1. Index
  2. » Theme support
  3. » Coda

#13 2011-06-29 12:59:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Coda

I am doing this site for a company that already has an existing site so I don’t think I will be able to develop it on-line since they want to keep the old one up for now.

You can still do it by uploading to a temporary directory, design the site and then move it to its final destination.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#14 2011-06-29 13:37:41

saumbetl

do you need a domain for that?…I always get confused on ftps and the logistics of the internet

#15 2011-06-29 14:26:46

jakob
Admin
Website

do you need a domain for that?…I always get confused on ftps and the logistics of the internet

One way is to install txp on an own host, then transfer to the client when ready (important, for example, if you want to be paid before handing over the site).

Another way is to install your test platform in a subdirectory of the client’s host and set up a subdomain on the client’s hosting package linked to that directory (e.g. dev.domain.com). When it comes to launching, you don’t necessarily have to move the site as you can just direct the main www.domain address in the hosting setup to point to the sub-directory you were using for the dev version. You can then close the subdomain.

I am building the site locally so I am not sure how it works with other looking at it.

Another alternative: Does your local webserver package offer linking to dyndns or similar? You can do that with MAMP (Pro) out of the box and I believe that works with XAMPP and other local webservers too. You link your localhost to an address on dyndns that refreshes each day (or whenever your IP number changes) and Stuart could then access your setup from outside as long as your connection to dyndns is active.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#16 2011-06-29 14:56:39

saumbetl

jakob wrote:

Another alternative: Does your local webserver package offer linking to dyndns or similar? You can do that with MAMP (Pro) out of the box and I believe that works with XAMPP and other local webservers too. You link your localhost to an address on dyndns that refreshes each day (or whenever your IP number changes) and Stuart could then access your setup from outside as long as your connection to dyndns is active.

Tell me a little more about how this works. I am using XAMPP that is just set up locally on my computer. Can I post it somehow onto a live website without paying a fee. The company’s currant website was done by a professional company and they do the hosting themselves. I am not sure if I can get to the hosting platform or not. Like I said…I get really confused when it comes to hosting.

#17 2011-06-29 15:17:33

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

jakob wrote

One way is to install txp on an own host, then trans…

and

Another alternative: Does your local webserver package offer linkin…

Alternatively, if you have your own site, you can develop it in a sub-directory/domain there

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#18 2011-06-29 15:23:56

saumbetl

I am assuming creating a sub-directory or my own site will cost with hosting fees and domain name…

#19 2011-06-29 17:59:49

jakob
Admin
Website

I am assuming creating a sub-directory or my own site will cost with hosting fees and domain name…

If you already have your own webhosting package and website that is good enough to host txp on (e.g. php, mysql etc.), the chances are your host allows you to create subdomains of your own domain. There’s no extra registration fee for that because you already own your domain name. Usually that facility is provided in the hoster’s control panel or admin area. As regards creating a sub-directory, that shouldn’t cost you a thing. It would be outrageous if they charged for that!

My typical setup for simple sites is:

1. log on to my domain via ftp and create a new directory that will hold the site I am developing.
  2. log in to my host’s control panel/admin area (in my case browser-based)
  3. create a new subdomain such as mysite.mydomain.com. It asks me what the subdomain should point to and I choose the folder I just created. On my host that is available practically instantaneously. On some client hosts it takes a few minutes.
  4. You can now enter the subdomain in your browser, e.g. http://mysite.mydomain.com and it will probably show you an empty placeholder page.
  5. while still in my host’s control panel, create a new mysql database. If you only have one database, you can set up textpattern with a so-called table prefix which allows you to put several txp installations in one database, each with their own table prefix. I would highly advise making a backup of your existing online database first.
  6. you can now follow the instructions for transferring from your local installation online.
  7. from now on work on the online installation instead of locally.

If you don’t have any hosting of your own, you can use dyndns. They offer a basic free service that I believe is sufficient for testing purposes. The website remains hosted on your machine – i.e. if you switch off your computer, people cannot see it from outside. The basic principle is that you sign up with dyndns once, choose an address, e.g. mynamehere.dyndns.org and then link it up to your current IP address. It provides you with the tools you need to find that out. You need to do that ‘hooking up’ each time your IP changes, which for many people with a permanent connection means once a day. I believe there is an updater tool that automatically updates for you too. You can then privately pass your mynamehere.dyndns.org address on to Stuart (or whoever) along with textpattern login details if you need help.

There are some instructions here that look long, but only because they cover all situations. Once you have it setup to begin with, it’s a matter of seconds to update. Dyndns also provide some instructions for xampp but it looks like you’ve dealt with most of that already. Otherwise google. Here’s a video tutorial for example. I’m sure there are plenty more on the net too.

Last edited by jakob (2011-06-29 18:15:36)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#20 2011-06-30 15:00:03

saumbetl

What would I neet to do within textpattern to link it up with the DNS service? I am not sure if it is running correctly?

#21 2011-07-01 20:52:42

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Going back to your XAMPP install, I am presuming that you have the “thumb.php” file and “cache” directory in place?

Re-sized images are created in and called from the cache directory so it needs to be “writeable” and by default folders are usually created on computers as “read-only”.

“right-click” on the folder and select “Properties” from the pop-up menu. You should see near the bottom of the new window a small box with “Read-only” alongside it. The box needs to be empty. If it isn’t just click on it then click on the “Apply” button and go and try your site again.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#22 2011-07-06 18:51:36

saumbetl

alright thanks I will give that a try.

1. Index
  2. » Theme support
  3. » Coda

Board footer