Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-12-30 14:15:53

elstrausso
Website

[resolved] Upgrade to textpattern 4.7 broke my entire site.

Hello,
I just upgraded to vers 4.7 (from 4.6), this morning, and I’ve been having some serious issues.
First off, I checked the installation diagnostic and “All Checks Passed”. Installation was fine.
I updated my index.php, and uploaded the new rpc folder. Did everything according
to the txp 4.7 upgrade instructions, however:

Issue 1: My home page is not showing article image thumbnails. Also, links to articles are broken

Issue 2: Article links are broken across all sections of site.

http://www.thedept.com/

I’m using the following plugins: wet_article_thumb, hak_article_image.

My site has been up for the past few months, are running fine, so I think it is safe
to rule out any changes from my site hosting service.

I could really use any suggestions and/or help on where to begin fixing these major problems.

Best,
Elstrausso

Last edited by elstrausso (2008-12-30 14:20:57)

#2 2008-12-30 14:24:40

rsilletti

Re: [resolved] Upgrade to textpattern 4.7 broke my entire site.

Will article links operate as expected if url mode is set to messy?

#3 2008-12-30 14:30:05

els

You’d better check your validation errors first. There are lots of opening and closing html tags in your code that don’t seem to have a matching closing/opening tag. I’m sure fixing this will at least partly solve your problem.

Also, 4.0.7 isn’t as forgiving when it comes to incorrect use of Txp tags as 4.0.6 was. So check your Txp tags carefully for typos etcetera.

#4 2008-12-30 14:30:33

elstrausso
Website

Currently I have permanent link mode set to “messy”.

#5 2008-12-30 15:08:27

elstrausso
Website

I’ve reset my site back to version 4.6 for now. My site is back to its previous working condition, but now textpattern is all buggy, and is stuck on the Languages Preference page, and will not let me access any other section. Any suggestions for fixing this?

thanks,
Elstrausso

Last edited by elstrausso (2008-12-30 15:10:14)

#6 2008-12-30 15:26:40

jstubbs
Website

You should upgrade to 4.07 again and fix the 107 validation errors on your front page to start with. Either that – or incorrect usage of TXP tags – is most likely the cause of your problems after the upgrade.

As Els said, basically.

#7 2008-12-30 16:01:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jstubbs wrote:

… fix the 107 validation errors on your front page…

The good news is that it looks like around 100 of those are caused by a single missing opening <body> tag, so it’s not so bad :-) The others are just your shortcut icons above the <head> section. I’m not convinced fixing those will help (but it might if the plugins rely on an opening body tag).

As for the upgrade to 4.0.7 going wonky, it’s always worked for me from 4.0.6. Perhaps it’s a strange MySQL or PHP version issue that’s causing problems? What versions does your server use? Does running these diagnostic tidbits help shine any light at all?

EDIT: check what eagle-eye ruud says below. Well spotted, sir!

Last edited by Bloke (2008-12-30 16:30:49)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2008-12-30 16:28:13

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Hint: if pages don’t display properly in 4.0.7, look at the HTML source (in live mode). If you see any <txp: tags there, then you’re not using TXP tags correctly (usually easy to fix).

#9 2008-12-30 17:01:33

els

Some more tips: get rid of the </date> and </address> tags; there are no <ul> tags around the <li>s.

#10 2008-12-31 16:20:47

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Els wrote:

Some more tips: get rid of the </date> and </address> tags; there are no <ul> tags around the <li>s.

Come on, made up tags are fun ;D If you are looking for way point out date or address for different tag search engines, you can use one of the valid tag pointing methods that are valid in terms of XHTML, RDFA or some other syntax that some random semantics tag engine uses.

But you definetly can’t use syntax that is included in HTML nor XML, ‘cause XHTML is different language.

And other tip: you have few Textpattern tags rendered in the page source, including </txp:if_excerpt> that shouldn’t be there, which points out that you are doing something wrong, for example typoing TXP tags or missing closing tags.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-12-31 16:27:25)

#11 2009-03-01 02:13:55

elstrausso
Website

Hello Everyone! I Just wanted to follow up from my last post. I’ve finally made the leap to TXP 4.0.8, and have my site up and running again, with only one bug, which I am having some difficulty resolving. When I have only a single image posted to an article, it repeats/ duplicates a few times.

Example:
http://thedept.com/store/androids-rule

You will notice that under the comments box, the image repeats a few more times, and that is the issue. I know I have some mark-up validation issues, but I don’t believe they are causing the problem. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Best,
Elstrausso.

**here is the form code:

<!— PROJECT CELL: Project_form —>
<txp:if_article_list>
<ul class=“cells”>
<li class=“gallery”>
<div class=“cellblock”>
<txp:if_individual_article>
</txp:if_individual_article>
<h5><txp:title /></h5>
<txp:wet_article_thumb />
<txp:body />
<p class=“read-more”> <a href=”<txp:permlink />#body”
title=”<txp:title />”>»View More</a> </p> <hr></hr>
<div class=“date”><txp:posted /> Posted By: <txp:author />
<p class=“tags”><txp:category1 title=“1” link=“1” /> + <txp:category2 title=“1” link=“1” /></p>
<txp:comments_invite wraptag=“p” />
<txp:else />
<!—DETAIL PAGE —>
<div class= “celltitler”>
<h5><txp:title /></h5>
<txp:if_excerpt>
<txp:excerpt />
</txp:if_excerpt>
<div class=“entry-content”>
<p class=“tags”><txp:category1 title=“1” link=“1” /> + <txp:category2 title=“1” link=“1” /></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div class= “nextprev”>
<div class =“cellprevnext”>Next: <txp:link_to_prev showalways=“1”> <txp:prev_title /></txp:link_to_prev>
</div>
<div class =“cellprevnext”>Prev: <txp:link_to_next showalways=“1”><txp:next_title /></txp:link_to_next>
</div>
<div class =“cellprevnext”><a href=“http://thedept.com/index.php?s=projects”> Projects Gallery </a>
</div>
</div>
<txp:hak_article_image linktype=‘page’ link=‘1’ linktitle=‘txp:caption’ wraptag=“li” form=“hakimage” />
</div>
<txp:comments />
<txp:comments_form />
</txp:if_individual_article>
</div>
</li>
</ul>
</txp:if_article_list>

#12 2009-03-01 03:28:44

elstrausso
Website

Hello, I solved the issue! I had a few extra <txp:article_image/> in my code.
Issue Resolved!

best,
Elstrausso

Board footer