Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-11-27 21:16:28

Destry
Website

Re: Guests: 58, Users: 2. -- Pardon?

Txpish, Tabula… they’re both good, but a combination of the two is probably what’s needed. Less yellow background like Tabula and wider spacing like Txpish. I’m glad they both use brand colors.

uli wrote:

the old, brown theme “back from the old days” that has the power to put people off. It’s threadbare, completely totally outdated, and disgusting.

When I used the term “nostalgia” regarding the forum, I didn’t do so with regard to the project’s brand, it was a reference to the platform.

As far as I’m concerned, the “old” brand colors haven’t changed, and I hope for the sake of brand recognition they never do. Especially the yellow…it’s unique to this project, and engrained in the minds of everyone that’s ever crossed it’s path.

Not to get completely off track, but…

This conversation has just convinced me to publish an opinion piece I’ve been contemplating for the magazine regarding Textpattern’s brand. It will no doubt be controversial, but that’s the potential of opinion columns. Anyone is welcome to write counter point articles to a given opinion in the future.

Btw, some insights for you… the name of the opinion column is Hope for the Future, an expression you all may recognize, and one we on the editorial team think is quite fitting. There will also be a technical column called Meaningful Labour, which also makes perfect sense. These may not always be in every issue (because there are other regular columns), but when articles for these columns are available, they will be published.

#14 2011-11-27 22:33:51

uli

Bloke wrote:

we could “echo” whatever is posted to the group to a more persistent medium if that is what is desired.

I’d be taken with that, Sir!

Bloke wrote:

it’s a pain that Facebook requires login

Yes, though it’s not the extra step it requires, the real pain is because of their attitude towards collecting and aggregating data. It’s their laws on their territory. Agree or starve outside. Will I ever learn to stop worrying (and love that bomb)?

ruud wrote:

I actually like the Txpish theme.

Hell, it’s like staring at smoky curtains in a corner pub ;)

No, honestly, I had to get accustomed to my new curtains as well, but loved them after only some hours. Did it for better readability, btw: constant line length –> optimized line height.
And when you open this thread and enter the word “tabula” in an in-topic search, you’ll find only positive opinions about it. (At least unless people hating it detested even typing its name ;)

Destry wrote:

When I used the term “nostalgia” regarding the forum, I didn’t do so with regard to the project’s brand, it was a reference to the platform.

Yes, I wrote about what was on my mind.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#15 2011-11-27 23:03:51

jakob
Admin
Website

A simple, cheap, but effective way to remove nostalgia from it and make it shine a little more would be to finally make “Tabula rasa” the default theme

Well, you learn something new every day… never ever seen this before. What a world of difference! Suddenly it’s very bright here which is, erm, almost challenging seeing as it’s just turned midnight!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#16 2011-11-27 23:19:33

uli

Which subsumes the said opinions pretty well :)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#17 2011-11-28 00:59:30

maruchan
Website

I vote for Tabula rasa being default here. It’s much more modern and feels more like the main TXP site. After all, the yellow bg colors would still be available for those who prefer them…

#18 2011-11-28 08:32:15

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Tabula rasa gets my vote too. Can this forum do polls?

#19 2011-11-28 09:25:23

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I have to admit that I’ve been using the txp theme for some years now without even thinking about the other ones. after testing the tabula rasa theme for the first time just now I saw a minor css problem which I think that it can be corrected easily..
When viewing the “new posts since last visit” page, there is not enough left padding. Or maybe there should be no yellowish background. (Using FF8.0.1/mac)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#20 2011-11-28 09:36:18

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Tested tabula right now but still find oxygen better (full width and titles have background color)

#21 2011-11-28 09:40:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Tabula’s ok but the fixed width annoys me.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#22 2011-11-28 11:28:55

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

Tabula’s ok but the fixed width annoys me.

Just a few amends to the stylesheet would sort that out, for example…

#punwrap {
  width:840px;
  padding:10px;
  margin:0 auto;
}

to…

#punwrap {
  width:90%;
  min-width: 640px;
  padding:10px;
  margin:0 auto;
}

…would probably make the forum fluid.

#23 2011-11-28 11:54:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

Just a few amends to the stylesheet would sort that out

Works a treat, thanks. No idea why it wasn’t done that way in the first place. I might make the switch if this happened.

Anyone with their finger on the pulse of the forum administration care to comment on this mod and/or put it in place if it’s deemed the right way to go? Surely for mobile forum browsing it’d make sense? Or is that a whole other ball game?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#24 2011-11-28 12:02:15

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

Surely for mobile forum browsing it’d make sense? Or is that a whole other ball game?

It would make it a bit more mobile friendly, but the current layout starts to struggle at thin measures. You could probably get away with a min-width:540px; as the minimum – otherwise a bit more legwork would be needed to make the forum truly mobile friendly.

Last edited by philwareham (2011-11-28 12:02:46)

Board footer