrote:

Tried everything mate.

I figured you’d have done that already, ‘twas just a long shot.

In which case I’d go with maniqui and say it’s plugin interference. As well as the msd_minibar thing raised in the post linked above, glz_custom_fields is known to cause similar things. You can try shutting plugins off one by one to find the culprit(s) then bend the plugin author’s ear (it may be me, gulp!)

The wet_plugout plugin can help track down such things.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer