Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2011-01-24 14:17:44

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [mention] 2010 Open Source CMS Market Share Report

Destry wrote:

Nobody really seems to care about community growth, and that, at the very root of it, is what’s causing the downward trend in this graph.

Makes note to self: Must make more forum posts concerning community growth ;)

Nice analysis Destry, even though it’s quite disheartening.

#26 2011-01-24 14:39:40

Destry
Website

In any case, this is the real right way to pick any CMS: Strategic Content Management, even though we all have our pets. :)

#27 2011-01-24 16:22:58

douglgm
Website

Surely an inclusion in the list of “Top 20 Open Source Content Management Systems” is a good thing? (looking for that silver lining…)

#28 2011-01-25 00:08:35

tye
Website

I just skim read this thread, but maybe its up to the txp users (like me) the ones who aren’t connected with the core coding, or plugin coding, to broadcast about txp… and how we’ve used it to make certain sites…

I know I’m pretty quite in that area… err… actually silent

#29 2011-04-02 00:53:59

amavai

Hi Forum,

I arrive here finding information about how to expand the custom field area in the admin interface. But I read the 3 pages of this threat and I have the needs to express myself with the hope that someone of the big fish ( at least three of the most important) here in the textpattter community will read it.

I am agree with Destry. The most important focus here is the documentation.

The product is amazing, really. I don’t have any idea about php, and this software saved my life a lot of times, making a cms with quality and easy to use by the customers. I don’t have nothing to say about the software. I just would like that in the situations that you looking for a job , in the list of cms that you need to know , appear Texpattern.

The only problem that I have with this programme is in terms of documentation. I can’t believe sometimes the amount of time that I have to spend on this forum trying to find a solutions to, sometimes, a common task ( the last one was how to sort an article list, without repeating on the article archive, thanks a lot Els!)

So this is what I am trying to say. I suppose that more people around there coming here with the same problem. Will be great if we, the users, have a place to find the most relevant problems developing a website in an ordered way. All the information is here! in the forum!

Regarding the websites around:

A quick example. Try to go to textpattern.com and on the search field type “tag reference”….

Another quick example, why I arrive here when I was looking information about the custom fields?

Destry, if you have time to go on that direction, will be great! And if you need help to do it , here I am!

Regarding what Bloke said about how to promote this cms, unfortunately we are fare away from Wordpress , Joomla, etc.. but all the people here should know that the solutions that you provide, is much, much better for people without programming background. Probably one of the reason that is not very famous (or not famous) is because still some people have the feeling that is difficult to use. And the main reason for that is because we want to find solutions quickly.

Thank you for all! we will see you on the next threat!

Amavai

Last edited by amavai (2011-04-02 01:24:16)

#30 2011-08-11 21:57:22

Destry
Website

Hi Amavai,

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner. But thanks for your comments. It should be no surprise to anyone that I agree this Forum is not the place to learn how to do things unless you’ve got nothing better to do. You’re right, there’s a wealth of information in this forum, but it’s just buried and practically useless for anyone simply needing to get stuff done quickly. Nobody should have to wade through 50 pages of a plugin thread, for example, to find what the latest state of things are.

I could go on with many examples, but the bottom line is the forum should be a last resort as far as the documentation/learning goes. I’ve put a couple of things in place towards improving the docs since this thread started, and there’s some work to do yet, but I’m hoping once the foundational document tools are in place, and I’ve tightened up the wiki structure a bit more, we can return again to textpattern.com’s content and look at it not inwardly this time but outwardly against the other family of sites. As it is now, .com really doesn’t know what it’s trying to do, outside of being a faceplate for the project.

Onward and upward!

Board footer