hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Coda

Very nice Stuart.

A couple of observations:

a) Site is set to dedugging mode.
b) I’ve noticed that you use an assets directory to hold everything:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="http://protextthemes.net/coda/_templates/coda/assets/styles/default.css" />

May I ask what other directories are under _templates/coda/ ?

I’m just wondering why it couldn’t be like _templates/coda/styles/ and _templates/coda/js/, etc.

Like your domain name ProTextThemes :)

#3 2011-01-26 16:26:37

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I like debugging mode Bert though I normally shift to “testing”. I’ll do that now. Is it a problem?

The coda directory is split into “assets”, “forms”, “pages”, “styles”, “plugins” and “sections” because it is where the “whole thing” is stored. I could split assets up but I don’t want to make stuff too complex for the newer user. Basically the assets folder contains site-images along with “style”, “js” and “ads” folders and maybe one or two others dependent on the theme itself, thus “assets” is what I used to call “site-design” which would have been in the root in previous themes but has now moved into it’s own theme folder sitting inside “_templates”.

Last edited by thebombsite (2011-01-26 16:28:24)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#4 2011-01-26 16:54:28

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

I like debugging mode Bert though I normally shift to “testing”. I’ll do that now. Is it a problem?

No, not at all, just thought you had it on for testing purposes.

The coda directory is split into “assets”, “forms”, “pages”, “styles”, “plugins” and “sections” because it is where the “whole thing” is stored. I could split assets up but I don’t want to make stuff too complex for the newer user. Basically the assets folder contains site-images along with “style”, “js” and “ads” folders and maybe one or two others dependent on the theme itself, thus “assets” is what I used to call “site-design” which would have been in the root in previous themes but has now moved into it’s own theme folder sitting inside “_templates”.

Just curious as to how you lay out your templates/themes (argh!), wish we had an official name and directory location by now.

#5 2011-01-26 17:28:32

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Just curious as to how you lay out your templates/themes (argh!), wish we had an official name and directory location by now.

I couldn’t agree more Bert. I could lay it all out in some discussion topic but we’ve had them before and until something “official” is done we will continue to have them.

It would be good if theme creators, or should that be template creators, followed the same directory constructs if nothing else. Even I have modified the plugin to use “_templates” instead of the default “tpl”, mainly because that was what I was using before and at some point I shall want to work backwards through my other themes to use the new plugin.

Really, I think that all it needs from the Devs is to include “_templates” (or whatever is decided) in the Txp download and move the default theme images into their own “Default” directory inside it. I can’t see that it involves much work and I suspect that there may be at least a “minor” release to include the revisions since 4.3.0. I don’t see any backwards-compatibility issues. Do tell if I’m missing something there.

Not sure how this goes down with Txp5 cuz we don’t have anything to look at yet, but if templating/theming is going to be an integral part of it then there will have to be a theme “storage” directory somewhere. Why not get it sorted now?

Stuart

#6 2011-01-26 18:03:22

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

It would be good if theme creators, or should that be template creators, followed the same directory constructs if nothing else. Even I have modified the plugin to use “_templates” instead of the default “tpl”, mainly because that was what I was using before and at some point I shall want to work backwards through my other themes to use the new plugin.

Honestly, I don’t really care what directory name is used, as long as we’re on the same page. And like you say, if we all followed the same directory constructs, it would make it easier to keep themes updated as time passes.

Els asked how to deal with outdated code in existing designs, but until we come up with standards to live by, going back through old designs is not something anybody is going to want to deal with at this point.

#7 2011-06-22 18:46:16

saumbetl

Alright, I just downloaded coda and I am getting around (this is my first time using textpattern). But I am having a problem with my images. I upload them and put the reference # in the “article image” box in the write section but the images just show up blank with a little “x” in the corner (like the link is missing). I have no idea what I am doing wrong. This is mainly on the slider on the main page. I haven’t tried to the photo section yet. Help!

#8 2011-06-22 20:08:25

artagesw
Website

thebombsite wrote:

Not sure how this goes down with Txp5 cuz we don’t have anything to look at yet, but if templating/theming is going to be an integral part of it then there will have to be a theme “storage” directory somewhere. Why not get it sorted now?

We haven’t yet begun the discussion around how front-side themes will work in Txp5, but it is definitely on the list. What I have done in Escher is to package up a theme as a single XML file that can be easily imported/exported into/out of the CMS. It is working quite well, and is very easy for the user in terms of installation and management. So this might be an approach we consider for Txp5 as well. One of the nice things about the approach is that it does not require any additional server-side directories or administration. Themes can be uploaded directly to the site database via the browser – similar to how plugins work in Txp4.

Last edited by artagesw (2011-06-22 20:08:47)

#9 2011-06-23 13:04:49

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@saumbetl – could you send me a login so I can check your settings please?

Stuart

#10 2011-06-28 15:34:26

saumbetl

@thebombsite

Were you able to get the login info? I am building the site locally so I am not sure how it works with other looking at it. I would appreciate the help.
Thanks

#11 2011-06-28 21:05:51

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

If you are developing locally then access for me is a non-starter.

You could develop on-line and use the rvm_maintenance plugin to hide the site from visitors until it is ready.

I’m just wondering if you are doing things correctly.

First of all are you uploading images to the “Images” tab in admin?
When you enter the image id it should only be the number. Do not use quotes or the hash-tag.

Stuart

#12 2011-06-29 12:48:38

saumbetl

I am doing this site for a company that already has an existing site so I don’t think I will be able to develop it on-line since they want to keep the old one up for now.

I am uploading the images in the content>images tab, and yes I just enter the number and nothing else. When I go to view it the image area is blank with a little “x” in the top left corner like the link is missing. But I am able to manually put in the file name (/images/name.jpg) in the article image box and it works. Although I had to manually change the dimensions to 700 px wide so the image could be seen.

I haven’t even tried to do the “photo” section because it would be a lot easier with the image upload. Any ideas????

1. Index
  2. » Theme support
  3. » Coda

Board footer