Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2011-07-30 17:24:09

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: New Default Theme

Hi zero, since this is html5 the document outline is slightly different than previous XHTML or HTML. For example you can safely have multiple h1 tags on the page as they are semantic to their parent tag, not the whole page itself. For example you can have a h1 in the header tag and a h1 in every article on that page and a modern search engine will know how to interpret that. Likewise you could only have a h3 in your article title and it would give the exact same result as above.

I will have another look over the outline though and see if any improvements are needed.

Regarding the ‘?’ I’m not sure if I can add it in, I agree this may help in English but since this theme is going to need to be multiple language I don’t know whether I can add it.

Cheers, Phil.

Last edited by philwareham (2011-07-30 17:27:51)

#38 2011-07-30 18:16:03

zero
Website

Thanks Phil, I’m sure you will come up with the best way.

Another small one: from the PHP strftime site “Warning Mac OS X only: The %P modifier is not supported in the Mac OS X implementation of this function.” On my OS X the time is showing as ‘6:48P’ whereas on your demo site it is showing the ‘pm’ even when viewed from my mac browser.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#39 2011-07-31 13:26:54

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@zero

Thanks for the warning, I’ve changed the time with %P in it to just be 24 hour time now – bit of a shame, but it does fix the OS X limitation.

#40 2011-08-31 12:16:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Robert has just updated the Textpattern language server with a handful of new strings for this theme, which now makes the project totally language-free.

If you are using the Github version on any upcoming projects remember to make sure your language pack is up to date (go to admin -> preferences -> languages and then click ‘update’ next to any installed languages if available).

It would be nice if translations of the new strings can be made by willing contributors in the normal fashion – there’s only 14 extra strings so not too much translating to do.

#41 2011-08-31 22:46:27

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Great theme Phil, I really enjoy playing with it on my Android phone.

The only critique that I have is the use of PHP in the theme, I know it’s very little, but the biggest selling point of Textpattern is it’s use of tags. By using template tags, the user is shielded from shooting themselves in the foot with PHP.

Our biggest competitor, the capital P dangit people, probably wish they had such an elegant template tag system in place before their software went viral. Just read about the whole timthumb fiasco and you’ll come to appreciate the zen simplicity of Textpattern.

Other than that, I’ve learned quite a bit from your theme, thanks for your effort.

#42 2011-09-01 07:10:47

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Bert,

I’ve tried to use as many Textpattern tags as possible (within reason) in the theme to demonstrate their uses, including the single use of a <txp:php> which shows how you can extend functionality past the tags if none presently exist to do the job you want (in this case recognising when the comment author is also the article author).

I’d like to keep that in there personally, unless a core tag I’ve not thought of can do the same thing. But if the devs or community en masse decide that it’s wrong to have any raw PHP then of course I’ll look at stripping it out.

#43 2011-09-01 10:53:29

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

unless a core tag I’ve not thought of can do the same thing.

Fixed (kind of).

I’ll make use of this new tag in the new default theme for performance reasons and to shelter newbies from PHP, but I support your inclination to keep it in your extended version for educational purposes et cetera.

#44 2011-09-01 11:37:28

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Wow, that’s speedy service for you!

I think I’ll replace the PHP code in Github once this new tag makes it into an official TXP release – seems the best course of action.

#45 2011-09-01 13:46:43

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

I’ll make use of this new tag in the new default theme for performance reasons and to shelter newbies from PHP, but I support your inclination to keep it in your extended version for educational purposes et cetera.

New tag for a new theme, very nice of you Robert.

As for educational purposes, the footer in the archive, default and error_default pages contains:

<txp:php>echo date('Y');</txp:php>

Maybe this would suffice to show new users how they can use PHP?

#46 2011-09-01 13:51:19

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote:

Maybe this would suffice to show new users how they can use PHP?

Yeah, I’ll leave that PHP one in place, since it’s harmless.

#47 2011-09-01 20:27:04

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

Yeah, I’ll leave that PHP one in place, since it’s harmless.

Harmless, yes, but I have always found it annoying that there isn’t a Textpattern equivalent of the Movable Type Date Command.

#48 2011-09-02 09:35:53

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Board footer