Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#217 2011-08-23 13:19:52

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: The direction of Textpattern 5

I agree that Github would be a massive benefit to the project, not least because some of the development burden could be shared by willing contributors. The core devs could cherry-pick any pull requests that suit the philosophy of the project.

#218 2011-08-23 13:44:33

aswihart
Website

+1 Github is awesome

#219 2011-08-23 13:52:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

Github would be a massive benefit to the project, not least because some of the development burden could be shared by willing contributors. The core devs could cherry-pick any pull requests that suit the philosophy of the project.

Github, Mercurial. Same animal, different breakfast. Either way, that is the plan. Should have happened by now, hasn’t, sorry. But I’m on the case now the holiday season is over and we have some free(ish) time between us.

Part of the delay has been the CSRF thing (which the new version of Spark/Plug (imminent) will bring us, along with some other loveliness), part time constraints, part thinking / planning / taking requests on board.

Once we’ve put together a screen or two to show the sort of M/V/C split we’re adopting and started work on some of the convenience libraries, we’ll open up the repo to the community and encourage contributions for pull requests. Once the admin side is modelled as we have it today (so we know we haven’t missed anything with the migration) we can begin the serious work of porting Phil’s theme work over and fixing the database to deliver all kinds of future goodies.

This may end up with v5.0.0 looking very similar, if not identical, to 4.4.1 but with a different framework underneath and then incremental 5.x.x releases (hopefully at a faster release rate than we’ve traditionally been used to because the framework allows this) bringing in the various goodies talked about here and there, and chasing stuff down on an issue tracker as things move forward. That approach also gives plugin authors plenty of time to get to grips with the new way of doing things so we can hopefully limit the fallout.

One thing we’re keen to adopt is a testing framework like PHPUnit so we can minimise introducing regressions. That’s the primary motiviation behind doing a straight port of 4.4.1 to 5.0.0 so we can write the same tests on both and check we’ve caught every possible edge case. If anyone has any experience with writing tests for that tool, or has recommendations on one framework over another, please holler, otherwise we’ll go with PHPUnit and have to live with it.

Again, sorry for the huge delay. And remember this is only a rough plan not a roadmap and is subject to the usual fluctuations in the space-time continuum!

Last edited by Bloke (2011-08-23 13:56:27)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#220 2011-08-23 14:10:34

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

Once the admin side is modelled as we have it today (so we know we haven’t missed anything with the migration) we can begin the serious work of porting Phil’s theme work over and fixing the database to deliver all kinds of future goodies.

I’ve been on holiday last week but I’m going to do some substantial work on my admin side structure project this coming weekend. I’ve rewritten the existing TXP4 write, category and article list pages in HTML5 along with some (hopefully) more logical classnames, structure and tags already.

Once I’ve duplicated all the current TXP4 admin pages in HTML5 I’ll encourage people to look over the code and make any suggestions on how it can be further improved. That’s also where the fun begins with theming.

And I’ve pretty much finished the front-side theme apart from sorting out some language strings and a couple of lingering bug fixes that have been reported.

#221 2011-08-23 15:30:38

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: GitHub

Looks like this might have flown under people’s radars but Textpattern is available on github — and has been for some time. Graeme and I started the github mirror some time ago and it tracks the SVN commits well. Should the core team wish it we’ll gladly hand the keys to the github account over. We grabbed the ‘textpattern’ user account to make sure it was…

• available to the core team should they want it and to…
  • maintain a mirror if they didn’t.

So people are already free to fork Textpattern on github & make changes. But pull requests are disjoint as they would come to Graeme and I rather than direct to the core devs.

PS. I also believe our very own Manniqui has a repository that also tracks the SVN sources.

Steve

#222 2011-08-23 15:39:46

mrdale
Website

OK, regardless of all my bellyaching about CCTs in TXP (and at risk of pissing off previous Devs who worked very had on TXP), IMHO this Dev team is by far and away the best at creating a clear strategy for TXP, detailing features and sharing them, and producing meaningful updates on a regular basis.

Awesome work guys. It’s exciting to watch.

#223 2011-08-23 18:27:44

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

net-carver wrote:

Looks like this might have flown under people’s radars but Textpattern is available on github — and has been for some time. Graeme and I started the github mirror some time ago and it tracks the SVN commits well. Should the core team wish it we’ll gladly hand the keys to the github account over.

We sort of discussed the existence of the repository a while back, although it is not the most coherent thread.

Bloke wrote:

Github, Mercurial. Same animal, different breakfast.

According to some guy named Linus Torvald, “Two systems worth looking at: git and Mercurial. The others with good features are too slow [for large projects].” If you aren’t on Windows, you may not care.

#224 2011-08-23 19:08:12

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Michael wrote:

We sort of discussed the existence of the repository a while back, although it is not the most coherent thread.

That discussion flew under my radar.

Steve

#225 2011-08-23 20:11:41

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

According to some guy named Linus Torvald, “Two systems worth looking at: git and Mercurial. The others with good features are too slow [for large projects].” If you aren’t on Windows, you may not care.

LOL… they all are fast enough for a tiny project like TXP.

#226 2011-08-23 20:58:21

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

ruud wrote:

LOL… they all are fast enough for a tiny project like TXP.

Yes, but the only other two he like were the commercial Bitkeeper and Monotone, which I had never heard of and doesn’t seem to have achieved much traction. Speed may not matter to a “tiny project” but not having to create your own hosting solution does.

#227 2011-08-23 21:53:50

els

michaelkpate wrote:

Monotone, which I had never heard of and doesn’t seem to have achieved much traction.

<txp:off_topic>
Doesn’t that sound familiar? It could be perfect ;)
</txp:off_topic>

#228 2011-08-23 22:01:50

aswihart
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

If you aren’t on Windows, you may not care.

Git for Windows works fine.

Board footer