Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2011-07-10 22:34:00

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Re: smd_where_used: help keep your admin side tidy

Very useful ideas (I’ve just had the need to save a bunch of articles again to rebuild internal links after moving from a subdirectory). I’d just make a call for a “feedback” message after point 6 and before the new blank search screen. Especially with actions on multiple records, it may help to know that everything has gone fine (or not). Not sure if that could be shown in the same screen with a new blank search operation, but a nice feedback message is always a bless for me as a user…

#98 2011-07-10 22:38:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Zanza wrote:

I’d just make a call for a “feedback” message after point 6 and before the new blank search screen

Yeah, that’d probably appear in the usual message area, e.g. 311 replacements made. Will that do? Or are you talking about a complete report on what was done?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#99 2011-07-11 07:50:26

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

It depends on the actual task, I suppose. What if some task are successfully done only on a part of the record set? Or if a part of the task is ok and part can’t be done? I admit I don’t know if the case is realistic, because I don’t know mysql well, how often db connection could be lost, so maybe this is just a paranoid thought. You are a betted judge than me. The point is that I have some piece of software in mind (mailing sender) that fails to communicate the point at which a big task has been suspended, to resume it. That kind of problem. Maybe not a problem at all in your plugin, and usual message fits. Just in case, consider it!

Actually, I’m sure you were already considering it. Only a paranoid attack from my part… :)

#100 2011-07-11 07:58:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Zanza wrote:

What if some task are successfully done only on a part of the record set?

Perhaps the ability to have a report would be best then. I’d probably make it optional (like in smd_tags) so you could see the results of the last action.

Actually, I wonder now if it might make sense to not take you back to the search screen again but leave the same results set from the previous search selected. That would allow you to perform multiple search/replace actions on the same group of results. The ability to start a new search is always available from the top of the panel so I don’t think we’d lose functionality. Will see how it pans out when I get round to looking at it.

If anyone has any further ideas, do shout.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#101 2012-01-23 04:19:26

jstubbs
Website

Stef, is it possible to extend where used to search inside article image fields? On a site with MANY images, the user would like to search to find where an image is utilized. Where used finds image #ids within articles but not the article image field. Unless I missed something…

#102 2012-01-23 09:11:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jstubbs wrote:

Stef, is it possible to extend where used to search inside article image fields?

It should be possible. Under the ‘Look at:’ row of checkboxes is a link reading Article search fields. Click, check, save, done. At least, in theory. ymmv depending on how many other places numbers are used and which other places you elect to search.

#103 2012-01-23 10:42:03

jstubbs
Website

Note to self: Don’t post anything before reading the docs or checking the options. Doh.

Thanks Stef.

#104 2012-04-14 16:25:51

mrdale
Website

Got an idea for this one that would {cue the infomercial music} make cleanup a snap…

On the results page, add a checkbox next to each item, and allow multi-edit functions (most importantly delete).

At present I zip back and forth from the results screen and the forms area. busily getting rid of all the forms that I am not using.

Last edited by mrdale (2012-04-14 16:35:01)

#105 2012-04-15 10:13:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

mrdale wrote:

add a checkbox next to each item, and allow multi-edit functions (most importantly delete).

It’s under consideration pending time to actually go and do it.

#106 2012-04-15 17:06:10

uli

Bloke wrote:

I’d look to finding some way of making multiple checkbox selections simple — like TXP’s multi-edit facility (but perhaps not as feature rich.

I played around with shiftcheckbox a while back. Needs some words of explanation, though, like in the demo.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#107 2012-04-15 18:19:53

mrdale
Website

Bloke wrote: It’s under consideration pending time to actually go and do it.

oops, as you were…

#108 2012-04-16 15:02:25

mrdale
Website

Donated some beer to divert stef from core work for checkboxes Anyone else wanna chip in?

Last edited by mrdale (2012-04-16 17:20:14)

Board footer