Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#121 2010-01-21 23:08:23

Daragh
Website

Re: asv_tumblelog

Form is pretty basic right now:

<a href="<txp:custom_field name="Source Link Field" />"><txp:title /></a> <txp:body /><txp:permlink>#</txp:permlink>

I understand the source link field, my problem is with the permlink tag outputting nothing because the “URL only title field” doesn’t get filled out automatically, as it does when you enter an article through the TXP web interface – “My Article Name” would populate the field in question with “my-article-name”. With nothing in that field, permalinks spit up 404s until you manually enter something else.

#122 2010-01-22 00:38:58

merz1
Website

Hmm, I see, no idea from my side. In my case – I am feeding a delicious.com feed – everything works.

But after import the article title field is filled?
Or do you have the rare chance to see a feed without item titles in the wild :)

FYI: I use clean URL ‘ID/section/title’.

I have an Idea :)

With nothing in that field, permalinks spit up 404s until you manually enter something else.

There is an smd_* plug-in by bloke (Hey bloke, do you copy?) which allows to address the articles by ID only. Main purpose is an URL shortener or for canonical links. But I see a good chance that such a domain/id link construct would help in your case. I am too lazy now to do the research but it is possible and you are welcome to post the solution :)

[OT] Bloke, this would be a nice feature for TXP core too: If title field is empty then <txp:permlink>#</txp:permlink> spits out a working ID link.

Last edited by merz1 (2010-01-22 00:40:21)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#123 2010-02-25 07:16:32

rathersplendid
Plugin Author
Website

Is this what you’re looking for, or have I misunderstood..?

<a href="<txp:site_url /><txp:article_id />" title="<txp:title />"><txp:article_id /></a>

Admin Themes Prometheus | Stung | <txp:coder/
My Portfolio | ɹǝpuɐz.com | @MrMartineau
<txp:coder /> – Convert your designs into Textpattern-based websites
jQuery Style | @jquerystyle

#124 2010-05-17 07:59:29

ferenczi

Hi.

I have read through this entire thread three times now; I have read through the plugin documentation many times. Clearly there’s a very simple step that I’m overlooking. The answer is probably right in front of me but I’ve been staring at it so long I can’t see it.

Earlier I thought I was on the right track because I actually got the error reported by others to clear up briefly (i.e., upon manual update, the report of “success” followed by a list of things not being imported). But my twitter feed still wasn’t showing up on the designated page, so I started mucking around, changing custom field names and then changing them back, and now I’m back to

Getting feed://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/55555555.rss Success! Favicon – http://twitter.com/favicon.ico Not importing username: blah blah blah Not importing username: blah blah blah

Can I just try to outline my setup to see if someone could explain this to me in a very very basic way, as if I were a tiny child, step by step?

Txp 4.2.0 (r3275)
PHP version 5.2.11
curl enabled

SimplePie is installed and the demo works. Path to SimplePie is correct.

In admin prefs, under “asv_tumblelo”, the relevant settings are as follows:
asv_tumblelog_sourcelink = “srclink” where srclink is what I am calling custom field 1
asv_tumblelog_section = “test”
asv_tumblelog_simplepie = “/home/mysite/public_html/php/simplepie.inc”
asv_tumblelog_postform = single
asv_tumblelog_rssfeedpage = feed://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/55555555.rss [is this what should be here?]
asv_tumblelog_feed_id_field = “feedid” where feedid is what I am calling custom field 2

Then under Extensions, under Settings, I specify the appropriate section (“Test”), have chosen “srclink” for Source Link Field, have chosen “feedid” for Feed ID field, etc.

Under Feeds, it’s pretty idiot proof, I don’t see how I could have screwed up anything there.

Anyone see anything wrong so far?

For the article form I have tried various things. None of them is right, I’m certain. I know that I should be invoking at least srclink in the article form but am not quite sure how to go about it. Here’s what I’m trying at the moment; I know it’s shite:

<h3 class="entry-title"><a href="<txp:custom_field name="srclink" />"><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></a></h3>
<p class="published"><txp:posted /></p>
<div class="entry-content">
<txp:body />
</div>

Ideally what I would like is for the post title to be simply the unique tweet ID: a number. Possible?

Can anyone please help me to see where I’m going wrong? Anything else I should post? Permanent link mode is set to section/title, if that’s relevant here. Please excuse the length of this post and thank you in advance for your patience.

Oh, not sure if this is relevant, .htaccess I have rewritten as follows to make clean URLs work:

#DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

#Options +FollowSymLinks
#Options -Indexes

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
	RewriteEngine On
	#RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
	RewriteRule ^(.+) - [PT,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
	RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization}  !^$
	RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
</IfModule>

#php_value register_globals 0

#125 2010-05-17 14:02:06

merz1
Website

asv_tumblelog_simplepie = “/home/mysite/public_html/php/simplepie.inc”

If this is the whole path as seen from / then it is OK.
If the whole local (!) path on the server is different/longer then you should use the whole local path.

Just a note: My feed on twitter is http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/15721229.rss so http instead of feed.
Edit/Update: asv_tumblelog_rssfeedpage is empty in my installation. The feeds to import are specified in the ‘feeds’ part of the admin extension.

