Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#505 2008-10-27 13:44:06

WebKat

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

merz1 wrote:

RTFM: txp:tru_tags_tag_parameter

Jesus, don’t be rude about it or anything. For some of us, the “FM” can be a little daunting and sometimes what a given tag or parameter means/does is not actually completely obvious just from looking at it. Wow, I really hate attitudes like yours.

Last edited by OpalCat (2008-10-27 13:44:28)

WebKat

#506 2008-10-27 13:57:11

macinchik

Yeah, I discovered the elusive tag cited above sometime around 2am, whilst trolling through the entirety of this thread for code snippets.

Still having a few problems with the categorized archive page described in the documentation (i.e. Txp doesn’t seem to be recognizing txp:tru_tags_archive) — but I’ll keep working on it.

This is an excellent extension to a really exciting CMS. Thank you so much, truist, for all your good and hard work on its behalf.

J

#507 2008-10-27 17:07:15

merz1
Website

OpalCat wrote:

Jesus, don’t be rude about it or anything. For some of us, the “FM” can be a little daunting and sometimes what a given tag or parameter means/does is not actually completely obvious just from looking at it. Wow, I really hate attitudes like yours.

Hey, come on, you should know that I am not rude and that I don’t have a bad attitude when it comes to helping people with Textpattern information (as the code example shows pretty well). For me receiving a RTFM is a concrete hint that the information is in the documentation and not a personal attack.

Back to the RTfineM (extra edit for sensitive OpalCats): The tru_tags documentation is easy to read and it is also necessary to read it to understand the tags.

Last edited by merz1 (2008-10-27 17:21:45)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#508 2008-10-27 18:58:32

WebKat

I think “RTFM” is the equivalent of saying “Hey, moron, quit wasting our time” and unless it’s made in an obviously joking manner between two people who have a history of teasing each other in that kind of way, it is always a personal attack. I got nothing to indicate otherwise from your post, and I think it’s out of line.

I’m an intelligent person and I do read the documentation that comes with things, but I often find myself asking “stupid” questions because I’m an artist, not a programmer, and my brain doesn’t process stuff “that way” and so what may be bleedingly obvious to you may not stand out at all to me. Sometimes it takes a nudge to make the light go on. Just because someone has a question does not mean they haven’t read and tried to understand the documentation.

WebKat

#509 2008-10-27 21:52:03

merz1
Website

Katherine let’s stop that now please. I am German and my history is usenet and multiple bulletin board systems where RTFM was considered as a synonym for ‘frankly speaking you should consult the documentation for a well documented answer before generally asking for features here’. And yes, a single RTFM without further hint or help is rude but still marks/makes the point.

But I am willing to excuse for my bad behavior because of insulting you (and maybe others too) which was definitely not my aim/intention.

@all: Sorry for the pretty unnecessary Off Topic discussion in this thread.

Last edited by merz1 (2008-10-27 21:53:34)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#510 2008-10-28 13:32:21

WebKat

This is the last I will say about it, but I think you have missed my point, which is that you should not assume that someone has not already read the documentation just because they didn’t understand or grasp something from it and are asking for guidance. I know that in my case, I can read the documentation, and then have questions anyway that I can either ask help on and work through in a short period of time, or I can laboriously re-re-re-read and struggle to find and understand some detail from the documentation over the course of several hours—and even then be uncertain. I guess I misunderstood the point of a help forum, since apparently it is only to be used when after countless hours of solo struggling have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no documentation of your problem.

Honestly if I’d come across this thread at the beginning, I would never have begun using Textpattern. And I’m not alone in finding your initial post dismissive and hostile. I’ve had off-board correspondence sent my way agreeing with me.

WebKat

#511 2008-10-28 14:30:04

macinchik

Yes, I found the remark hostile — and (possibly) understandably so if I had really been one of those people that jump straight to asking questions without doing their homework first — but I had in fact consulted the documentation quite a bit in this case, and had misinterpreted things, exactly as OpalCat describes above (I had seen the tag in question but I thought it only functioned in the scope of the search function).

So, yeah, Markus, I would suggest going easy on the “RTFM” in the future unless you know how someone will interpret your tone, or are sure that someone really is just looking for easy answers, and instead of quoting the manual, point people in the right direction, but don’t do their work for them.

Now let’s get back to tagging! :)

Cheers,

#512 2008-10-28 15:52:54

merz1
Website

@macinchik OK, here is my personal excuse for you. But pls. accept, as you know me by now (if you read the thread), that the hostile shortcut (& the hint & the code exampel) was never meant in a hostile way but just as a ‘shortcut’.

Next time I will use the more fuzzy FYI or a simple A: to be on the save side.

Nathan

I had seen the tag in question but I thought it only functioned in the scope of the search function

Hmm, how can this be better explained in the instructions? Now the docu says:

tru_tags_tag_parameter

This tag can be used anywhere and will return the name of the current tag under search, during a tag search. This is generally used with tru_tags_if_tag_search.

Maybe something like this:

This tag returns the tag (keyword) you are searching for. This way it is possible to render the ‘keyword’ searched for on a ‘tag search result page’ (/tag/keyword). This is generally used with tru_tags_if_tag_search.

Last edited by merz1 (2008-10-28 16:02:42)

#513 2008-12-01 16:23:52

merz1
Website

Did somebody update a TXP installation from 4.0.6 to 4.07 with tru_tags 3.3?

#514 2008-12-01 17:30:47

els

I upgraded to 4.0.7 using tru_tags 3.0 (didn’t realize there were newer versions). Seems to work fine. I’ll try updating to 3.3 later tonight.

#515 2008-12-01 22:19:31

els

merz1 wrote:

tru_tags 3.3?

Markus, is that a typo? I don’t find anything higher than 3.1 :)

#516 2008-12-02 11:43:11

merz1
Website

@Els: Before downloading and installing 3.3. to your TXP 4.0.7 pls. make sure you have a working backup version. I have read one unconfirmed 4.0.7 article that tru_tags might not work.

Das Update hier im Blog war innerhalb einer Minute durchgeführt. Bis auf das Plugin tru_tags, das hier für die Verwaltung der Tags arbeitet, kamen alle mit der neuen Version anstandslos klar. Ich musste die Tag-Funktion daher kurzfristig deaktivieren, hoffe jedoch auf ein schnelles Plugin-Update.

Source: Textpattern 4.0.7 erschienen – 3rd last paragraph

Tru_tags 3.3. was an unofficial release only mentioned here in the forum thread. You can find the release by listing Nathans forum posts where you will also find more details about the release.

Latest post about tru_tags 3.3
Direct download tru_tags 3.3

Board footer