Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-03-07 01:31:28

maverick
Website

xpattern.net shut down?

xpattern.net showed a “it works” message. The forum returned a “host does not exist”.

I know that there has not been much activity for quite a while (a few commits at bitbucket). Just curious if the website coming down makes it official the fork is EOL?

Last edited by maverick (2011-03-07 01:32:00)

#2 2011-03-07 16:21:33

mrdale
Website

Re: xpattern.net shut down?

er… yeah.

Probably should’ve discussed this, but as:

1. the activity has slowed to zero on the forum
  2. I have backups for the databases and files
  3. many of the concepts we identified are being addressed by…
  4. …a new crop of devs who have a much more open and collaborative attitude.
  5. I’m paying yearly for xpattern.net
  6. I kinda needed the hosting space.

I decided to shut ‘er down. Could probably bring it all back up if there is a huge outcry.

#3 2011-03-08 20:52:31

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

mrdale wrote:

many of the concepts we identified are being addressed by…
…a new crop of devs who have a much more open and collaborative attitude.

Quoting Jeff from the mailing list:

Again, thank you, and I am looking forward to getting down to real work, as the true community project Txp5 will be, with help from you and others.

So I guess it was fitting to close the Community Driven fork to give way to the True Community project.

As for forks, or derivatives, or whatever word you’d like to use, seeing as TXP5 will be on a repository that makes it very easy to clone/fork the code base, don’t be surprised if it happens again. Though this time, it shouldn’t be frowned upon, but rather encouraged, cause it’s the itch that needs scratching that produces the most code.

#4 2011-03-09 00:34:41

mrdale
Website

Yeah, like I said… if I’m pissing anyone off by closing it down, just let me know and I’ll re-up it. Happy to do it.

#5 2011-03-09 01:06:45

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

My infamous comment from many years ago:

I have had idol fantasies of forking the codebase more than once… definitely not something I want to do (since I don’t really know how), but…

hcgtv wrote:

seeing as TXP5 will be on a repository that makes it very easy to clone/fork the code base.

It actually isn’t that hard to fork 4.3.0 right now – although I did that more to show I know how than anything else.

#6 2011-03-09 02:24:34

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

It actually isn’t that hard to fork 4.3.0 right now – although I did that more to show I know how than anything else.

Yes, I came across that GitHub repository, though I don’t know what wet intends it for.

I’m not encouraging a fork, all I’m saying that with these new code repositories it makes it easy to clone/mirror/fork a project and go about coding. Then, if the core devs like what they see, it’s up to them to merge that branch into the master.

It’s what we talked about before xPattern came about, having more participation from those that wanted to code, that was all. It was never nefarious, or sneaky, nor would it of taken time away from the main devs. Yet we were attacked, ridiculed, spied upon, prohibited from talking about the fork on this forum, you name it.

But hey, it’s 2011, times have changed, there’s a new crew taking over, but we blew 3 years and alienated prospective coders that are desperately needed now.

#7 2011-03-09 03:04:44

mrdale
Website

Yeah, like I said, things are better now. People listen. Dev’s no longer have the NIH philosophy.

kum-bai-ya, anyone?

#8 2011-03-09 04:59:01

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

hcgtv wrote:

Yes, I came across that GitHub repository, though I don’t know what wet intends it for.

I don’t know either… Which might be attributed to the fact that its lives on an URL containing michaelkpate in the path. Github obviously helps interested parties to even fork my avatar ;)

#9 2011-03-09 05:12:47

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Wet? It’s Michael’s git import :-)

But hey, it’s 2011, times have changed, there’s a new crew taking over, but we blew 3 years and alienated prospective coders that are desperately needed now.

In my opinion devs can do what ever they want. Yes, many of us donate, I included, for many this is the day business, but even then I don’t expect anything nor should you. Textpattern is a hobby. If you want fully commercial product, there are alternatives. If you want fully open community product, there are alternatives. Textpattern is what it is.

I would be happy with closed source Textpattern. I would be happy with single dev maintained project. I would be happy if TXP jumped over to ruby. None it matters. Currently it’s hobby. Making endless requirements, and claims that one needs something, takes the fun out of it. It’s hobby for the core devs. To me the most important thing is to keep the fun, the hobby alive. Thus, I donate small amounts from time to time.

#10 2011-03-09 05:59:57

TheEric
Plugin Author

Ooof… Harsh. I was so into making xPat at one point, then I suddenly lost time.

Renobird: MOCKUP!

#11 2011-03-09 06:02:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

mrdale wrote:

kum-bai-ya, anyone?

The lyrics go: Someone’s laughing, someone’s crying. Yeah, about sums it up.

wet wrote:

Github obviously helps interested parties to even fork my avatar ;)

That’s what threw me off, excuse the misunderstanding.

Gocom wrote:

To me the most important thing is to keep the fun, the hobby alive.

I can understand that, it’s the mentality I had back in 2001, but in 2011, I have a different mindset.

#12 2011-03-09 08:06:24

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

hcgtv wrote:

I can understand that, it’s the mentality I had back in 2001, but in 2011, I have a different mindset.

TXP being hobby isn’t really my mentality, it’s not my interest to keep it as one. But as long as it’s their hobby (TXP is not hobby to me), I would like to keep it as one, and not to make their lives any harder by making claims or requirements. I would personally enjoy more if TXP was paid software (with big price tag), with professional support and frequent update cycle. But open source is fine too :-)

That’s what threw me off, excuse the misunderstanding.

Gravatars are sneaky ;-)

Last edited by Gocom (2011-03-09 08:11:08)

Board footer