<h3 class="entry-title">
<a href="<txp:custom_field name="srclink" />">
<txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink>
</a>
</h3>

This is a double href construction. The wrapping a points to the source tweet (in your case) and txp:permlink points to the TXP article URL. You must decide which one you want and delete the other ‘envelope’.

Re .htaccess: I use the standard TXP one without changes.

In most cases in this thread problems were related to wrong paths (as far as I remember).

Last edited by merz1 (2010-05-17 14:10:11)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#126 2010-05-17 22:24:17

ferenczi

Thanks so much for your response, Markus. I have spent the past few hours staring at this, changing things, trying things, and it’s still not working for me. I have also reread (a few times) the plugin documentation. I don’t understand how it could be so thorny to get this to work. Seems so straightforward. And yet … it’s so delicate, apparently. There’s a secret to it that I’m just not getting.

Changed feed://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/55555555.rss to http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/55555555.rss

I swapped out my revised htaccess file for txp’s default htaccess file; didn’t seem to change anything.

Thanks for the note about the redundant href construction; changed that.

It must be a path issue.

You say:

If this is the whole path as seen from / then it is OK.
If the whole local (!) path on the server is different/longer then you should use the whole local path.

I want to be sure that I understand what you mean. I have tried both absolute and relative paths. Do you mean something different? This seems like such a simple matter — how could I be getting it wrong?Wouldn’t the full path to simplepie be simply /home/me/public_html/php/simplepie.inc?

Last edited by ferenczi (2010-05-18 06:39:17)

#127 2010-05-18 06:37:44

ferenczi

sthmtc wrote:

markus, you can override update your articles like so:

http://YOURTXPINSTALL/textpattern/index.php?event=asv_tumblelog&step=update&asv_tumblelog_overridedate=1

Maybe this is part of my problem, why it continues to fail to import the twitter feed. Sorry to be so dense, but where would one put the snippet quoted above?

#128 2010-05-18 07:29:05

merz1
Website

Only a minute for a short answer: Use the whole path from TXP diagnosis (which is the absolute path) PLUS Attach the missing elemts for the simplepie.inc.

#129 2010-05-18 09:04:17

ferenczi

Right, that’s what I’ve tried.

Thanks for trying to help, btw. Much appreciated.

Realized I was using v1.6.1. After doing a bit of digging, finally found 1.6.2. Really thought that would solve all my problems, but nope.

One more little question. Reading the help file for the millionth time (it’s basic, but I keep thinking I must have missed something), I see this little note:

Some feeds have special handlers: Twitter – the “username: “ part of the feed will be removed.

Is that something I need to be concerned about?

Otherwise, I’ve narrowed it down to deciphering this little piece of advice:

http://YOURTXPINSTALL/textpattern/index.php?event=asv_tumblelog&step=update&asv_tumblelog_overridedate=1

Now if only I could figure that out. Where do I put that little snippet?

update
Okay, get this. Added another feed (flickr) and that is being successfully imported and that is showing up on my test page. This makes me think even more strongly that I need to do the overridedate=1 thing. If someone could just say “Hey, here’s where you need to put that bit of code,’ I would be very grateful.

Last edited by ferenczi (2010-05-18 20:12:56)

#130 2010-05-18 20:25:40

ferenczi

Okay, after staring at it some more, I get that I’m supposed to put http://YOURTXPINSTALL/textpattern/index.php?event=asv_tumblelog&step=update&asv_tumblelog_overridedate=1 in the actual plugin. Just not sure where. Could someone just maybe give me a line number, something…? Please. Thanks.

I imagine it’s in here somewhere, right? function asv_tumblelog_update($step)

I never imagined it would be so intricate to import a twitter feed. Wow. This has been days now with this plugin.

Last edited by ferenczi (2010-05-18 20:41:29)

#131 2010-05-18 20:55:23

merz1
Website

asv_tumblelog_overridedate=1

I don’t remember this little piece of advice you mention but IMHO this argument is for feeds where you want to import future items (like from a calendar feed) or where you want to use the TXP import date to show up in your standard article stream.

For issues with some (mostly non valid) feeds you might have to check the original SimplePie documentation.
(!) I am not importing Twitter feeds so I don’t want to show you a wrong solution!
But using SimplePie to dynamically show feeds (without asv_tumblelog!) I made the experience that some feeds behave better and look better after sending them through FeedBurner.
Again: This point covers look & validation of feeds and not the import to the TXP article database.

#132 2010-05-18 21:39:55

ferenczi

Markus, the little piece of advice I cite was first mentioned above in post #70.

At any rate, for reasons unknown to me, and without my having edited the plugin code, it is suddenly working and the twitter feed is showing up on my test page. Yay! Knock on wood.

Now I need to refine some things. I would like the title to be the unique ID of the tweet, and I would like it to link to the source. Much like in the tweetie client where you can control click on any tweet to go to the source. I realize this will be difficult (for me). I’m no coder and I need to figure out how to “get” that unique ID. Perhaps too far above my paygrade. I’m going to try, though.

The other thing I need to tackle is I need for URLs within tweets to function as actual hyperlinks, not just text. This probably seems like an odd request. There’s rah_urltolink, but I basically want something that will automagically wrap any string starting with http:// or www. with <a></a> because posts scraped from twitter will arrive with text URLs.

Thanks again for your responses.

Last edited by ferenczi (2010-05-19 03:43:33)

Board footer