Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#409 2008-05-15 15:45:57

merz1
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

Using multiple tags to find related articles doesn’t make much sense IMHO (and it is not possible with tru_tags).

What output would you expect for i.e. ‘Hamburg, Lake, Alster, Sailing, HSC’ which is a pretty ‘even’ construction?
More ‘odd’: ‘Review, Book, Article, Graham Greene, American, Literature, Novel, South America, Panama, Tailor’
Or: ‘Church, Catholic, Bread, Party, Wine, Jesus, Fish’

Categories make much more sense because a category is a unique content divider of a higher rank than a tag which is more like a set of abstracts.

What do you want to realize?

Last edited by merz1 (2008-05-15 15:47:55)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#410 2008-05-15 16:06:27

Ruhh

Well, I am using the rss_unlimited_categories plugin and I can’t seem to get the related articles tag to work. It gives me a 500 error so I just turned to tags for article relation.

<txp:Ruhh />

#411 2008-05-15 16:42:28

merz1
Website

• Maybe you should rethink/redesign your data model :)
  • Maybe all your multiple categories per article are tags in fact?

And the Textpattern related articles feature is pretty stable and fast.
In fact many people use multiple categories where tags are the much better information structure model.
Creating a good and transparent information structure through Textpattern sections, categories and tags is great if you really get the logical concept.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#412 2008-05-15 17:26:11

Ruhh

Each of my article has both categories and tags. And I’m not talking about the txp built in related articles tag but the rss_unlimited_categories_related tag. Inserting that tag gives me a 500 internal server error so I had to get rid of it. I got the related articles to work by using tags.

Last edited by Ruhh (2008-05-15 17:26:48)

#413 2008-05-19 11:34:35

merz1
Website

> I got the related articles to work by using tags.

??? How?

If I try to understand … What you are saying is that you are using the TXP core ‘related by categories’ feature now and that you outsourced your multiple categories into tags a.k.a. keywords.

(My) Rule of thumb for transparent archive pages wit TXP (granular content):

• Draw a hard line between different content by sections. Before adding a section make sure (very sure!) that the content will be very different (or static). Example: personal & business might only be two different sections if they get a different design otherwise two categories will be sufficient.
  • Find related articles by category or categories.
  • Use multiple tags per article to have a fine and granulated possibility to show transparent archive pages by searching for single tags.
  • Optional: You can i.e. trigger a TXP core full text search from every single tag by using the plug-in tru_tags and using a different URL parameter (or Google, Amazon, …).

Last edited by merz1 (2008-05-19 11:34:58)

#414 2008-05-19 14:44:36

Ruhh

<txp:chh_if_data>
<txp:asy_wondertag>
<txp:article_custom keywords="<txp:tru_tags_from_article generatelinks="0" />" section="post" form="Links" limit="5" />
</txp:asy_wondertag>
<txp:else />
</txp:chh_if_data>

The above code is used in the default form.

<ul>
<li<txp:glx_hl_current_article />>
<div class="ptitle">
<br /><br />
Related
</div>
<txp:if_different>
&bull; <txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink>
</txp:if_different>
</li>
</ul>

The above code is used in the links form called by the article_custom tag.

I do get five related articles and they seem to be correct.

#415 2008-05-19 19:36:22

merz1
Website

Nice! Nice use of asy_wondertag in combination with tru_tags.

Filed at del.icio.us

#416 2008-05-19 19:40:45

WebKat

Is there more to it than that? Because I tried that and it didn’t work (so I removed it again).

WebKat

#417 2008-05-27 19:38:27

marcrabinowitz

Hi

Has anyone had a problem with their list of tags suddenly disappearing? Also, my article lists aren’t showing anything, as if no articles are tagged, when in fact they all are.

The only thing I have done since it stopped working are add a time=“any” to some <txp:article> tags on 2 page templates, as well as installed some plugins (“msv_if_custom_article_date” and “ras_if_dates”).

I’ve de-installed this plugin and reinstalled it, and my redirections are still there, but no current tags are listed. When I write a new article, it doesn’t create any new tags or list them either.

I’m on Textpattern version: 4.0.5 and Tru_Tags 3.1

Thanks!
Marc

#418 2008-05-27 21:01:28

merz1
Website

I have no idea and no real clue.

• list of tags = tag search result page?
  • list of tags = tag list when writing an article?
  • list of tags = listed tags in article form output?
  • article lists = tag search result page?
  • article lists = standard list pages like ‘homepage’?
  • The only thing I have done since it stopped / since = before?
  • my redirections are still there = clean tag urls?
  • it doesn’t create any new tags or list them either = keywords are not stored?

Please take the time to specify the problem and we will try to help.
Please check all the if/else conditions in your templates.
Please quote the used code from the article form(s).

#419 2008-05-27 21:27:42

truist
Plugin Author
Website

It is very likely that the new plugins are the source of the problem. Try disabling them and seeing if your tags reappear.

tru_tags is intentionally smart about ignoring tags from future-dated (i.e. unpublished) articles, so if you’ve done something that makes it look like the articles have dates in the future, then your tags will disappear.

It is quite possible that there is a bug in tru_tags, but it’s very unlikely that the bug would have randomly caused all your tags to disappear, without some external triggering event. Figure out what triggered the change (probably the new plugins) and we can go from there to figure out why.

#420 2008-05-27 21:59:59

WebKat

I have an odd thing happening…

When I click on a tag either from an article or from the tag cloud, what I want to get is a list of articles with that tag, showing an excerpt. What I actually get is my list for the most part but some of the articles will display the whole article rather than the excerpt. It seems like the ones showing an excerpt are the ones that have something filled out in the excerpt box, and the ones that aren’t are the ones that don’t. Generally speaking I don’t like to put in an excerpt and just let rss_auto_excerpt grab the first part of the article.

I am not sure if this is the way I’ve laid it out or what, and unfortunately I haven’t played with these forms and stuff in quite a while so it would take me a while to figure out what is going on (if indeed I can) and so before I devoted a billion hours to it I figured I’d throw it out here in case the answer is really obvious to someone better versed in both txp and this plugin…

I really hope it’s not just that the tags plugin can’t use the auto excerpt…

Here is an example: tag for recipe

Last edited by OpalCat (2008-05-27 22:00:40)

WebKat

Board footer