Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-08-24 12:58:08

Destry
Website

Re: Flexible images with CSS

Thanks. I think I can manage it again, and try and update those wiki pages (He says.)

#14 2010-08-24 23:04:20

Destry
Website

Just to follow up…

First, images are now scaling as they should. Woot! And the simple piece of solution that worked after updating to 4.x branch: <txp:article_image width="0" height="0" class="theme framed" />. Thanks to both of you guys for providing the clues.

Second, I installed Versions (just discovered today), which allowed me to quickly checkout a copy of the 4.x branch on Goog and update my local site easily. [Note to anyone who cares: Versions is the best SVN client for Mac I’ve ever seen or used.]

Third, I think I found a bug in the 4.x code. After updating, and going to the Forms panel, I discovered all my forms were not listed (quite a scare), just the defaults. However everything seemed to be well on the frontend. I copied the 4.2.0 version of txp_form.php back into the file tree and all my custom forms reappeared in the list. Seems to be okay so far. I’ll report this in the proper channel, but just wanted to get it out while it’s on my mind.

#15 2010-08-24 23:56:21

uli

Destry wrote:

After updating, and going to the Forms panel, I discovered all my forms were not listed (quite a scare), just the defaults. However everything seemed to be well on the frontend.

Did you click them? The forms are now grouped into types, each type is a h3 class plain lever, like the Advanced Options on the Write tab. It’s my guess you only found the scarying changes, not the improved functionality?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#16 2010-08-25 00:06:49

Destry
Website

You’re probably right, which means it’s not very good design as it stands, despite the improved functionality. Nothing there was evident to suggest to veteran users that those were interactive dropdowns. I’ll have to go back and look again, but I don’t recall there being any arrows or whatever one would expect in such case. It was just a ‘whoah, big problem’ shocker.

Admittedly, I’m not very good about reading change logs. Still…

#17 2010-08-25 00:26:05

Destry
Website

Destry wrote:

Nothing there was evident to suggest to veteran users that those were interactive dropdowns. I’ll have to go back and look again…

I looked, and I stand corrected. This time I see the little plus signs. I must need glasses.

Thanks, Uli!

#18 2010-08-25 01:48:09

maverick
Website

Destry wrote:

Versions is the best SVN client for Mac I’ve ever seen or used.

Thanks for the tip. I’m always interested in checking out new software.

fwiw, I’ve used the command line on my Mac for svn updating (on dreamhost). It’s not pretty, but its fast and easy. :)

#19 2010-08-25 01:53:05

maverick
Website

Destry wrote:

You’re probably right, which means it’s not very good design as it stands, despite the improved functionality. Nothing there was evident to suggest to veteran users that those were interactive dropdowns.

I don’t recall there being any arrows or whatever one would expect in such case.

I looked, and I stand corrected. This time I see the little plus signs. I must need glasses.

Too funny. I can tell you’re a mac user. :-D

We were just discussing +/- and arrows

#20 2010-08-25 06:07:43

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote:

You’re probably right, which means it’s not very good design as it stands

OT: This is what worried me about doing it in the first place. If it is bad design, please suggest improvements (despite using arrows instead of +/-, which I think we’ll do anyway). Alternatively I can pretty easily revert to the old two-column mrthod at the expense of a little lost horizontal real estate. All I was trying to do was make the textarea a bit wider and allow people to fold away form types they don’t use much. It seems to have caused untold problems so perhaps this is one change that should be rescinded… if you have any further thoughts, throw them on the +/- thread that maverick linked to. Ta!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#21 2010-08-25 10:29:27

Destry
Website

I probably should have said something like ‘not clearly executed’, rather than “not very good design.” Hope nobody took offense.

I like the new functionality. Don’t change that back.

I’m not a fan of the +/- signs, though. What my subconscious probably did was immediately evaluate them as bullets, and so my conscious side looked right over them and panicked. Plus/minus signs always remind me of navigating file trees, which, while analogous, never seems like the right context.

I like arrows, and especially arrows that can also be clicked to trigger the expand/collapse action; not separately from the text, but as a whole region. For example, making them a background on the header anchor, putting a display:block on it for added hot real estate (with top/bottom padding?), and maybe a hover change on the graphic to point arrow down. That way if someone hovers they see the intended action without clicking. Something like that?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the default presentation outside of just making it a bit more clear. Once TXP 5 rolls around, I’m sure there’s going to be an explosion of admin-side themes. :)

Board footer